Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Univision Prepaid Mastercard from Safeway/Vons

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2014, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Alcibiades
These cards no longer earn fuel points.

TIP:Purchases of $500 or more require manager override. You will hold up the line and risk getting shutdown: Hint: $495 + $4.95 fee = $499.95

As of July 16, 2014, cards are not PINable(again) without registration; calling to activate sends to representative. Before Feb 3 2014 and after ~ Mar 17 2014, a PIN could/can be set for one-time use.

The Univision Prepaid Mastercard can only be used for credit card transactions*, not debit. Debit/PIN requires SSN registration for enhanced use. This is a standard restriction for this type of card.
*ask the cashier to enter a partial payment amount if your transaction exceeds your card's stored value, otherwise your card will seem broke/inactive.

Enhanced use reports...
  • Monthly fee at ~30-day anniversary of registration
  • ReloadIt and Moneypak reloading
    • Do not load over 950 in a day, they will suspend your card
    • VR reloading now seems broken
  • Cashover(cashback) available with debit purchase at some registers
  • ACH Pull does not work

The Univision Prepaid Mastercard is product from The Bancorp Bank.

Until 3/24 you could load with VR. Just like with the PIN working, not working, then working again, keep trying with VR and if you succeed, please report here.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2014, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by haloseven
I figure the univisions are good for 2 per month. That's 4 tanks of gas right? Liquidate thru ap and be done. No cards really give a multiplier bonus besides amazon chase and rotating category cards.
Really, no bonus..... Funny, I've got two in my wallet. And I'm not even sure if you're talking about gas or groceries, but my statement stands for both (and actually I just realized it is actually 3 different cards for gas).
Old Feb 26, 2014, 9:20 pm

I'm talking about the opportunity cost to liquidate the Univision via ap. when you buy the Univision you get your grocery category. You lose your ms on the amazon category which doesn't have a bonus typically. Either way, for me, the gas rewards far outweigh the ms I could have made on ap.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 9:26 pm

I think he meant AP.

The Big Picture is, merchants like Target, AP, etc aren't in any of our 5% categories maybe. If we have infinite CL, let's get GCs at 5% then use them at these merchants, always.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 5:45 am

Met my favorite cashier agian last night. He let me experiment. Bought a uni for $500. Got the 2k gas rewards, called and activated it, then used it on a pay power for. $500. He was amazed at the points. Told him a bit about the game and he was excited. Younger guy who likes working the system. Corp memo or not, I think I have my in. He's got an override so last night I got a uni, 2 paypowers and a reloadit to finish out my cl. Now to liquidate and pay the bills and do it all over again in 3 days. Jackpot.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA MM, Alaska Airlines MVP
3/1/14 Univision didn't work for gas rewards
Old Mar 1, 2014, 5:37 pm

Fuel rewards paid out today (3/1/14) for me in OR. Still 4x in fact.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 8:53 pm

It still works for me at Tom Thumb in TX and this time I got 4x whereas before it has always been 2x.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 8:58 am

Giant advertises 4x gas reward points on gift cards. Wondering if that includes $500 Visa variables.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 6:58 pm

I received 4x fuel points on 2x$500, 40 fuel points ($1/gal x 4)
Old Mar 2, 2014, 8:04 pm

I got 4x fuel points at Safeway today.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by Wonko
I got 4x fuel points at Safeway today.
is safeway running a 4x promotion for gift cards in your area now, or is this an anomaly?

i ask because usually everything is the same nationwide, and the 4x promotion here was a week ago. no gc's have been 4x here this week in my area.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 1:54 am

Originally Posted by uncommonsensical
is safeway running a 4x promotion for gift cards in your area now, or is this an anomaly?

i ask because usually everything is the same nationwide, and the 4x promotion here was a week ago. no gc's have been 4x here this week in my area.
i tested it myself, as we're back to 4x gift cards here this week. yep, 4x gas points today. hope the above trick to set the pin still works...
Old Mar 8, 2014, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by uncommonsensical

The 4X promo was in my local weekly ad last week and is again this week. I don't know if it's nationwide or not.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 12:33 pm

All signage in Texas says valid thru 3/16 for 4x promo.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 5:47 pm

Programs: MR,UR, UA, BA, AA, Hotels
You can also do this by phone. Call to activate and hang up when you get to the birthday bit. Call again and repeat and you will get the prompt if you want single use or fully register. Pick not reloadable. Done.

Originally Posted by AnInfrequentFlyer
I posted this earlier in the paying Citi with a debit card thread, but I'll post it here too:

Univision works for paying Citi cards without registering a SSN first.

The trick is to "activate" is online first. When you hit Submit after entering your PIN it will look like nothing happens. Then when you call in it will ask for your Birthdate to register the card, but it will reject your birthdate and have you talk to a rep.

Hang up before you talk to the rep and your card should be ready to go for Citi payments. Its worked for me 100% of the time. Just calling or just doing it online doesn't seem to work - you have to do both.

Oddly enough you never enter your address or zip code. You do add a PIN online but it doesn't seem to work for PIN transactions anywhere I've tried it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.