Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy MO's at Post Office(2017-2018)[Gift Cards no Longer Allowed]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2017, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: shdflyer
11/3/17: The vast majority of popular prepaid debit cards are now blocked via a register hardcode at most locations.

This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

Newbies: READ for days and learn before trying. It is best to know what you are doing, so start slow. Refer to cards as "Debit" not gc.

"Money orders can be purchased at any Post Office™ location.
Pay for your money order with cash, debit card, or traveler’s checks."

Fees:
$0.01 to $500.00: $1.20
$500.01 to $1,000.00: $1.60

Most post offices allow split payment (multiple debit cards) for one money order up to a max of $1000.

Example of how to split payment:

1. "One MO please for $998.40. Id like to pay with 2 debit cards, $500 on each."
2. Swipe first card and enter pin.
3. Remind teller that its "$500 on that card". They will change the amount on their screen to $500. Transaction goes through and a small receipt prints.
4. Swipe 2nd card, enter pin.
5. Done.

Note: If you encounter a problem with the second card and have to cancel the transaction, it can be very difficult to recover your funds on the first card. Always have a back-up payment method available (bank debit card or cash).

GC Information: The fine print on the back of the package shows the bank issuer. Don't buy GCs with tampered packaging and always use cards ASAP.

Visa OneVanilla and Vanilla GC issued by Bancorp work at PO.

Visa/MC Gift Cards issued by MetaBank have not had any success at MOST USPS anywhere in the country since around September 2016.
These will NOT work if the clerk uses a touchscreen
These MAY work, and often do, at small, rural post offices where clerks do not have touch screens.

Visa Gift Cards from Walmart issued by Green Dot have stopped working for MO purchases for some.

GAME MOSTLY OVER, MOST USPO are HARD CODED to NOT ACCEPT NON BANK DEBIT CARDS
Exception seems to be small, rural post offices where clerks do not use touch screens.
Print Wikipost

Buy MO's at Post Office(2017-2018)[Gift Cards no Longer Allowed]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2017, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by heychrisbaker
That's crazy (in a good way) that some of you guys can do $10k in one visit! I've been doing this MO thing for about two weeks now and going to four a five different PO a week. I only do $498.75 which always bring the total amount to $499.95 on one GC and I do four in one sitting.
Doing four swipes is just about as much as the postal workers can take before I can tell they are getting annoyed and the wheels start churing in their heads as to what I'm up to.

Anyway, today I went to a different PO location for the first time in Manhattan, NY. When I approached the window and told the postal worker that I wanted to buy four money orders on four different receipts he wanted to know what type of debit card(s) I was using. He made me show him the cards and rudely said, "we don't accept gift cards... we are no longer doing that". Even though this are the exact same type Vanilla One gift cards I've use at all the other Post Offices. He was adamant and he would NOT even let me attempt to buy a money order. He went on to say that the only debit cards they are accepting have to be issued by a known bank with my name printed on front of the card. WHAT?!? I didn't put up a fight at all. I wanted to get his employee number and name so I could report this incident so without missing a beat, I bought one stamp so I could get a receipt.

When I got home I called the USPS 1800 number and reported what happened and then I also emailed.
I would [redacted] my pants if all post offices in Manhattan stopped taking Vanilla One GC. I was wondering if I'm asked again show what form of payment I'm using to show my 'real' bank debit card and then switch-a-roo when it's actually time to swipe the card. LOL

Any comments are suggestions folks?
[Redacted] I'd say I hope you didn't really do that, but it seems you just did. As for people doing huge volumes, there's nothing to admire there. Them and -to a smaller degree- people like you, are ruining it for everyone. The moment when the reaction of the clerk you describe in your post is going to become the norm is not far from now.

Last edited by ChrisFlyer66; Mar 11, 2017 at 7:42 am Reason: personal attack
Old Mar 11, 2017, 6:39 am

going to four a five different PO a week.
Did you read this thread? Why are you going to so many different PO's? Find one or two that work and do multiple there and fill out the form, if necessary. Not only does it take you a long time to drain, but in the event you are investigated, it looks like you're trying to bypass the FTR. If you want MS to exist, you really need to be doing it as legitimately as possible.

