Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy MO's at Post Office(2017-2018)[Gift Cards no Longer Allowed]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2017, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: shdflyer
11/3/17: The vast majority of popular prepaid debit cards are now blocked via a register hardcode at most locations.

This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

Newbies: READ for days and learn before trying. It is best to know what you are doing, so start slow. Refer to cards as "Debit" not gc.

"Money orders can be purchased at any Post Office™ location.
Pay for your money order with cash, debit card, or traveler’s checks."

Fees:
$0.01 to $500.00: $1.20
$500.01 to $1,000.00: $1.60

Most post offices allow split payment (multiple debit cards) for one money order up to a max of $1000.

Example of how to split payment:

1. "One MO please for $998.40. Id like to pay with 2 debit cards, $500 on each."
2. Swipe first card and enter pin.
3. Remind teller that its "$500 on that card". They will change the amount on their screen to $500. Transaction goes through and a small receipt prints.
4. Swipe 2nd card, enter pin.
5. Done.

Note: If you encounter a problem with the second card and have to cancel the transaction, it can be very difficult to recover your funds on the first card. Always have a back-up payment method available (bank debit card or cash).

GC Information: The fine print on the back of the package shows the bank issuer. Don't buy GCs with tampered packaging and always use cards ASAP.

Visa OneVanilla and Vanilla GC issued by Bancorp work at PO.

Visa/MC Gift Cards issued by MetaBank have not had any success at MOST USPS anywhere in the country since around September 2016.
These will NOT work if the clerk uses a touchscreen
These MAY work, and often do, at small, rural post offices where clerks do not have touch screens.

Visa Gift Cards from Walmart issued by Green Dot have stopped working for MO purchases for some.

GAME MOSTLY OVER, MOST USPO are HARD CODED to NOT ACCEPT NON BANK DEBIT CARDS
Exception seems to be small, rural post offices where clerks do not use touch screens.
Print Wikipost

Buy MO's at Post Office(2017-2018)[Gift Cards no Longer Allowed]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2017, 1:26 am

Programs: AGR, UA, AA
OV's haven't worked at Wal Mart for years, dating back to the Bluebird/Serve days. The place most of the old school MS'ers got their GC's for WM liquidation was either the office stores, Simon/Macerich malls, or grocery store variables. OV was good for the post office, though, and it's good to see it's still the case.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 6:26 am

Programs: Several dozen
When was the last time you used a Sam's Meta OneVanilla at the PO? Was that a regular PO or a contract PO?

Originally Posted by Wonko
Yes, and I've used Sam's Club Meta OneVanillas at the PO. Someone else reported that they don't work at WM. Apparently the OneVanilla brand trumps the issuer.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
When was the last time you used a Sam's Meta OneVanilla at the PO? Was that a regular PO or a contract PO?
I've used a Sam's Meta OV MGC successfully at my PO on 1/12/17.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Sometime after January 14 which is when I bought the cards, at a regular PO in Sacramento, CA.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 8:44 am

Programs: AA, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Travelchurner
I'll slow it down and keep this thread updated.
I've yet to be asked for my ID at any USPS.

Seems like they just don't care.
I am a young professional asian guy if it matters.
"They" more than likely don't care, but "they" obviously don't know any better. "They" will end up getting a reprimand and the postal inspector will come calling.

"They" in the above case are the PO employees letting you do this. NOT the post office itself

All you need to do is fill out the FTR (form 8105-A) and have them enter everything into the BSA database. Then you can buy as many MOs as you want in any trip. I do 15k 3x per week.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by shitrus
"They" more than likely don't care, but "they" obviously don't know any better. "They" will end up getting a reprimand and the postal inspector will come calling.

"They" in the above case are the PO employees letting you do this. NOT the post office itself

All you need to do is fill out the FTR (form 8105-A) and have them enter everything into the BSA database. Then you can buy as many MOs as you want in any trip. I do 15k 3x per week.
That's surprising that your PO allows you to do 15k at a time. The limit set by the postal inspector is $10k/customer/day. Lucky find!

http://pe.usps.com/Archive/HTML/DMMA...30810/S020.htm
(1.2b - purchase restrictions)
Old Mar 10, 2017, 11:40 am

I saw dining everywhere debit cards in Lowes $200 with 4.95 fee

Does PO accept them for MO?
Old Mar 10, 2017, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by misterno
I saw dining everywhere debit cards in Lowes $200 with 4.95 fee

Does PO accept them for MO?
No, only WM neighborhood markets and Super Wallys.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by digitalpop
That's surprising that your PO allows you to do 15k at a time. The limit set by the postal inspector is $10k/customer/day. Lucky find!

http://pe.usps.com/Archive/HTML/DMMA...30810/S020.htm
(1.2b - purchase restrictions)
Sounds like this is an old rule. http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/503.htm#ep1150680 12.2.2 doesn't list any restrictions.

Getting way over $10k is no issue at my local PO.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by ff.volker
Sounds like this is an old rule. http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/503.htm#ep1150680 12.2.2 doesn't list any restrictions.

Getting way over $10k is no issue at my local PO.
Do you get any weird issues/comments/requests from the employee when you make that many swipes? I mean it's 20+ swipes minimum! Do they have to hit/do anything on their screen or will it auto draw the card and you just keep swiping as fast as you can on your side with the pin pad?

It just surprises me if you have to tell them to key in "payment of $500" or something each time you need to swipe.

I've only ever done a single money order at a time that's been under $500 including the fee so it looks like a "simple" transaction and I walk away with a couple pennies or exactly zero left on my one vanilla card.

