Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Univision Prepaid Mastercard from Safeway/Vons

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2014, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Alcibiades
These cards no longer earn fuel points.

TIP:Purchases of $500 or more require manager override. You will hold up the line and risk getting shutdown: Hint: $495 + $4.95 fee = $499.95

As of July 16, 2014, cards are not PINable(again) without registration; calling to activate sends to representative. Before Feb 3 2014 and after ~ Mar 17 2014, a PIN could/can be set for one-time use.

The Univision Prepaid Mastercard can only be used for credit card transactions*, not debit. Debit/PIN requires SSN registration for enhanced use. This is a standard restriction for this type of card.
*ask the cashier to enter a partial payment amount if your transaction exceeds your card's stored value, otherwise your card will seem broke/inactive.

Enhanced use reports...
  • Monthly fee at ~30-day anniversary of registration
  • ReloadIt and Moneypak reloading
    • Do not load over 950 in a day, they will suspend your card
    • VR reloading now seems broken
  • Cashover(cashback) available with debit purchase at some registers
  • ACH Pull does not work

The Univision Prepaid Mastercard is product from The Bancorp Bank.

Until 3/24 you could load with VR. Just like with the PIN working, not working, then working again, keep trying with VR and if you succeed, please report here.
Print Wikipost

Univision Prepaid Mastercard from Safeway/Vons

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2014, 12:45 pm

I would liquidate in 1 shot. Go to walmart and pay your CC bill with checkfreepay for $1.88. I have swiped $1450 in one shot just fine. All my univision cards are drained and won't be bothering to register or load any more. Doesn't seem worth the risk.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 1:04 pm

Programs: MR,UR, UA, BA, AA, Hotels
That's helpful. Thank you.

Originally Posted by AnalystGuy
The company itself can't seize anything, it would have to be initiated by state or federal LE. The only other path to the state is frozen balances are escheated to the state after a certain time...but that is after 1-7 years depending on state.
I would file a CFPB complaint as well (expect a month before your hear anything) and then send a letter to Bancorp referencing the two complaints your have filed. It will take some time but you will get your funds back.
The other option is to use a corporate address (Univision Card Services, P.O. Box 543000, Omaha, NE 68154) and send them a letter referencing your complaint #s. State that your have complied with their document request and that failure to release your funds within x days will result in legal action.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
I don't know why so many wanted to rush and register when they could be liquidated so easily without doing so (HikerT excluded since he's used to playing this game). I'm very aprehensive in dealing with these companies -- I've done the dance with GreenDot an Incomm (MVD/Mio) in the past and at best it's 'very aggravating'. Thus my original thoughts of just using this as a 'one and done' (or as in my case for the past couple weeks: 50ish X 'one and done')

Besides... would you seriously want to give all your personal information, and leave vast sums of money with this guy who was mentioned earlier in the thread?

You can almost hear the guy saying 'I've got your money, and just what do you think you are you going to do about it?' as he waives that finger in your direction.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 2:37 pm

Thanks HikerT for the advice.

Hawk75, we all have to find our comfort zone right? Been at it awhile and wanted to swim past the ropes just a bit. Being able to load $950 Reloadits was my main driver to try it out. In the end I would have had to chalk it up to an "Educational Tax". They are still one of my favs for one and done for grocery spend.

Good point about the pic...no matter where I move in the room his eyes always seem to follow the pants pocket with my wallet in it.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 10:37 pm

Has anyone had any luck asking SW to extend the expiration for gas points?
Old Jan 26, 2014, 11:24 pm

No, and I wouldn't sweat expiration for $5 a pop to replentish.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 1:32 pm

This is a great thread. Better way to load BB than using GC or even beans. Fees are $1 less than GC, may be $1 more than VR, but with the $1 off per gallon of gas,(which saves me around $20 when I fill up 20 gallons), this is a great MM + 2% CB CC.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 6:46 pm
jk2

Am I getting this right, that both this card (Univision) and PayPower can be activated some how by phone and 1) you can setup a PIN and 2) you don't need to provide your personal information. In other words, these cards may works as plain Visa GCs?
Old Jan 27, 2014, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by jk2
Am I getting this right, that both this card (Univision) and PayPower can be activated some how by phone and 1) you can setup a PIN and 2) you don't need to provide your personal information. In other words, these cards may works as plain Visa GCs?
Yes for the Univision card, I think it's the same for Paypower, but I haven't used it.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by msnut1
This is a great thread. Better way to load BB than using GC or even beans. Fees are $1 less than GC, may be $1 more than VR, but with the $1 off per gallon of gas,(which saves me around $20 when I fill up 20 gallons), this is a great MM + 2% CB CC.
Ditto. Major kudos to those who contributed to the knowledge in this thread. ^^^
Old Jan 27, 2014, 10:07 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by jk2
Yes for both. Univision card is 4.95 activation fee making it cheaper than standard VGCs. Paypower was free last week (i.e. 0 activation fee) and normally only has a 3.95 fee!

Univision is confirmed to wait until 30 days after activation for first monthly fee. No hard evidence on when the Paypower monthly fee kicks in though. I liquidated mine (2x) within an hour of purchase.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
FYI, emailed Paypower last night to inquire about the monthly fee and already got a response back:

Thank you for your recent inquiry regarding monthly maintenance fees.

If your activate your card on the 28th of the month then your maintenance fees will come due every month on the 28th starting one month after activation.

If there is any other way we can assist you please call or email at the contact information provided below.
So, no immediate fee like like Paypal does. Sounds like this is the new winner! 3.95 activation fee for a $500 load. Same fee as VR, but can earn 2x miles at grocery stores!
Old Jan 28, 2014, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by jasonvr
Paypower was free last week (i.e. 0 activation fee) and normally only has a 3.95 fee!
It is still free this week... at least that's what their weekly ad in my area shows.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:36 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
Paypower is free, but Safeway in my current area (Phoenix) isn't allowing credit card purchases at all. The guy actually insisted on cash today, not even offering the option of debit!
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by PdxDfwFlyer
It is still free this week... at least that's what their weekly ad in my area shows.
Just picked one up at Safeway. The package has "$0 purchase fee" printed on it, so unless these are promotional packages that are going to be taken off the racks at some specified date, it may be around for awhile.

Didn't earn any gas points though. I have had issues with earning points for GCs once or twice at this store though so I'll be interested to hear if anyone else reports differently.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.