Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy MO's at Post Office(2017-2018)[Gift Cards no Longer Allowed]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2017, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: shdflyer
11/3/17: The vast majority of popular prepaid debit cards are now blocked via a register hardcode at most locations.

This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

Newbies: READ for days and learn before trying. It is best to know what you are doing, so start slow. Refer to cards as "Debit" not gc.

"Money orders can be purchased at any Post Office™ location.
Pay for your money order with cash, debit card, or traveler’s checks."

Fees:
$0.01 to $500.00: $1.20
$500.01 to $1,000.00: $1.60

Most post offices allow split payment (multiple debit cards) for one money order up to a max of $1000.

Example of how to split payment:

1. "One MO please for $998.40. Id like to pay with 2 debit cards, $500 on each."
2. Swipe first card and enter pin.
3. Remind teller that its "$500 on that card". They will change the amount on their screen to $500. Transaction goes through and a small receipt prints.
4. Swipe 2nd card, enter pin.
5. Done.

Note: If you encounter a problem with the second card and have to cancel the transaction, it can be very difficult to recover your funds on the first card. Always have a back-up payment method available (bank debit card or cash).

GC Information: The fine print on the back of the package shows the bank issuer. Don't buy GCs with tampered packaging and always use cards ASAP.

Visa OneVanilla and Vanilla GC issued by Bancorp work at PO.

Visa/MC Gift Cards issued by MetaBank have not had any success at MOST USPS anywhere in the country since around September 2016.
These will NOT work if the clerk uses a touchscreen
These MAY work, and often do, at small, rural post offices where clerks do not have touch screens.

Visa Gift Cards from Walmart issued by Green Dot have stopped working for MO purchases for some.

GAME MOSTLY OVER, MOST USPO are HARD CODED to NOT ACCEPT NON BANK DEBIT CARDS
Exception seems to be small, rural post offices where clerks do not use touch screens.
Print Wikipost

Buy MO's at Post Office(2017-2018)[Gift Cards no Longer Allowed]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2017, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by lesamuel
Just got rejected at 2 POs in NorCal citing that they needed to see "bank logos" and "my name on the card."

I think the PO is fizzling out.
Same just recently in So Cal. Said they got a memo stating those guidelines.

Last edited by wetsand; Apr 13, 2017 at 12:00 pm Reason: add more details
Old Apr 14, 2017, 1:36 pm

Programs: United 1k, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by cheaptom
My go-to PO in L.A. rejected my OV Visa card. Clerk didn't ask to look at it. Let me swipe and enter pin. Transaction declined, contact bank message.

Doublechecked online to verify I had $500 on the card still.
Same in Chicago, except I don't normally use OV this was my first time. Any other suggested ways to liquidate?
Old Apr 14, 2017, 2:04 pm

Did my first MS today bought a MO with a Bancorp OVVG in Massachusetts. At the end of the transaction the clerk asked "would you like any cash back". Is this normal?
Old Apr 14, 2017, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by Lavezzi
Same in Chicago, except I don't normally use OV this was my first time. Any other suggested ways to liquidate?
Get Mo at your favorite grocery store, reload a prepaid at dollar general...
Old Apr 14, 2017, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by MilesToSmiles
Did my first MS today bought a MO with a Bancorp OVVG in Massachusetts. At the end of the transaction the clerk asked "would you like any cash back". Is this normal?
Yes it is normal. I have had several po emloyees ask me that..To which I reply ..".no I am fine"...Don't ask for it because you can't get cash from a gift card..I'm sure it would void the transaction...I surmise
Old Apr 14, 2017, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by AZDbacks17
Yes it is normal. I have had several po emloyees ask me that..To which I reply ..".no I am fine"...Don't ask for it because you can't get cash from a gift card..I'm sure it would void the transaction...I surmise
Went to couple USPS today. It's confirmed to use the real bank debt card to buy MO. I am in L.A. area. Hope all would be changed back again.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by diseased
Just made one mo in Texas with an ovmc meta. Accidentally grabbed two of the 'espanol' versions at three-letter and first tried to unload at FD on Serve but got a card invalid error.

were you able to unload? i did the same thing too today at HEB. WM said no go even though it is MB when i tried for a MO. after some searching, looks like i might be able to unload it at the PO
Old Apr 15, 2017, 1:07 am

Originally Posted by hotttoddie
were you able to unload? i did the same thing too today at HEB. WM said no go even though it is MB when i tried for a MO. after some searching, looks like i might be able to unload it at the PO
Yes, I unloaded both at different post offices.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 1:13 am

Originally Posted by diseased
Just made one mo in Texas with an ovmc meta. Accidentally grabbed two of the 'espanol' versions at three-letter and first tried to unload at FD on Serve but got a card invalid error.
Could you advise where to get OVMC issued by Meta? Thx.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by hickson
Went to couple USPS today. It's confirmed to use the real bank debt card to buy MO. I am in L.A. area. Hope all would be changed back again.
Not "confirmed" at all. Just went to 2 POs around me, no issues.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 11:08 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by Amex For Children Of Africa
Not "confirmed" at all. Just went to 2 POs around me, no issues.
Are you located in Southern Calif?
Old Apr 15, 2017, 1:34 pm

Had someone at the PO ask me if I was using a GC here in Seattle
Old Apr 15, 2017, 2:27 pm

found mine at HEB grocery store, I've read people are also seeing them at Sam's club.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 2:35 pm

WM, but this is the PO thread and metas no longer work there.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by wetsand
Same just recently in So Cal. Said they got a memo stating those guidelines.
Even NJ giving me issues. Manhattan of course is a wasteland, so on a trip over to NJ to visit family, I swung by a local USPS. Said I wanted to pay with debit. "Sure, just need to see the card first." Grrrr.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.