I've realized that it's not really worth it for me if I continue in this manner (now that I'm past the initial spend), but if I became comfortable doing $5,000 at a time or something.... that could be $18.25 I net myself in "travel profit" each visit. That makes a weekly trip worth while. If I can score myself roughly $1,000 year in free travel from 20 minutes out of my week then I would go for it.

(Unfortunately I don't have any legit reason to get a business card, and I'm not up for lying on credit applications to get a card that offers 5x back on office purchases or something... so I'm basing this all on just using the CSR and it's $0.15/pt for travel redemption)
Old Mar 10, 2017, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by acarney
Do you get any weird issues/comments/requests from the employee when you make that many swipes? I mean it's 20+ swipes minimum! Do they have to hit/do anything on their screen or will it auto draw the card and you just keep swiping as fast as you can on your side with the pin pad?

It just surprises me if you have to tell them to key in "payment of $500" or something each time you need to swipe.

I've only ever done a single money order at a time that's been under $500 including the fee so it looks like a "simple" transaction and I walk away with a couple pennies or exactly zero left on my one vanilla card.

I've realized that it's not really worth it for me if I continue in this manner (now that I'm past the initial spend), but if I became comfortable doing $5,000 at a time or something.... that could be $18.25 I net myself in "travel profit" each visit. That makes a weekly trip worth while. If I can score myself roughly $1,000 year in free travel from 20 minutes out of my week then I would go for it.

(Unfortunately I don't have any legit reason to get a business card, and I'm not up for lying on credit applications to get a card that offers 5x back on office purchases or something... so I'm basing this all on just using the CSR and it's $0.15/pt for travel redemption)
That's crazy (in a good way) that some of you guys can do $10k in one visit! I've been doing this MO thing for about two weeks now and going to four a five different PO a week. I only do $498.75 which always bring the total amount to $499.95 on one GC and I do four in one sitting.
Doing four swipes is just about as much as the postal workers can take before I can tell they are getting annoyed and the wheels start churing in their heads as to what I'm up to.

Anyway, today I went to a different PO location for the first time in Manhattan, NY. When I approached the window and told the postal worker that I wanted to buy four money orders on four different receipts he wanted to know what type of debit card(s) I was using. He made me show him the cards and rudely said, "we don't accept gift cards... we are no longer doing that". Even though this are the exact same type Vanilla One gift cards I've use at all the other Post Offices. He was adamant and he would NOT even let me attempt to buy a money order. He went on to say that the only debit cards they are accepting have to be issued by a known bank with my name printed on front of the card. WHAT?!? I didn't put up a fight at all. I wanted to get his employee number and name so I could report this incident so without missing a beat, I bought one stamp so I could get a receipt.

When I got home I called the USPS 1800 number and reported what happened and then I also emailed.
I would [redacted] my pants if all post offices in Manhattan stopped taking Vanilla One GC. I was wondering if I'm asked again show what form of payment I'm using to show my 'real' bank debit card and then switch-a-roo when it's actually time to swipe the card. LOL

Any comments are suggestions folks?

Last edited by ChrisFlyer66; Mar 11, 2017 at 7:41 am Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 8:33 pm

I'd suggest not reporting anything going forward and needlessly drawing attention to yourself and what you're doing, especially in NYC where MS is limited as is. It's YMMV at any location.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by heychrisbaker
When I got home I called the USPS 1800 number and reported what happened and then I also emailed.
I would [redacted] my pants if all post offices in Manhattan stopped taking Vanilla One GC. I was wondering if I'm asked again show what form of payment I'm using to show my 'real' bank debit card and then switch-a-roo when it's actually time to swipe the card. LOL

Yeah, here's a suggestion

One of the golden rules of this hobby is "don't call!". That can also be extrapolated to include "don't email!". All you're doing is placing a spotlight on our activities, not to mention asking questions you might not like the answer to.

And as for your card swap idea, are you comfortable attempting to defraud an entity of the Federal Govt? Best of luck.

Last edited by tcook052; Mar 26, 2017 at 6:26 am Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I've been doing this MO thing for about two weeks now
You don't say...... many of us have been doing this for years.

... WHAT?!? I didn't put up a fight at all. I wanted to get his employee number and name so I could report this incident so without missing a beat, I bought one stamp so I could get a receipt.

Well if you want things to get shut down, then keep doing what you're doing, which is drawing unwanted attention!

If you encounter an unfriendly/hostile customer service rep anywhere (PO, WM, etc) just be like, ok, NBD, and remember to avoid them in the future. They do exist. Congrats on it taking you an entire 2 weeks to find one! You'll find more, you should be a bit more diplomatic and mature about the situation. The less of a fuss you put up the better. To quote a line from Oceans Eleven which I feel is very relevant to our hobby, "He's got to like you then forget you the moment you've left his side." He = anybody selling you a MO with a gift vard

By reporting things up the chain, if the wrong person gets involved or decides to care, what if they contact the postmaster for that office or that region and because you complained and drew attention to it, they decide to impose that one unfriendly CSRs policy on everybody. Did you think of that as a possibility?

Last edited by ChrisFlyer66; Mar 11, 2017 at 7:42 am Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 9:10 pm

NYC/Manhattan is already a well-known MS desert, surely you dont want to make the situation even more difficult? And involving a government entity, no less?

Such knee-jerk, emotional response will not do anyone (and yourself) any good. The key to sustainable MS (or perhaps, life in general) is to be nice to everyone, keep all options open, and maintain a low profile.

Trust the advice the veterans on this forum are giving (the two posters above me) if you want to stay on this hobby.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.