Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2017, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Travelz
This is a new thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

READ the posts in this thread before asking questions. Many have already been answered.

10k per day limit including fees - must fill out a form (use cards as a budget tool or whatever you want to put)
Check the Simon website for locations.
VGC issued by meta for 3.95 - Count your cards before you leave the mall
When ordering online, Simon uses GCM.
Print Wikipost

Simon Mall Gift Cards(2017-2018)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2017, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by cashcyclone
The fine print on every Amex bonus offer clearly states that the purchase of cash equivalents does not count towards the minimum spend for a bonus. Specifically they say:

THE FOLLOWING CHARGES DO NOT COUNT TOWARDS THE THRESHOLD AMOUNT: FEES OR INTEREST CHARGES; BALANCE TRANSFERS; CASH ADVANCES; PURCHASES OF TRAVELERS CHECKS; PURCHASES OR RELOADING OF PREPAID CARDS; OR PURCHASES OF OTHER CASH EQUIVALENTS.

The worst part is they disqualify your spend after the period is over so you have no way to get the bonus via normal spend. In other words, you lose.
lol you are so wrong
Old Apr 3, 2017, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by Happy
It works on co-brands. It may or may not work on Membership Reward cards. The latter have some DPs on not working while the former have not seen any non-working DPs - but that does not mean that AMEX would not enforce the T&Cs anytime in the future.
Find me a single data point of it not working purely for MS reasons. There is always an issue of using a non targeted link or something else mixed in.

I am not saying you should put all of your spending through MS, but I wouldn't worry about throwing some in there if everything else is legit.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by 12HRS
Find me a single data point of it not working purely for MS reasons. There is always an issue of using a non targeted link or something else mixed in.

I am not saying you should put all of your spending through MS, but I wouldn't worry about throwing some in there if everything else is legit.
I'm counting on this, though there will be a lot of MS, and only a little legit. I just don't spend enough to hit the business card minimum spends.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by Amex For Children Of Africa
lol you are so wrong
Care to elaborate?
Old Apr 4, 2017, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by mbfanos
Care to elaborate?
I think what they meant was that those T&Cs are on most if not all credit card T&Cs, not just AmEx, and not just the minimum spend offers. No one has ever disputed the T&Cs prohibit such actions. It's always been a question of whether or not it's enforced, and if so, what conditions lead to them enforcing it.

From what I've read, it appears to be primarily restricted to those that signed up through links that they shouldn't have. If there are DPs of people having sign up bonuses clawed back, and they didn't do any crazy MS (no transactions of $5k+ to get the 1.5x bonus), then I'd be very interested in seeing them.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by Mancolt
I think what they meant was that those T&Cs are on most if not all credit card T&Cs, not just AmEx, and not just the minimum spend offers. No one has ever disputed the T&Cs prohibit such actions. It's always been a question of whether or not it's enforced, and if so, what conditions lead to them enforcing it.

From what I've read, it appears to be primarily restricted to those that signed up through links that they shouldn't have. If there are DPs of people having sign up bonuses clawed back, and they didn't do any crazy MS (no transactions of $5k+ to get the 1.5x bonus), then I'd be very interested in seeing them.
I think, like most other things in life, common sense provides a good guideline. For example, if you get a new Platinum Amex that has a 10k spend for bonus, and then you proceed to have your first two transactions each be $5,039.50 at Simon, then you should expect a higher level of scrutiny from Amex if (when?) it comes to their attention.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 12HRS

There are data buried in the long running locked thread, you can go find it yourself.

Particularly interesting is a case originally posted on reddit - the guy got all his previous bonuses on various AMEX in house cards invoked, except one which was the one he did not MS to earn bonus, the rest were all involved some degree of MS.

You certainly can comb thru the thread in AMEX forum to find yourself the data. Nobody needs to prove this to you.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by markr33
I think, like most other things in life, common sense provides a good guideline. For example, if you get a new Platinum Amex that has a 10k spend for bonus, and then you proceed to have your first two transactions each be $5,039.50 at Simon, then you should expect a higher level of scrutiny from Amex if (when?) it comes to their attention.
Guess RAT of AMEX has got its name out enough yet.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
There are data buried in the long running locked thread, you can go find it yourself.

Particularly interesting is a case originally posted on reddit - the guy got all his previous bonuses on various AMEX in house cards invoked, except one which was the one he did not MS to earn bonus, the rest were all involved some degree of MS.

You certainly can comb thru the thread in AMEX forum to find yourself the data. Nobody needs to prove this to you.
And what triggered that?
Old Apr 5, 2017, 6:29 pm

The MB Plat bonus increase last June was a public promo and guess what, my cousin got the bonus clawed back because he MSed 1k out of the 3k (IIRC) requirement. His Plat bonus was not clawed back because it was all organic spend. I reported this on the Amex thread a few months ago.
My point is: be careful even if you used the public link, guys. I would not MS on Amex MR cards for the bonus. Common sense goes a long way in this game.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by mbfanos
The MB Plat bonus increase last June was a public promo and guess what, my cousin got the bonus clawed back because he MSed 1k out of the 3k (IIRC) requirement. His Plat bonus was not clawed back because it was all organic spend. I reported this on the Amex thread a few months ago.
My point is: be careful even if you used the public link, guys. I would not MS on Amex MR cards for the bonus. Common sense goes a long way in this game.

Well then I have MSed way more (and more recently) for sign up bonuses and cross my fingers but I have not been clawed back. So I am not sure what the difference is.

I will take this as the first data point I have seen although based on mine and many other experiences with a grain of salt until it becomes more common.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 10:53 pm

I'm about to do my first MS and am planning on using SM GCs. I see a form is referenced here several times. What is the form? What is on it? Does everyone need to fill it out or is there some spending threshold? Finally, is there anything I need to know about the form like always wring XXX for field YYY?
Old Apr 6, 2017, 1:16 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by omghaxcode
I'm about to do my first MS and am planning on using SM GCs. I see a form is referenced here several times. What is the form? What is on it? Does everyone need to fill it out or is there some spending threshold? Finally, is there anything I need to know about the form like always wring XXX for field YYY?
There is a customer information form if you purchase $3000+ of cards in one day. It's straightforward to fill out.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by omghaxcode
I've never filled it out, but many report writing "budgeting" as the reason for purchasing that many GCs. I think some may have even written MS...I could go either way. If you're ever investigated, having written MS shows you're not trying to hide anything. Budgeting is probably the more "acceptable" answer though.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by Mancolt
I've never filled it out, but many report writing "budgeting" as the reason for purchasing that many GCs. I think some may have even written MS...I could go either way. If you're ever investigated, having written MS shows you're not trying to hide anything. Budgeting is probably the more "acceptable" answer though.
On the prefilled copy that my SM keeps on hand for me, I have Points & Miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.