"By federal law, the United States Postal Service is required to obtain information from the purchaser of money orders, wire transfers, and stored value cards when the dollar amount of cash purchases total $3,000 or more (31 USC 5325 and 5331). Multiple purchases during one business day totaling $3,000 or more must be treated as one purchase, and the information must be obtained if a Postal Service™ employee knows or has reason to believe that multiple purchases are being made."
Old Mar 11, 2017, 8:25 am

That's crazy (in a good way) that some of you guys can do $10k in one visit!
Any comments are suggestions folks?
before you even think of buying more USPS MOs, make sure to read this guy's experience since you're in the same state. best to be forewarned so you can think ahead if it happens to you. there's only one MSer I know ~ bengalimilesguru who got away unscathe buying up to $70K MOs per day at a supercenter when LEO questioned him. as long as you know that risks increases exponentially as you buy more MOs and deposit it to your bank, you can ignore what others think/say and just keep rolling your dice. While everything works well, you enjoy all the rewards and benefits but at the first sign of trouble, you're on your own so better make sure you know what you're getting into.

PS: there is no such thing as "safe volume", only inherent risks that one should always be prepared to deal with.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 11:08 am

Ultimately the both guys were hassled but was free to leave. As long as you learn to MS correctly, there's nothing to worry about.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Fly1Away1
Ultimately the both guys were hassled but was free to leave. As long as you learn to MS correctly, there's nothing to worry about.
Is there a book on how to MS correctly? There is never one correct answer for one question, this thread and others prove this.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Is there a book on how to MS correctly? There is never one correct answer for one question, this thread and others prove this.
there's none that I know of regardless of what others say. contrary to what most were saying about filling out forms would get one off the hook, there are reports saying otherwise.

inherent risks are attached to MS and it is up to the individual to know beforehand what these risks are, and if one is not willing to face these risks, they better not engage. IOW, MS is not for the faint of heart.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 8:51 am

so who or where are these reports that are saying otherwise. from what i have read, people were talked to. nobody even mentioned they were told to stop.

Last edited by Fly1Away1; Mar 13, 2017 at 8:58 am
Old Mar 13, 2017, 9:41 am

Just came back from PO and us bank issued mcs from OD didi not work

ir was on and off for the last month. What is going on here?
Old Mar 14, 2017, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Mamibear
there's none that I know of regardless of what others say. contrary to what most were saying about filling out forms would get one off the hook, there are reports saying otherwise.

inherent risks are attached to MS and it is up to the individual to know beforehand what these risks are, and if one is not willing to face these risks, they better not engage. IOW, MS is not for the faint of heart.
This is the problems, people don't see a risk at it, when you have people on these forum "saying" they are MSing 50K/m.

Originally Posted by Fly1Away1
so who or where are these reports that are saying otherwise. from what i have read, people were talked to. nobody even mentioned they were told to stop.
You have to take what a lot of people say with a huge grain of salt, just because it is posted here in the forums doesn't mean it is true. I've been doing this now for 3.5 yrs, I keep telling people MSing is a marathon not a sprint, but of course there are people who say BS about that..
Old Mar 14, 2017, 7:25 am

Just an observation. It seems like debit card machines in PO works differently in different locations. You can get an MO in one of them and 5 minutes later stop by another PO 5 miles away and it does not the same prepaid cards.

Another thing. Some prepaid cards like US bank issued MCs from OD, one week it works the other week it does not.

Just like government, super inefficient and does not make sense
Old Mar 20, 2017, 8:56 am

Programs: AA, Hyatt
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
I keep telling people MSing is a marathon not a sprint, but of course there are people who say BS about that..
I mean, some of us MS for profit, not for miles or whatever, so yes, it is a sprint. Money now is worth more than the same amount of money spread out over time. Anyone that took a finance course ever would be able to tell you that.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by misterno
Just an observation. It seems like debit card machines in PO works differently in different locations. You can get an MO in one of them and 5 minutes later stop by another PO 5 miles away and it does not the same prepaid cards.

Another thing. Some prepaid cards like US bank issued MCs from OD, one week it works the other week it does not.

Just like government, super inefficient and does not make sense

Can MCGC from US Bank be used to by MO at PO?
Old Mar 20, 2017, 9:20 am

Programs: MR, TYP, AA, B6, DL, WN, HH, MB, 2V
Just wanted to drop a quick thank you for the information on this thread I've moved plenty of GCs through Walmart and Kmart, but today was my first time at the Post Office! Had some Vanillas I had to use up.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 1:10 pm

New post office opened near me, so I figured I'd at least try to buy a MO with a metabank GC from giftcards.com. No dice. Where's a good place to buy a VGC with a credit card that is NOT metabank and therefore will be accepted at a USPS?
Thanks!
Old Mar 20, 2017, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by cheaptom
New post office opened near me, so I figured I'd at least try to buy a MO with a metabank GC from giftcards.com. No dice. Where's a good place to buy a VGC with a credit card that is NOT metabank and therefore will be accepted at a USPS?
Thanks!

OneVanilla, google it, it has a list of vendors.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.