Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy MO's at Post Office(2017-2018)[Gift Cards no Longer Allowed]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2017, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: shdflyer
11/3/17: The vast majority of popular prepaid debit cards are now blocked via a register hardcode at most locations.

This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

Newbies: READ for days and learn before trying. It is best to know what you are doing, so start slow. Refer to cards as "Debit" not gc.

"Money orders can be purchased at any Post Office™ location.
Pay for your money order with cash, debit card, or traveler’s checks."

Fees:
$0.01 to $500.00: $1.20
$500.01 to $1,000.00: $1.60

Most post offices allow split payment (multiple debit cards) for one money order up to a max of $1000.

Example of how to split payment:

1. "One MO please for $998.40. Id like to pay with 2 debit cards, $500 on each."
2. Swipe first card and enter pin.
3. Remind teller that its "$500 on that card". They will change the amount on their screen to $500. Transaction goes through and a small receipt prints.
4. Swipe 2nd card, enter pin.
5. Done.

Note: If you encounter a problem with the second card and have to cancel the transaction, it can be very difficult to recover your funds on the first card. Always have a back-up payment method available (bank debit card or cash).

GC Information: The fine print on the back of the package shows the bank issuer. Don't buy GCs with tampered packaging and always use cards ASAP.

Visa OneVanilla and Vanilla GC issued by Bancorp work at PO.

Visa/MC Gift Cards issued by MetaBank have not had any success at MOST USPS anywhere in the country since around September 2016.
These will NOT work if the clerk uses a touchscreen
These MAY work, and often do, at small, rural post offices where clerks do not have touch screens.

Visa Gift Cards from Walmart issued by Green Dot have stopped working for MO purchases for some.

GAME MOSTLY OVER, MOST USPO are HARD CODED to NOT ACCEPT NON BANK DEBIT CARDS
Exception seems to be small, rural post offices where clerks do not use touch screens.
Print Wikipost

Buy MO's at Post Office(2017-2018)[Gift Cards no Longer Allowed]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2017, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by bookemdano
Coin got bought out/shut down by Fitbit. Even the existing cards don't work anymore IIRC. There is another one called Plastc that is basically vaporware at this point. I think their site is still up (and the renderings of the product look amazing) but they got kinda jacked by the EMV adoption (it's basically impossible to make that type of product EMV compatible).

I've wondered myself about copying the mag strip from GCs to a real debit card. Seems like it should be possible but then again I've never been asked to show the card in my area (yet).
Ya, I think there are a handful of cards that do work the traditional way with multiple cards... I think a couple are getting ready to ship with a chip BUT that feature requires a firmware update and the bank to work with them.

I've seen fairly cheap mag strip reader/writer kits for like $100 or less and it looks like they can write card numbers and expiration date and stuff like that... maybe I'll snag one, but boy that eats into my profits BIG TIME since I don't have a card that earns bonus in office stores or gas stations :P
Old Apr 8, 2017, 6:06 pm

Programs: Chase, Amex, Citi, basically all of them
DP: OV worked fine in Manhasset, Long Island for $1000.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA ExP || SPG Plt || Honors Diamond || UA Silver
Originally Posted by Skyriv3r
Did he void the transaction? Did you use a different card to finish the purchase? In either case, the fund will go back to your OV card in about 48 hours. Had it happened in a grocery store.
I used another card to finish the transaction. Hope it will come back to my card automatically. It has been 48hrs now but still showing zero available balance
Old Apr 9, 2017, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by mrsmsr
I used another card to finish the transaction. Hope it will come back to my card automatically. It has been 48hrs now but still showing zero available balance
because of the weekend, give it until Tuesday and if it's not back to your GC, that's the time to call. Good luck!
Old Apr 9, 2017, 5:14 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
I'm sure this has been covered but there are 32 pages...

My local supermarket has started carrying $500 variable load Visa and MasterCard GCs as of this week. I had stopped paying attention because they were for the longest time only carrying variable load up to $200.

