Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Univision Prepaid Mastercard from Safeway/Vons

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2014, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Alcibiades
These cards no longer earn fuel points.

TIP:Purchases of $500 or more require manager override. You will hold up the line and risk getting shutdown: Hint: $495 + $4.95 fee = $499.95

As of July 16, 2014, cards are not PINable(again) without registration; calling to activate sends to representative. Before Feb 3 2014 and after ~ Mar 17 2014, a PIN could/can be set for one-time use.

The Univision Prepaid Mastercard can only be used for credit card transactions*, not debit. Debit/PIN requires SSN registration for enhanced use. This is a standard restriction for this type of card.
*ask the cashier to enter a partial payment amount if your transaction exceeds your card's stored value, otherwise your card will seem broke/inactive.

Enhanced use reports...
  • Monthly fee at ~30-day anniversary of registration
  • ReloadIt and Moneypak reloading
    • Do not load over 950 in a day, they will suspend your card
    • VR reloading now seems broken
  • Cashover(cashback) available with debit purchase at some registers
  • ACH Pull does not work

The Univision Prepaid Mastercard is product from The Bancorp Bank.

Until 3/24 you could load with VR. Just like with the PIN working, not working, then working again, keep trying with VR and if you succeed, please report here.
Print Wikipost

Univision Prepaid Mastercard from Safeway/Vons

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2014, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by thehawk75

Why wouldn't you use the Univision card as a "normal" $500 card ??
Sorry, I don't keep track of the various bank names on the back of the various prepaid cards, but I mean the prepaid cards that don't have a monthly maintenance fee.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by HikerT
I am saving all my cards just in case I want to register them later for backup use with reloadits. I was able to add a $950 reloadit to the one card I registered, then did a billpay at WM without incident. Nice stub option for ~$2450 billpays. I left 10 cents on the card to see what happens when the fee hits.
Sorry, I have no experience with REloadit, but are you saying that you are able to buy them at Von's using CC?
(Or even anywhere else)
Thanks
Old Jan 16, 2014, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by gaburke
I'm wondering, the two Von's closest to me won't sell any Visa, MC, or AMEX using a credit card. Has it been others' experience that the stores that don't accept CC's for these types of gift cards will in fact accept debit cards?
Since nobody seems to have any experience as to when the fee will kick in with the Univision card, my thought would be to liquidate them by buying "normal" $500 Visa cards by using them as debit cards, with the PIN.
Otherwise, I'll probably just liquidate them via Target AMEX.
Thanks.
Originally Posted by gaburke
Sorry, I don't keep track of the various bank names on the back of the various prepaid cards, but I mean the prepaid cards that don't have a monthly maintenance fee.
Still confused...

What were you going to do with the "normal" $500 Visa cards after you bought them using the Univision card you just bought?
Old Jan 16, 2014, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by thehawk75
Still confused...

What were you going to do with the "normal" $500 Visa cards after you bought them using the Univision card you just bought?
I was concerned about what one of the other users posted concerning being charged a maintenance fee the day after he bought another card.
To avoid this, I could liquidate the Univision card immediately by liquidating it right now. Unfortunately I've already meet my BB reload quota for this month. So two ways I could liquidate it would be to buy cards that don't have any maintenance fee, or use it to load my Target AMEX.

UPDATE: I just called Univision customer service to ask when the monthly fee kicks in. The agent informed me that the day of the month you buy the card (not sure if that's the day the cashier activates the card, or the day the card holder activates the card over the phone. I assume it's the day you buy the card.) is the day of the month that the maintenance fee will be charged. Since I got the card today, the first fee will kick in February 16th, then again every month on the 16th.
If there's no money on the card, they won't charge the fee (her words). If the balance is due on the 16th, but there is no credit on card, then I load it on the 17th, the fee will still be charged. She also mentioned that if the card is empty for 4 months (her example), you won't be charged four months of fees.

