Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy MO's at Post Office(2017-2018)[Gift Cards no Longer Allowed]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2017, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: shdflyer
11/3/17: The vast majority of popular prepaid debit cards are now blocked via a register hardcode at most locations.

This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

Newbies: READ for days and learn before trying. It is best to know what you are doing, so start slow. Refer to cards as "Debit" not gc.

"Money orders can be purchased at any Post Office™ location.
Pay for your money order with cash, debit card, or traveler’s checks."

Fees:
$0.01 to $500.00: $1.20
$500.01 to $1,000.00: $1.60

Most post offices allow split payment (multiple debit cards) for one money order up to a max of $1000.

Example of how to split payment:

1. "One MO please for $998.40. Id like to pay with 2 debit cards, $500 on each."
2. Swipe first card and enter pin.
3. Remind teller that its "$500 on that card". They will change the amount on their screen to $500. Transaction goes through and a small receipt prints.
4. Swipe 2nd card, enter pin.
5. Done.

Note: If you encounter a problem with the second card and have to cancel the transaction, it can be very difficult to recover your funds on the first card. Always have a back-up payment method available (bank debit card or cash).

GC Information: The fine print on the back of the package shows the bank issuer. Don't buy GCs with tampered packaging and always use cards ASAP.

Visa OneVanilla and Vanilla GC issued by Bancorp work at PO.

Visa/MC Gift Cards issued by MetaBank have not had any success at MOST USPS anywhere in the country since around September 2016.
These will NOT work if the clerk uses a touchscreen
These MAY work, and often do, at small, rural post offices where clerks do not have touch screens.

Visa Gift Cards from Walmart issued by Green Dot have stopped working for MO purchases for some.

GAME MOSTLY OVER, MOST USPO are HARD CODED to NOT ACCEPT NON BANK DEBIT CARDS
Exception seems to be small, rural post offices where clerks do not use touch screens.
Print Wikipost

Buy MO's at Post Office(2017-2018)[Gift Cards no Longer Allowed]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2017, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by matt21484
variable load OV bought at 7-11 and MO purchased at PO worked today.
Today I bought a variable OV visa at Walgreens. then went to USPS and purchased MO no problem at all.. took maybe 30 seconds tops. The nice lady clerk pushed the MO to me on the counter and yelled NEXT!

Last edited by AZDbacks17; Feb 18, 2017 at 11:21 pm Reason: descriptive
Old Feb 18, 2017, 9:36 pm

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
are white "Fast Vanilla" VGC the same as OV VGC?
do they work at the same places?
Thanks!
Old Feb 20, 2017, 8:56 am

Which credit card is used the most when buying Gc's from Walgreens and CVS? Are people buying mainly due to not having access to Walmart?
Old Feb 20, 2017, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by briang191
Which credit card is used the most when buying Gc's from Walgreens and CVS? Are people buying mainly due to not having access to Walmart?
Anything that earns more than 1c per dollar spent.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 1:14 pm

OBC (5%), Freedom (5%) when quarter has pharmacy category, Amazon (2%)...
Old Feb 20, 2017, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by randomdude
OBC (5%), Freedom (5%) when quarter has pharmacy category, Amazon (2%)...
thank you. I have two out of the three cards
Old Feb 20, 2017, 4:49 pm

Does the USPS generally accept Sunrise branded VGC for MO purchase?
Old Feb 21, 2017, 3:04 pm

Programs: SPG-Hyatt-IHG-UA-AA-MR-UR
Vanilla MC

Anyone have Vanilla MC from Bancorp require an ID check? Worked for me a couple of weeks ago but now no go.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by Changye
Does the USPS generally accept Sunrise branded VGC for MO purchase?
Don't think that works anymore
Old Feb 22, 2017, 2:28 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
thank you. I have two out of the three cards
I'm curious, did you not know what your cards earn and where before asking here?
Old Feb 22, 2017, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by mhdena
I'm curious, did you not know what your cards earn and where before asking here?
I knew I whAt the cards earned. I was curious to what other cards are being used.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 6:36 pm

Was unable to buy MO today in South Bay with Vanilla gcs purchased from CVS and WG. Didn't work with either split payment or one card transaction. Tried 3 locations, including one at which it worked yesterday. They kept telling me it's some debit card network connection issue. Called and verified that each card had full balance available for use. Anyone else experienced the same?
Old Feb 22, 2017, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by friedice
Was unable to buy MO today in South Bay with Vanilla gcs purchased from CVS and WG. Didn't work with either split payment or one card transaction. Tried 3 locations, including one at which it worked yesterday. They kept telling me it's some debit card network connection issue. Called and verified that each card had full balance available for use. Anyone else experienced the same?
I faced same issue, asked for split payment but first card itself was not going through. I was in hurry so did not checked much. There is full balance on card. Probably some network issue. I did same PO split 5 days back.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by luckypra
I faced same issue, asked for split payment but first card itself was not going through. I was in hurry so did not checked much. There is full balance on card. Probably some network issue. I did same PO split 5 days back.
Today I just used 2 MC Vanilla, at the PO with no trouble, they were issued by bancorp, bought from the Slurpee place
Old Feb 22, 2017, 9:06 pm

Cashed out 4 ov's at an eastbay location at 9am 2/22/17

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.