Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Univision Prepaid Mastercard from Safeway/Vons

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2014, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Alcibiades
These cards no longer earn fuel points.

TIP:Purchases of $500 or more require manager override. You will hold up the line and risk getting shutdown: Hint: $495 + $4.95 fee = $499.95

As of July 16, 2014, cards are not PINable(again) without registration; calling to activate sends to representative. Before Feb 3 2014 and after ~ Mar 17 2014, a PIN could/can be set for one-time use.

The Univision Prepaid Mastercard can only be used for credit card transactions*, not debit. Debit/PIN requires SSN registration for enhanced use. This is a standard restriction for this type of card.
*ask the cashier to enter a partial payment amount if your transaction exceeds your card's stored value, otherwise your card will seem broke/inactive.

Enhanced use reports...
  • Monthly fee at ~30-day anniversary of registration
  • ReloadIt and Moneypak reloading
    • Do not load over 950 in a day, they will suspend your card
    • VR reloading now seems broken
  • Cashover(cashback) available with debit purchase at some registers
  • ACH Pull does not work

The Univision Prepaid Mastercard is product from The Bancorp Bank.

Until 3/24 you could load with VR. Just like with the PIN working, not working, then working again, keep trying with VR and if you succeed, please report here.
Print Wikipost

Univision Prepaid Mastercard from Safeway/Vons

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2014, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by HikerT
I am registering and loading. I would think it better to have multiple cards registered and split the loads. Let them die when the fee hits. Then start over with new cards (or attempt to re-register dead ones).
Given they have an SSN and real address what are the possibilities of these "dead" cards going to collection for back fees? I've known $9 library books to be sent to collections.

Also, it would suck if you activate a new card and see a truck load of back fees from other cards.

I just can't make it through the spaghetti of the Terms to figure there is any risk of this.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 10:00 pm

I suspect dead cards will just go back to unregistered status. We'll see.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 10:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by jasonvr
For those looking to jump on the PayPower deal that is also running, I've done a little poking around and I for one think I am going to skip it. Found numerous pretty horrible reports of cards being frozen, funds being held, failure to verify identity, etc

http://creditcardforum.com/visa-mast...r-problem.html
http://www.complaintsboard.com/compl...22.html?page=3
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
the dude there loaded $340 in cash
Lol!

Speaking of PayPower... I've decided to jump on this because the $0 fee is back again, and, they actually have packages marked with $0 fee now. I previously mentioned it was all screwed up last time with $5.95 being charged, despite the package saying $3.95, and more so the flyer saying $0.... At any rate, this time around problems all fixed.

No fuel points awarded, but, I've got more than enough from Univision, and, it seems very few takers for them, even when I offered to give them away to friends/colleagues. Thus, I prefer the $0 fee now. I'll buy some Univisions next month to replenish expiring points (assuming it still awards them at that time).

PINning the PayPower card and cashing out is just as easy as Univision. Have not waited more than a few hours to deplete them, so, can't comment on when a maintenance fee would be charged.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 10:31 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by thehawk75
Lol!

Speaking of PayPower... I've decided to jump on this because the $0 fee is back again, and, they actually have packages marked with $0 fee now. I previously mentioned it was all screwed up last time with $5.95 being charged, despite the package saying $3.95, and more so the flyer saying $0.... At any rate, this time around problems all fixed.

No fuel points awarded, but, I've got more than enough from Univision, and, it seems very few takers for them, even when I offered to give them away to friends/colleagues. Thus, I prefer the $0 fee now. I'll buy some Univisions next month to replenish expiring points (assuming it still awards them at that time).

PINning the PayPower card and cashing out is just as easy as Univision. Have not waited more than a few hours to deplete them, so, can't comment on when a maintenance fee would be charged.
Interesting. I saw the $0 fee thing in the ad this week again. Might have to pick up two in order to complete out the BB loads for the month on my wife's card. Free miles is even better than cheap miles (but not better than getting paid for miles...thank you OM)
Old Jan 23, 2014, 11:29 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold 1MM ,Hyatt Explorist,Marriott Platinum,HHonors Diamond
I'am assuming that I'am not allowed to get this card due to previous Netspend shutdown?
Old Jan 23, 2014, 11:32 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by OHijAAzi73
I'am assuming that I'am not allowed to get this card due to previous Netspend shutdown?
If you're just pinning and liquidating, how would they know? Unless you are actually planning on keeping it
Old Jan 24, 2014, 12:20 am

Programs: AA LT Gold 1MM ,Hyatt Explorist,Marriott Platinum,HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by jasonvr
If you're just pinning and liquidating, how would they know? Unless you are actually planning on keeping it
Oh I see...so basically it works like a limited use PP card ....we don't have safeway or vons here ....who else sell this card?
Old Jan 25, 2014, 11:21 am

Programs: MR,UR, UA, BA, AA, Hotels
I guess someone had to test the limits.....

