Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy MO's at Post Office(2017-2018)[Gift Cards no Longer Allowed]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2017, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: shdflyer
11/3/17: The vast majority of popular prepaid debit cards are now blocked via a register hardcode at most locations.

This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

Newbies: READ for days and learn before trying. It is best to know what you are doing, so start slow. Refer to cards as "Debit" not gc.

"Money orders can be purchased at any Post Office™ location.
Pay for your money order with cash, debit card, or traveler’s checks."

Fees:
$0.01 to $500.00: $1.20
$500.01 to $1,000.00: $1.60

Most post offices allow split payment (multiple debit cards) for one money order up to a max of $1000.

Example of how to split payment:

1. "One MO please for $998.40. Id like to pay with 2 debit cards, $500 on each."
2. Swipe first card and enter pin.
3. Remind teller that its "$500 on that card". They will change the amount on their screen to $500. Transaction goes through and a small receipt prints.
4. Swipe 2nd card, enter pin.
5. Done.

Note: If you encounter a problem with the second card and have to cancel the transaction, it can be very difficult to recover your funds on the first card. Always have a back-up payment method available (bank debit card or cash).

GC Information: The fine print on the back of the package shows the bank issuer. Don't buy GCs with tampered packaging and always use cards ASAP.

Visa OneVanilla and Vanilla GC issued by Bancorp work at PO.

Visa/MC Gift Cards issued by MetaBank have not had any success at MOST USPS anywhere in the country since around September 2016.
These will NOT work if the clerk uses a touchscreen
These MAY work, and often do, at small, rural post offices where clerks do not have touch screens.

Visa Gift Cards from Walmart issued by Green Dot have stopped working for MO purchases for some.

GAME MOSTLY OVER, MOST USPO are HARD CODED to NOT ACCEPT NON BANK DEBIT CARDS
Exception seems to be small, rural post offices where clerks do not use touch screens.
Print Wikipost

Buy MO's at Post Office(2017-2018)[Gift Cards no Longer Allowed]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2017, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by DeaconY
Wow.

How did this thread devolve into the MS101 clinic. So many posters that haven't bothered to read any other threads, especially the New to MS thread pinned to the top!
Yeah. How do people dare ask a question on a forum, when they would only need a few hours trying to find relevant information within hundreds of posts in a handful of relevant threads. Those noobs...
Old Mar 26, 2017, 12:39 am

So do USB Visas work at PO? I have used a USB MC in the past, but I think the Visa version is problematic. Any recent DPs?
Old Mar 26, 2017, 10:28 am

A handful of threads have the answer.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by Alcibiades
A handful of threads have the answer.
So do USB Visas work at PO? I have used a USB MC in the past, but I think the Visa version is problematic. Any recent DPs?
Old Mar 26, 2017, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by dothemath
If the answer is so difficult to search for, perhaps it's time for someone to take the initiative, buy a USB visa, attempt to liquidate it at the PO and then report the results back to this thread...
Old Mar 27, 2017, 7:39 am

Programs: MR, TYP, AA, B6, DL, WN, HH, MB, 2V
Can't we all just play nice? ^

To the people looking for handouts - stop asking. Start looking. Nobody on this thread has problems with fair, well thought out or researched questions. The "Does this work or not" questions are frustrating because the answers aren't all that hard to find. Research a bit, try a few things yourself, and come back with interesting, thoughtful arguments and answers.

To the people being short and snarky - relax. There's always going to be people looking for a free ride, just ignore them, and let's get back on the MOs from PO subject, right? I mean no sense in getting a notification for this thread every time somebody just says "Read the wiki." Ignore the questions you don't want to answer, and just keep rolling. I'd venture they're more likely to stop asking if they get ignored, rather than fighting with them and stoking the fire.

So, how about those money orders?
Old Mar 27, 2017, 11:23 am

I've read the wiki and about 80% of the posts from late November (the last time I tried buying a MO at the USPS) until now. I think I know the answer, but I'm looking for confirmation or additional advice.

Question: Do OV (Bancorp) from CVS still work to buy MOs at the post office? Answer: Yes (please confirm).

Going through the thread, I've read a few sporadic reports of problems, but nothing widespread. The problems seem to be a few USPS locations that won't take gift cards at all and some temporary glitches (possibly connectivity issues) that worked themselves out.

Is that accurate? I'm in Michigan, and after doing the CVS-OV-USPS-MO trip a couple of dozen times over the past two years, this is the first time I've ever had an issue. I tried to buy a book of 20 stamps plus a $489 MO, and it wouldn't go through. I confirmed the balance on the card was $500, went back and tried to buy stamps plus a $400 MO. No luck. Assuming OVs still work, any ideas what went wrong?
Old Mar 27, 2017, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by LWT3
I've read the wiki and about 80% of the posts from late November (the last time I tried buying a MO at the USPS) until now. I think I know the answer, but I'm looking for confirmation or additional advice.

Question: Do OV (Bancorp) from CVS still work to buy MOs at the post office? Answer: Yes (please confirm).

Going through the thread, I've read a few sporadic reports of problems, but nothing widespread. The problems seem to be a few USPS locations that won't take gift cards at all and some temporary glitches (possibly connectivity issues) that worked themselves out.

Is that accurate? I'm in Michigan, and after doing the CVS-OV-USPS-MO trip a couple of dozen times over the past two years, this is the first time I've ever had an issue. I tried to buy a book of 20 stamps plus a $489 MO, and it wouldn't go through. I confirmed the balance on the card was $500, went back and tried to buy stamps plus a $400 MO. No luck. Assuming OVs still work, any ideas what went wrong?
You've got to buy the MO only. No stamps/materials etc. Yes Bancorp OV/V should still be fine. You are right that the problems in the past have been temporary glitches.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by artgriego
You've got to buy the MO only. No stamps/materials etc. Yes Bancorp OV/V should still be fine. You are right that the problems in the past have been temporary glitches.
Lesson learned. Thanks.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 4:13 pm

Yes, I did 4 today.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 9:41 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Indeed, there is no consistency to the failures and policies. Just random acts of kindness. But as the herd continues to overgraze the town common...

...Going through the thread, I've read a few sporadic reports of problems, but nothing widespread. The problems seem to be a few USPS locations that won't take gift cards at all and some temporary glitches (possibly connectivity issues) that worked themselves out...
Old Mar 28, 2017, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Had my first negative experience with a clerk who looked on the verge of going postal. I asked my usual request of two MOs of 1998.40 each. he inputs the data and I said "I will be doing four swipes of $500.00 each please". He snarls at me and says, "Oh no you won't. I will only do one swipe." I thanked him and left and went to the PO in the next town and had no problem doing it as I usually do. Really nasty dude. Thankfully this PO was in an area of the state I rarely go to so don't have to deal with that attitude.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 3:01 pm

Had my first glitch(hopefully) today. Went to use a OVgc at my go to PO. Wouldn't go though, will try again tomorrow at another location. I will say I did steps out of my normal procedure and was charging a shipped item as well.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by nsviking07
Had my first glitch(hopefully) today. Went to use a OVgc at my go to PO. Wouldn't go though, will try again tomorrow at another location. I will say I did steps out of my normal procedure and was charging a shipped item as well.
You can't add any other transaction. Simply buy the MOs as usual and then do a separate transaction for stamps/shipping, etc and payment for it with a different form of payment
Old Mar 29, 2017, 6:31 pm

Got two more MO today in Chicago at the Pilsen USPS location. No problems using Vanilla Bancorp Visa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.