Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Univision Prepaid Mastercard from Safeway/Vons

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2014, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Alcibiades
These cards no longer earn fuel points.

TIP:Purchases of $500 or more require manager override. You will hold up the line and risk getting shutdown: Hint: $495 + $4.95 fee = $499.95

As of July 16, 2014, cards are not PINable(again) without registration; calling to activate sends to representative. Before Feb 3 2014 and after ~ Mar 17 2014, a PIN could/can be set for one-time use.

The Univision Prepaid Mastercard can only be used for credit card transactions*, not debit. Debit/PIN requires SSN registration for enhanced use. This is a standard restriction for this type of card.
*ask the cashier to enter a partial payment amount if your transaction exceeds your card's stored value, otherwise your card will seem broke/inactive.

Enhanced use reports...
  • Monthly fee at ~30-day anniversary of registration
  • ReloadIt and Moneypak reloading
    • Do not load over 950 in a day, they will suspend your card
    • VR reloading now seems broken
  • Cashover(cashback) available with debit purchase at some registers
  • ACH Pull does not work

The Univision Prepaid Mastercard is product from The Bancorp Bank.

Until 3/24 you could load with VR. Just like with the PIN working, not working, then working again, keep trying with VR and if you succeed, please report here.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2014, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by Wonko
Phone menu changed, now has an option up front to use the card without registering. When I followed through to the reset PIN option it asked for my birthdate & rejected it. Got through to a CSR and he said I have to register it to set a PIN. Anyone else run into this?
Which card? Univision or PayPower?
Also, does anyone know at what amount does Safeway NOT require a manager override? 200, 300, 400?
Old Feb 3, 2014, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by vinhboy
Also, does anyone know at what amount does Safeway NOT require a manager override? 200, 300, 400?
Anything less than $500 total, I usually put around $490 (+activation fees) on the card, unless a manager is ringing me up (in which case I load $500).
Old Feb 3, 2014, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by vinhboy
Sorry - Univision.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA-Gold, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold
Originally Posted by Wonko
Sorry - Univision.
Yep, I'm experiencing the same thing. I tried the website and it also asks for the birth date that you used when you registered the card.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 2:58 pm

Yeah I just got ....ed on this card too. They want all my Info, a bill and copy of dl. To register or to set pin. Guess I'm out $5 on recycling it I to a vgc
Old Feb 3, 2014, 3:40 pm

Good info, Wonko and GBS. For those following along at home, Feb 1 became a day of renewed interest in Univision due to the 1000 fuel points and the extra month before their expiration.

One of you needs to try "any 4" as the PIN. Another needs to try "last 4". Please report back, thanks!
Old Feb 3, 2014, 4:35 pm

Programs: BA, AA, United
I have the same problem. I set pin on 3 cards yesterday, so it looks like they changed their system today.

Originally Posted by zceuxbhjutf
Good info, Wonko and GBS. For those following along at home, Feb 1 became a day of renewed interest in Univision due to the 1000 fuel points and the extra month before their expiration.

One of you needs to try "any 4" as the PIN. Another needs to try "last 4". Please report back, thanks!
Old Feb 3, 2014, 7:49 pm

Tried using one of my old Univision cards and was unable to reset the pin, it asked for DOB, did not let me proceed (stating that my DOB did not match their records). If I had a working WM Kiosk, would have tried to see if default pin works (last 4 of card #, any 4 random numbers).

Good thing I had already unloaded all the money off my Univision cards after setting a pin last week.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 7:52 pm

Programs: CO (RIP), US (RIP), Amtrak. Lots of CC programs.
Originally Posted by msnut1
If I had a working WM Kiosk, would have tried to see if default pin works (last 4 of card #, any 4 random numbers).
You could try it at a self-checkout for a $1 purchase (and $100 cash back) or in place of the debit card you'd use if the PIN didn't work.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by cuebert
You could try it at a self-checkout for a $1 purchase (and $100 cash back) or in place of the debit card you'd use if the PIN didn't work.
Yeah, I thought about doing that as well, testing on a small debit purchase. I might pick up another card at Safeway. I might be able to cash out on AP.

I've tried Univision card load to Buxx (NW and USB), but that does not work.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 8:36 pm

I bought 2x Univision cards on 2/1 and did not activate them at all. Called in to try to set pin, but it kept giving me errors on my birthday so I had to be transferred to rep who told me card would be definitely be pin enabled and there should be no issue with it.

So tomorrow morning I'm going to try loading my BB with any 4 and will report back. Hoping for good news!
Old Feb 4, 2014, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
When I bought the PayPower, I saw two types: English-language and Spanish. The English ones said cash only and the Spanish ones had some words in the same place LOL, so I grabbed a Spanish one and chose a blonde cashier.
Having been rejected yet again yesterday at what was once one of my favorite stores due to the 'cash only' wording on the package... and I mean literally... the cashier said 'I can't take credit card for this because, look, the package says cash only', I decided that trying to buy the cards in the Spanish packaging might actually be a good idea. Well, turns out these bar codes weren't even in the store's system and couldn't be scanned. How'd you get it to work (blonde cashier or not)?
Old Feb 4, 2014, 12:56 pm

Last 4 didn't work for the Univision - that would cover the "any 4" too.

No biggie for me as I can only use so many gas rewards & I can easily liquidate that much as CC... in the meantime PayPower is still free as long I choose my cashiers carefully and it still allowed me to set the PIN a minutes ago.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 1:15 pm

Programs: BA, AA, United
Last 4 digits doesn't work as the PIN.

So, I think there are no options here, just register and get pin or unload as Credit. I am going to load to TAMEX.

Originally Posted by hitman1420
I bought 2x Univision cards on 2/1 and did not activate them at all. Called in to try to set pin, but it kept giving me errors on my birthday so I had to be transferred to rep who told me card would be definitely be pin enabled and there should be no issue with it.

So tomorrow morning I'm going to try loading my BB with any 4 and will report back. Hoping for good news!
Old Feb 4, 2014, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by rambo
Last 4 digits doesn't work as the PIN.

So, I think there are no options here, just register and get pin or unload as Credit. I am going to load to TAMEX.
Confirmed. Tried to load to BB via WM. Last 4 or any random 4 did not work. Gonna have to register

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.