Can US Bank VGC or MCGC be liquidated at the PO? I know Vanilla can...as recently as yesterday I liquidated some...and Metabank can't...but my quick google search did not find in this thread US Bank brand cards.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by jags86
Can US Bank VGC or MCGC be liquidated at the PO? I know Vanilla can...as recently as yesterday I liquidated some...and Metabank can't...but my quick google search did not find in this thread US Bank brand cards.
yes and no, reports are 50/50 so try it yourself at YOUR PO.

just a word of caution if you have not read recent developments ~ a lot of USB MCGCs have been compromised still sold at stores. read the thread discussing USB GC problems to save you a lot of headaches.

you're welcome
Old Apr 9, 2017, 10:13 pm

does staples / lowes / homedepo cards work at PO?
Old Apr 9, 2017, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by hyperdallas
No
Old Apr 10, 2017, 2:48 am

Originally Posted by hyperdallas
yes, but you have to ask specifically for each version as in:

Buy a Lowes store gift card.
Ask the post office clerk
"Can I have a home improvement money order please?"
Old Apr 10, 2017, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by Mamibear
yes and no, reports are 50/50 so try it yourself at YOUR PO.

just a word of caution if you have not read recent developments ~ a lot of USB MCGCs have been compromised still sold at stores. read the thread discussing USB GC problems to save you a lot of headaches.

you're welcome
Makes more sense why I'm having issues the last couple of days liquidating my MGCs at USPS. I've gotten card decline error twice at two different locations, one I've never been to and one I frequent all the time.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 10:15 am

The other day, I tried to buy a $1,000 MO and also a $500 on a separate transaction. I started with the $1,000, and the Clerk had no idea how to split the bill. I tried to tutor her, but she got angry, so I asked her to cancel it. Instead, I then asked for three different MOs for $498.80 each, and I need them rung up as separate orders.

First two went fine. Two different VGCs. On the third one, she was back to being angry and impatient. She rang up #3 , and I got to the point where I swiped VGC #3 and entered the PIN and she put the blank MO into the printer...THEN she asked me out of the blue "Are you paying for these on the same card?"

Kinda caught me off guard, so I answered: "It's my debit card."
"But have you been swiping the same card?"
I said "Yes," meaning that they are all from VGC brand.

She then went into her cash register and printed out some receipts. I had my own receipts from the 2 successful purchases in my hand, so she printed out her own copies. Glanced at them and said, "No, you used different cards. I'm canceling the transaction."

I started to play dumb, but instead made the decision to grab the 2 successful MOs and leave. The 3rd VGC still has $500 on it, so I know she didn't charge me.

I guess I could have answered, "No. They are 3 different debit cards from 3 different accounts" and I might have been okay. Honestly though, I thought she'd just complete the third transaction to get rid of me and call it a day. My own fault for letting her catch me off guard, and i stumbled.

And I still don't know why she was so angry to begin with. As if my requests were so much more difficult for her than dealing with old folks trying to mail gifts to their grandkids and taking an hour and a half of her time asking about tracking and confirmation.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 10:27 am

Programs: United Gold (frmer. 1k and GS), AAdvantage Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by cheaptom
Glanced at them and said, "No, you used different cards. I'm canceling the transaction."
What general area of the US?

This is one of my fears with the rumblings of declining multiple swipes at the PO...
Old Apr 10, 2017, 10:35 am

And I still don't know why she was so angry to begin with.
Because multiple swipes is not the norm and raises red flags. It will likely eventually get the locale shutdown.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by lesamuel
What general area of the US?

This is one of my fears with the rumblings of declining multiple swipes at the PO...
I'm in L.A. My thinking is that "multiple swipes" applies to the SAME purchase. That is, one purchase, spread out over multiple swipes. I can see why that may raise flags.

But when you're doing separate transactions, you're essentially doing one swipe per purchase, and I didn't think it was anything wrong.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 11:20 am

I'm in L.A. My thinking is that "multiple swipes" applies to the SAME purchase. That is, one purchase, spread out over multiple swipes. I can see why that may raise flags.

But when you're doing separate transactions, you're essentially doing one swipe per purchase, and I didn't think it was anything wrong.
Yep, you could have two different business accounts or a personal and business, or hell, one business PAYING the another business account, both owned by you but for records reasons the money needs to be kept separate and a money order is the most visible way of transferring the money with a hard copy record, especially if the accounts aren't at the same bank.

I suspect it's the odd amount that is a little more of a tip off IN ADDITION to the 2 or 3+ cards.

If you did two random numbers it might look a little more "normal".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.