Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2017, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Travelz
This is a new thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

READ the posts in this thread before asking questions. Many have already been answered.

10k per day limit including fees - must fill out a form (use cards as a budget tool or whatever you want to put)
Check the Simon website for locations.
VGC issued by meta for 3.95 - Count your cards before you leave the mall
When ordering online, Simon uses GCM.
Print Wikipost

Simon Mall Gift Cards(2017-2018)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2017, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by DrunkAmexChick
The first time I went to a SM I was attempting to buy $5500 in FB's. I filled out the form, asked the gal to split the payment $5122 on my Business Platinum (was testing if this would trigger the 1.5x MR for over $5000 transactions) and the rest on my Business SPG. It was a trainwreck at first. The card got declined, I called Amex spoke to someone about clearing the flag and they instructed me to have the merchant attempt the transaction a second time. It was declined again! A bit embarrassed (and still on hold with Amex) I was incredulous. I asked the rep what had happened and he said even though he (with the card security dept) had cleared the alert, the second attempt had triggered a fraud alert which had to be cleared by a different dept. I had him transfer me, that dept cleared the second alert and I went back to the girl at the SM desk and sheepishly asked that she run the card again. She then instructed me that that particular SM had a policy in place that they would not accept a third attempt after two previous declines. She did say they would accept a different form of payment. Now, I feel bad about this, but I showed her the business platinum again and claimed it was a different card (I had a personal plat to show her when she seemed unsure that I was indeed showing her a different card.) It worked and thankfully, the SPG went through without a problem too. Looking back it was a monumentally stupid first visit to SM, but I'm hoping with repeat visits they get to know me and everything becomes smooth sailing.
A few questions, given that I just got the AmEx Platinum Business. Are you doing this to meet min spend? Did it indeed post as 1.5x MRs?

That's a bold first MS attempt, especially pulling the switcheroo on the cashier! But good for you keeping your calm and pulling it all off!
Old Mar 28, 2017, 7:29 pm

...It was a trainwreck at first. The card got declined, I called Amex spoke to someone about clearing the flag and they instructed me to have the merchant attempt the transaction a second time. It was declined again! ...
AmEx has the online purchase preapproval tool, that is the easiest of all card issuers.
It only asks for the amount of the expected purchase, and will tell you instantly if you'll be approved. It's not exactly flexible, but won't require grilling by phone as with Chase or Citi.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by MaxVO
AmEx has the online purchase preapproval tool, that is the easiest of all card issuers.
It only asks for the amount of the expected purchase, and will tell you instantly if you'll be approved. It's not exactly flexible, but won't require grilling by phone as with Chase or Citi.

I was preapproved using the tool and still had the same decline issues.

Be happy they let two swipes. Mine is a 1 and done.

You will get 1.5 on BP
Old Mar 29, 2017, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by 12HRS
I was preapproved using the tool and still had the same decline issues.

Be happy they let two swipes. Mine is a 1 and done.

You will get 1.5 on BP
Thanks for confirming that about the 1.5x bonus. The points haven't posted yet because it was only last week, but I figured it would work. That's good to know.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 2:13 am

Originally Posted by Mancolt
A few questions, given that I just got the AmEx Platinum Business. Are you doing this to meet min spend? Did it indeed post as 1.5x MRs?

That's a bold first MS attempt, especially pulling the switcheroo on the cashier! But good for you keeping your calm and pulling it all off!
Thanks! It was unbelievable. I left feeling great. MS always gets my heart pumping and I'm really starting to enjoy it.

And to answer your questions: Yes, I am doing this to meet ms; although I'm really starting to rethink this offer I signed up for: 75k for 20k ms in 3 months! Meanwhile, I've got like $25k ms on other cards right now too. And I haven't seen the points yet (this was just last week) but another user just confirmed it should work.

Follow up to that story: I went back this evening and had a lovely experience with a different lady there. I asked her for a copy of the SAR form so I could take it home & prefill it out and make copies to save them time. I then asked her what time they closed and she told me and let me know that I could phone them direct if I was running late and they would wait for me! Then split $3k of FBs between two cards and left, no problems this time.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 3:47 pm

And to answer your questions: Yes, I am doing this to meet ms; although I'm really starting to rethink this offer I signed up for: 75k for 20k ms in 3 months! Meanwhile, I've got like $25k ms on other cards right now too. And I haven't seen the points yet (this was just last week) but another user just confirmed it should work.

Follow up to that story: I went back this evening and had a lovely experience with a different lady there. I asked her for a copy of the SAR form so I could take it home & prefill it out and make copies to save them time. I then asked her what time they closed and she told me and let me know that I could phone them direct if I was running late and they would wait for me! Then split $3k of FBs between two cards and left, no problems this time.
Great call making connections! I don't frequent one place enough to do that, though I may start at my local grocery store, since those money orders print dark enough that they can be accepted for mobile deposit (unlike WM).

