Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Univision Prepaid Mastercard from Safeway/Vons

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2014, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Alcibiades
These cards no longer earn fuel points.

TIP:Purchases of $500 or more require manager override. You will hold up the line and risk getting shutdown: Hint: $495 + $4.95 fee = $499.95

As of July 16, 2014, cards are not PINable(again) without registration; calling to activate sends to representative. Before Feb 3 2014 and after ~ Mar 17 2014, a PIN could/can be set for one-time use.

The Univision Prepaid Mastercard can only be used for credit card transactions*, not debit. Debit/PIN requires SSN registration for enhanced use. This is a standard restriction for this type of card.
*ask the cashier to enter a partial payment amount if your transaction exceeds your card's stored value, otherwise your card will seem broke/inactive.

Enhanced use reports...
  • Monthly fee at ~30-day anniversary of registration
  • ReloadIt and Moneypak reloading
    • Do not load over 950 in a day, they will suspend your card
    • VR reloading now seems broken
  • Cashover(cashback) available with debit purchase at some registers
  • ACH Pull does not work

The Univision Prepaid Mastercard is product from The Bancorp Bank.

Until 3/24 you could load with VR. Just like with the PIN working, not working, then working again, keep trying with VR and if you succeed, please report here.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2014, 2:01 pm

Thanks for the update
Old Feb 6, 2014, 4:08 pm

Programs: ALL :)
Immediate Use as Credit Card?

So to verify the Univision cards work immediately without having to call or do any of that as credit, is that what I am understanding? They packaging says you must call to activate.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Delta Silver, Best Western Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum
You have to call, but you can hang up once it tells you to enter your date of birth.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 4:40 pm

Programs: All of them!
Originally Posted by livestrongforever
I really wish I saw the new development on this univision card before I bought it today. Sigh.

Is there a website where I can register the univision? I rather not call them since its more convenient for me to do it online at my own time. Or we can just amazon payment the full $500 and not register right?
AP should work. I did the same thing as you yesterday and ended up liquidating towards that day's 5k CVS purchase. Unlike Amex GC or rebate cards, the register won't know the remaining balance, but it worked fine after I had the cashier enter a partial payment for $500 into the computer, then swipe the card.

Even if you don't want to register the card, this is still worth buying and liquidating as credit if you need the fuel points. I figure that is the only option now, at least long run, because I doubt they will let you register as many cards as you want to the same SSN. If you don't need the fuel points, it's a terrible deal.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 5:09 pm

Can anybody shed some light on evolve? I had never heard of it until reading in this thread?
Old Feb 6, 2014, 6:37 pm

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...lve-money.html
Old Feb 7, 2014, 12:35 pm
jk2

Originally Posted by zceuxbhjutf
I just tested one of my drained cards.

https://www.paypower.com/Activate
...behaved exactly like it did before, so I would proceed if I were you.
so, only univision is affected, for paypower temp card you can get a pin?
Old Feb 7, 2014, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by jk2
so, only univision is affected, for paypower temp card you can get a pin?
Confirmed Univision is a pain, seems PayPower works fine.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 5:03 pm

Vons is advertising 4X for Valentines so FWIW the 500 Univision might yield 2000 fuel points [edit]...NO, 1000 SAME AS BEFORE. PayPowers are still fee free and PIN-happy (in other news).

Last edited by zceuxbhjutf; Feb 9, 2014 at 7:55 pm
Old Feb 9, 2014, 6:33 pm

Vons is advertising 4X for Valentines so FWIW the 500 Univision might yield 2000 fuel points. PayPowers are still fee free and PIN-happy (in other news).
Still 1000 points today. 4X is advertised for certain GC.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
PayPowers are still fee free and PIN-happy (in other news).
Yep, still working great. It's like the good old days of the Chase VGCs except in a bonus category!
Old Feb 9, 2014, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by jasonvr
Yep, still working great. It's like the good old days of the Chase VGCs except in a bonus category!
And no monthly limits...
Old Feb 9, 2014, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by jasonvr
Si! Found a helpful manager today that let me get 4 with no questions asked! I waited til I was in Houston to top off my birds.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 10:36 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by nayrb3
And no monthly limits...
Bingo! I had forgotten about the 2.6k monthly limit per card!
Old Feb 10, 2014, 5:14 pm

At Randells in NW Austin (off 183) today someone (manager?) was going from cashier to cashier and telling them Cash Only for the no fee cards. I had just paid for my order when she walked up. I hope I didn't get the girl that rang me up in trouble.

I have been home sick for awhile, so this was only my second time buying the no fee cards. Bummer. But at least the way she worded it made it seem like the cards with fees are ok for non cash purchases.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.