Hope that info is useful to others.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 10:33 pm

I can confirm that this card can be loaded with VR and reloadit cards. It also offers online bill pay and cash back at the register.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 11:24 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Gold, the rest come and go
Originally Posted by drdrew450
I can confirm that this card can be loaded with VR and reloadit cards. It also offers online bill pay and cash back at the register.
Terrific. It sounds like you and HikerT are the only two FT'ers to actually register a card; any comment on how easy it is to get on the $5.99 monthly plan vs. the $9.99 monthly plan? That would make a big difference on whether it's worth registering and pushing VR through vs. buying and tossing as others are doing successfully.

Of course grocery stores may still be a more lucrative bonus category so that may well be the best move for those with Safeway access.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 11:39 pm

Looks like the daily load limit is $950 and monthly is $9K. I don't really see any point paying either of the fees. I just plan to let the card die at the end of the month with zero balance and start over with a new card. Already registered 2. Have about 20 more to register and counting, lol. Maybe I could find a way of referring myself to make an extra $15 per card, grin
Old Jan 18, 2014, 11:47 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Gold, the rest come and go
Looks like the daily load limit is $950 and monthly is $9K. I don't really see any point paying either of the fees. I just plan to let the card die at the end of the month with zero balance and start over with a new card. Already registered 2. Have about 20 more to register and counting, lol. Maybe I could find a way of referring myself to make an extra $15 per card, grin
Incredible. Keep us updated.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 11:56 pm

Honestly I expect this to end like most other reloadable cards that are abused. Would be shocked if anyone survived more than a month, if that, hitting it very hard. Save receipts, drain quickly, move on to the next vehicle when shut down.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 7:28 am

Honestly I expect this to end like most other reloadable cards that are abused. Would be shocked if anyone survived more than a month, if that, hitting it very hard. Save receipts, drain quickly, move on to the next vehicle when shut down.
bought one yesterday registered it over the phone, loaded a reloadit, then it would not let me load another, I waited till midnight and loaded 3 VRs, did not push it more than that. Sent a payment to chase for 2500 on my ink card, got an email this morning that it failed. So the daily load limit is higher than 950.

Anyone successful with an online payment? edit: It looks like the max online bill pay is $1000

You can buy reloadit here in FL at grocery stores.

Is it possible to walk into chase and pay off a credit card with a debit card? I have done this with MO but not a debit card.

Last edited by drdrew450; Jan 19, 2014 at 7:52 am
Old Jan 19, 2014, 5:55 pm

bought one yesterday registered it over the phone, loaded a reloadit, then it would not let me load another, I waited till midnight and loaded 3 VRs, did not push it more than that. Sent a payment to chase for 2500 on my ink card, got an email this morning that it failed. So the daily load limit is higher than 950.

Anyone successful with an online payment? edit: It looks like the max online bill pay is $1000

You can buy reloadit here in FL at grocery stores.

Is it possible to walk into chase and pay off a credit card with a debit card? I have done this with MO but not a debit card.
Thanks for the tip on ReloadIt at FL grocery stores, I was in there today picking up my VGC and didn't notice it. I have started using Evolve to pay bills and was waiting for my next Buxx load to pay my mortgage. I went to WD and they didn't bat an eye even though it is marked cash only. I'm going to try the Univision next, register it and see how much I can push through in 29 days.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 12:18 pm

I made a wiki. Please add information as you learn about enhanced use. Is anybody willing to try an ACH-pull by clicking "Pay Bill" from their Chase CC website, or something?
Old Jan 21, 2014, 3:55 pm

"This Bill Payment service is no longer available to schedule your payments online."
Old Jan 21, 2014, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by shel
"This Bill Payment service is no longer available to schedule your payments online."
it says that but I was able to send a payment of 1000 to my ink cc. It has not made it there yet but it should work. You cannot pay over 1000, it will allow you to and then fail later.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 5:18 pm

it says that but I was able to send a payment of 1000 to my ink cc. It has not made it there yet but it should work. You cannot pay over 1000, it will allow you to and then fail later.
How can you make payment? There is no place what-so-ever to even add a payee

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.