I'm not trying to make you feel worse about the card, but there are better offers. I actually received a mailing with an RSVP code for the Business Amex Platinum (100k MR after $10k spend in 3 months). And I've even heard of some people getting a mailer for 150k MR.

In the future, I'd recommend checking a few different sites to see what the current offers available are for the card. It may be worth waiting and tracking down one of those offers before applying. I actually had 2 of the RSVP mailers with unique codes, and shared the code with a user from another forum I frequent.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by Mancolt
Great call making connections! I don't frequent one place enough to do that, though I may start at my local grocery store, since those money orders print dark enough that they can be accepted for mobile deposit (unlike WM).

I'm not trying to make you feel worse about the card, but there are better offers. I actually received a mailing with an RSVP code for the Business Amex Platinum (100k MR after $10k spend in 3 months). And I've even heard of some people getting a mailer for 150k MR.

In the future, I'd recommend checking a few different sites to see what the current offers available are for the card. It may be worth waiting and tracking down one of those offers before applying. I actually had 2 of the RSVP mailers with unique codes, and shared the code with a user from another forum I frequent.
Oh believe me, I was aware of the better offers... I don't remember if I said this already but I got a 100k mailer soon after applying!

5/24 and the SPG higher bonus were kinda forcing my hand...

It was a tough decision to include the biz Plat, one that I mulled over for a few days and ultimately it was the wrong one. I got impulsive and greedy, which, the more I do this the more I realize, is the exact worst trait for churners to have... Sometimes I have to learn lessons the hard way... Oh well. At least the mailer I got didn't have once in a lifetime or 12 month language so I can probably look forward to closing the business plat one day and churning that bonus... Anyone know if they would award the bonus to me from that mailer while currently holding the card? I would guess not...
Old Apr 1, 2017, 11:25 am

Thanks! It was unbelievable. I left feeling great. MS always gets my heart pumping and I'm really starting to enjoy it.

careful not to hit it too hard that potentially get accts frozen for a FR
Old Apr 1, 2017, 5:35 pm

At least the mailer I got didn't have once in a lifetime or 12 month language so I can probably look forward to closing the business plat one day and churning that bonus... Anyone know if they would award the bonus to me from that mailer while currently holding the card? I would guess not...
What will matter is the language on future apps, not past apps. Since you now "have or have had" the product, you will be ineligible for future signup bonus offers on the card with the "lifetime" language.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 12:47 am

Originally Posted by danhouston
careful not to hit it too hard that potentially get accts frozen for a FR
Ah those noobs they don't even realize gift cards to meet minimum spend for Amex bonus is a major no no.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by cashcyclone
Ah those noobs they don't even realize gift cards to meet minimum spend for Amex bonus is a major no no.

wrong. Only if you sign up from a shady link
Old Apr 2, 2017, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by 12HRS
wrong. Only if you sign up from a shady link
The fine print on every Amex bonus offer clearly states that the purchase of cash equivalents does not count towards the minimum spend for a bonus. Specifically they say:

THE FOLLOWING CHARGES DO NOT COUNT TOWARDS THE THRESHOLD AMOUNT: FEES OR INTEREST CHARGES; BALANCE TRANSFERS; CASH ADVANCES; PURCHASES OF TRAVELERS CHECKS; PURCHASES OR RELOADING OF PREPAID CARDS; OR PURCHASES OF OTHER CASH EQUIVALENTS.

The worst part is they disqualify your spend after the period is over so you have no way to get the bonus via normal spend. In other words, you lose.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 6:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
The fine print on every Amex bonus offer clearly states that the purchase of cash equivalents does not count towards the minimum spend for a bonus. Specifically they say:

THE FOLLOWING CHARGES DO NOT COUNT TOWARDS THE THRESHOLD AMOUNT: FEES OR INTEREST CHARGES; BALANCE TRANSFERS; CASH ADVANCES; PURCHASES OF TRAVELERS CHECKS; PURCHASES OR RELOADING OF PREPAID CARDS; OR PURCHASES OF OTHER CASH EQUIVALENTS.

The worst part is they disqualify your spend after the period is over so you have no way to get the bonus via normal spend. In other words, you lose.
You realize that wording has been there for YEARS and yet, for example with Delta cards, SM works just fine and has for years now.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Renes Points
You realize that wording has been there for YEARS and yet, for example with Delta cards, SM works just fine and has for years now.
It works on co-brands. It may or may not work on Membership Reward cards. The latter have some DPs on not working while the former have not seen any non-working DPs - but that does not mean that AMEX would not enforce the T&Cs anytime in the future.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 7:53 pm

I am aware that the purchase of VGCs is explicitly stated by almost all card issuers as being against their T&Cs, or at least not counting for points. There is no way many can legitimately meet some of the spend requirements. They just don't have those kinds of expenses in 3 months, or at least expenses that can be paid with a CD, particularly Amex which is not nearly as widely accepted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.