Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Univision Prepaid Mastercard from Safeway/Vons

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2014, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Alcibiades
These cards no longer earn fuel points.

TIP:Purchases of $500 or more require manager override. You will hold up the line and risk getting shutdown: Hint: $495 + $4.95 fee = $499.95

As of July 16, 2014, cards are not PINable(again) without registration; calling to activate sends to representative. Before Feb 3 2014 and after ~ Mar 17 2014, a PIN could/can be set for one-time use.

The Univision Prepaid Mastercard can only be used for credit card transactions*, not debit. Debit/PIN requires SSN registration for enhanced use. This is a standard restriction for this type of card.
*ask the cashier to enter a partial payment amount if your transaction exceeds your card's stored value, otherwise your card will seem broke/inactive.

Enhanced use reports...
  • Monthly fee at ~30-day anniversary of registration
  • ReloadIt and Moneypak reloading
    • Do not load over 950 in a day, they will suspend your card
    • VR reloading now seems broken
  • Cashover(cashback) available with debit purchase at some registers
  • ACH Pull does not work

The Univision Prepaid Mastercard is product from The Bancorp Bank.

Until 3/24 you could load with VR. Just like with the PIN working, not working, then working again, keep trying with VR and if you succeed, please report here.
Print Wikipost

Univision Prepaid Mastercard from Safeway/Vons

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2014, 6:03 pm

Sigh...

Thanks, I know you mean well. The question remains for anybody who understood my actual question. Put another way:
Is there any scenario where a FTer bought the Univision Prepaid Mastercard and DID NOT get 1000 points?
Old Jan 13, 2014, 6:33 pm

The majority of people have reported their fuel points did post. If you don't believe us, why don't you try it your way and report back? You're only risking $4.95

Last edited by us1549; Jan 13, 2014 at 6:34 pm Reason: grammer
Old Jan 13, 2014, 6:51 pm

Will do, if rossrr doesn't answer first. He hadn't heard of just4u but did the deal anyway to save $1.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 7:04 pm

Programs: WN A+, AA, HYATT DIAMOND, SPG
If you get a new Safeway rewards card at the counter and then try to use it, most likely the points will not post. Cards have to be activated before fuel points will post. Atleast that's my experience. When I tried to register my card on line a few hours after getting it at the store, the on-line system wouldn't recognize the card. I'm guessing it will recognize it tomorrow. I DID NOT receive fuel points on that card when I used it right after getting it from the customer service counter.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 7:23 pm

Thanks!

P.S. If you get a new card, you have to buy something (best right then and there) before you can register it online. (One of the cashiers just volunteered to ring up a pack of gum, then cancel the transaction, and that too worked). Edit: And I believe the propagation of the phone number back to their point-of-sale system is slow, so in-store you should swipe the club card the first month instead of typing the phone number.

Last edited by zceuxbhjutf; Jan 13, 2014 at 7:38 pm
Old Jan 13, 2014, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by jasonvr
Another 4 purchased, registered and liquidated to BB within an hour. Fuel points on all of them, granted the points are now on 4 separate club cards....

Can you not get the fuel points on the same card more than once? Just curious on why 4 separate cards.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by fidbrat
Can you not get the fuel points on the same card more than once? Just curious on why 4 separate cards.
One coupon per club card.....
Old Jan 13, 2014, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by zceuxbhjutf
Did you use your Club Card? If so, can you please check your receipt to see if it says anything about 1000 (fuel) points? If the fuel points post without the just4u or after the just4u has been "1-time-only'd", it's still a smokin deal so we all would like to know, thanks!
I earned 1000 points on the transaction! Now to find one with a gas station in Houston... lol
Old Jan 13, 2014, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by zceuxbhjutf
Sigh...

Thanks, I know you mean well. The question remains for anybody who understood my actual question. Put another way:
Is there any scenario where a FTer bought the Univision Prepaid Mastercard and DID NOT get 1000 points?
oh...finally that is what you meant..Phew it was tough understanding you. Yes everyone is indeed getting points when we purchase this card.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 10:11 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by rossrr
I earned 1000 points on the transaction! Now to find one with a gas station in Houston... lol
http://www.houstongasprices.com/Rand...ons/index.aspx
Old Jan 14, 2014, 1:20 am

Thank you, jasonvr, hawk, rossrr, and everybody in this thread. While not truly scalable, there's no telling when the 1K will stop LOL.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 9:21 am

Tried to buy one of these last night at my local Safeway that allows CC purchases for visa/mc. Couldn't find them anywhere on the gift card rack or at customer service (by the green dot cards). Asked the lady at customer service, but she had never heard of them. Any ideas where they might be located?
Old Jan 14, 2014, 9:26 am

If you need a registered, physical club card for this how is it scalable? It seems nice but the legwork associated with getting club cards well in advance and then using them once, tossing is hardly worth the savings.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 9:50 am

Programs: WN A+, AA, HYATT DIAMOND, SPG
Originally Posted by Shane112358
If you need a registered, physical club card for this how is it scalable? It seems nice but the legwork associated with getting club cards well in advance and then using them once, tossing is hardly worth the savings.
I don't think anyone is advocating that. Possibly selling the fuel points or giving them to friends and family? Yes. So getting another or more cards can help with that. Plus it's a dollar cheaper than normal v or mc gcs and of course good for grocery category spend. Pretty easy to use as well.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
jasonvr: Good for you on volunteering to be a guinea pig on this.

The Paypower deal seems a bit more interesting, if all else being equal of course.

I used Paypower once, ages ago before GC's could be PIN'ed (it was a one time use coupon to waive fee). Had no interest in registering, so just activated and used the card at AP, or Serve... kind of forget which. Pretty easy to do as far as I recall.

At any rate, anyone with more recent experience just activating but not registering? PIN available? (without requiring conversation with live agent as in the case of paypal).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.