I registered the card. Sent $500 bill pay to CC no problem. Couple of days later I loaded $3k in VR. Got shutdown. Had to send in SSN, DL, Proof of Address and VR receipt.. They acknowledged receipt. Called in 2 days later. Compliance declared the docs invalid with no reason given (they are not, everything was above board and easily verified). Account closed. Nothing they can do, the balance 'goes to the state'.
I spent a long time (politely) arguing with CSR and a supervisor but they are clearly unempowered and I assume they are only used to shutdowns due to drug money (where seizure is legal). This card is targeted at Mexicans, with English-only speaking customers being the minority - the hold times for an English language CSR or supervisor are really long (which I actually find funny and deserved).

Obviously I'm flabbergasted and I'm not giving up on getting my money back. I've filed a query with FDIC and we'll see where that goes. Small claims court is a backup for now.

Lesson - don't register this card for MS. Just activate it an use it as a PP debit, not a reloadable PP debit.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by rdover1
I guess someone had to test the limits.....

I registered the card. Sent $500 bill pay to CC no problem. Couple of days later I loaded $3k in VR. Got shutdown. Had to send in SSN, DL, Proof of Address and VR receipt.. They acknowledged receipt. Called in 2 days later. Compliance declared the docs invalid with no reason given (they are not, everything was above board and easily verified). Account closed. Nothing they can do, the balance 'goes to the state'.
I spent a long time (politely) arguing with CSR and a supervisor but they are clearly unempowered and I assume they are only used to shutdowns due to drug money (where seizure is legal). This card is targeted at Mexicans, with English-only speaking customers being the minority - the hold times for an English language CSR or supervisor are really long (which I actually find funny and deserved).

Obviously I'm flabbergasted and I'm not giving up on getting my money back. I've filed a query with FDIC and we'll see where that goes. Small claims court is a backup for now.

Lesson - don't register this card for MS. Just activate it an use it as a PP debit, not a reloadable PP debit.
I wonder if calling incomm and asking about reversing the VR load would go anywhere? Or maybe incomm can contact univision. This situation seems beyond ridiculous. I have not heard back about my suspension. I called yesterday and they said they received the docs but it take two business days, so ill call back tuesday.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 5:47 pm

Programs: A few
balance "goes to the state"? FDIC ought to be shutting outfits like this down completely
Old Jan 26, 2014, 5:50 am

The company itself can't seize anything, it would have to be initiated by state or federal LE. The only other path to the state is frozen balances are escheated to the state after a certain time...but that is after 1-7 years depending on state.
I would file a CFPB complaint as well (expect a month before your hear anything) and then send a letter to Bancorp referencing the two complaints your have filed. It will take some time but you will get your funds back.
The other option is to use a corporate address (Univision Card Services, P.O. Box 543000, Omaha, NE 68154) and send them a letter referencing your complaint #s. State that your have complied with their document request and that failure to release your funds within x days will result in legal action.

Last edited by AnalystGuy; Jan 26, 2014 at 5:58 am Reason: Added address
Old Jan 26, 2014, 9:16 am
jmw

If the money is really going to the state or the fed LE due to suspected laundry activities, your chances of never seeing the money again are very high even if no criminal charges are filed. The state/feds can still try to keep the money anyway in a civil action where the burden of proof is a lot lower. If the state/feds wanted to because they think the money came from drugs, they can make it too expensive via legal fees for you to ever get it back. At $3k, it's easy to make it too expensive to use a lawyer to get the money seized via civil forfeiture.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 9:27 am

True, but unless the OP has other undisclosed activity that has already made him a target (I'm guessing extremely unlikely) the customer rep was just repeating something they heard. Like when the bank rep said that paying your bill in full is money laundering. In any event, the short time from loading to freezing makes me nearly certain this is an internal issue at Univision with no LE involvement. Seizing cash/items found on someone's person is one thing. Grabbing an account is another.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 9:47 am
jmw

On the other hand, maybe compliance got lazy and really decided to turn this account over to law enforcement. This I could believe. Of course, the OP is now a compliance headache so the account should be closed forever anyway.

In the real world in a poor neighborhood, it doesn't take much for the cops to put you into handcuffs. Plastic bags, a scale, and a few benjamins (or gift cards/VR) are enough to send you to a jail cell. If all you have is a scale and cash, I still think you might end up in jail. Then civil forfeiture to keep the cash so the cops get future funding for the war on drugs.

If you need to transport a scale frequently, I'd use a postal scale.

Scary stuff, eh?
Old Jan 26, 2014, 11:57 am

Bummer,

Thanks for the heads up. Guess I need to liquidate this thing slowly.

I did try and find this in the GC PIN thread but could not find it. Does cash back at a POS look like an ATM pull or just an additional $XX in the total bill?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.