Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Univision Prepaid Mastercard from Safeway/Vons

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2014, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Alcibiades
These cards no longer earn fuel points.

TIP:Purchases of $500 or more require manager override. You will hold up the line and risk getting shutdown: Hint: $495 + $4.95 fee = $499.95

As of July 16, 2014, cards are not PINable(again) without registration; calling to activate sends to representative. Before Feb 3 2014 and after ~ Mar 17 2014, a PIN could/can be set for one-time use.

The Univision Prepaid Mastercard can only be used for credit card transactions*, not debit. Debit/PIN requires SSN registration for enhanced use. This is a standard restriction for this type of card.
*ask the cashier to enter a partial payment amount if your transaction exceeds your card's stored value, otherwise your card will seem broke/inactive.

Enhanced use reports...
  • Monthly fee at ~30-day anniversary of registration
  • ReloadIt and Moneypak reloading
    • Do not load over 950 in a day, they will suspend your card
    • VR reloading now seems broken
  • Cashover(cashback) available with debit purchase at some registers
  • ACH Pull does not work

The Univision Prepaid Mastercard is product from The Bancorp Bank.

Until 3/24 you could load with VR. Just like with the PIN working, not working, then working again, keep trying with VR and if you succeed, please report here.
Print Wikipost

Univision Prepaid Mastercard from Safeway/Vons

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2014, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by Shane112358
If you need a registered, physical club card for this how is it scalable? It seems nice but the legwork associated with getting club cards well in advance and then using them once, tossing is hardly worth the savings.
The scalability is more limited by how much gas we use. The $2.48 just4u savings is certainly nice, but not very significant compared to the value of the 1K points, okay?

Say you're driving by the Vons gas station five months from now and you need a fill up. You wouldn't first run inside and grab one of these, because you need the $2.48 off to make it worth your while???
Old Jan 14, 2014, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by thehawk75
jasonvr: Good for you on volunteering to be a guinea pig on this.

The Paypower deal seems a bit more interesting, if all else being equal of course.

I used Paypower once, ages ago before GC's could be PIN'ed (it was a one time use coupon to waive fee). Had no interest in registering, so just activated and used the card at AP, or Serve... kind of forget which. Pretty easy to do as far as I recall.

At any rate, anyone with more recent experience just activating but not registering? PIN available? (without requiring conversation with live agent as in the case of paypal).
Well, this actually looks fairly promising:
https://www.paypower.com/SetupPin

All it's asking for is card number and expiration, and the wording seems to imply you can set up PIN on unregistered card:

Originally Posted by paypower
Setup PIN:

We need to collect a few pieces of information from you in order to create a PIN. Please note that you cannot use your PIN to request cash back until you have completed registration.
Guess I'll have to try this out this evening if no one reports before then.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 6:20 pm

Programs: WN CP, WN A-List Preferred, AS MVPG 75k, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
I'd probably attempt this if it weren't for the fact that out of twenty Vons stores in my city only one has a gas station. And it's thirty miles away from my house.

No wonder I rarely shop at Vons, besides for their sky high prices.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by jasonvr
Another 4 purchased, registered and liquidated to BB within an hour. Fuel points on all of them, granted the points are now on 4 separate club cards....
Can you explain how you liquidated them to BB? Online it says that I can only add $100/day from a debit card..
Old Jan 14, 2014, 8:29 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Shane112358
If you need a registered, physical club card for this how is it scalable? It seems nice but the legwork associated with getting club cards well in advance and then using them once, tossing is hardly worth the savings.
Why toss the club card afterwards? I acquired some extra club cards last year when I realized there were deals that were limited to one per card. Since then, I've kept them around and as deals come up, I add them to each card and use the cards again. I might actually go get some more cards at this point.

Originally Posted by donutman27
Can you explain how you liquidated them to BB? Online it says that I can only add $100/day from a debit card..
[inappropriate comment removed by moderator]

Last edited by cbn42; Jan 14, 2014 at 9:04 pm Reason: snark
Old Jan 15, 2014, 12:39 am
Original Poster

Paypower followup

Originally Posted by thehawk75
Well, this actually looks fairly promising:
https://www.paypower.com/SetupPin

All it's asking for is card number and expiration, and the wording seems to imply you can set up PIN on unregistered card:

Guess I'll have to try this out this evening if no one reports before then.
Bought the paypower card tonight.

First, the fee didn't get waived at the register. Had to get refunded the fee afterwords by the manager (in cash which was nice, but after 5 minutes which was not so nice).

Second, the fee comes up at $5.95 even though the package says $3.95. So, register is definitely screwed up on this one.

Third, I didn't score any fuel points for it. Seems Univision is the only Visa/MC that I know of with this 'bug', for now.

As far as setting PIN and cashing out. I set the PIN on the phone during the drive to WM -- simple process. No need to register, just activate card and set PIN. Cashed out by typical means at the WM. Probably cashed it out within 15 minutes of buying it.

I have not held either of these cards over night. Got burned on the paypal charging the monthly fee the the day after purchase thing, and, I don't want to have to go through the same type of conversation in getting that refunded.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 4:13 pm

bill pay channel

Looks like it is also a bill pay channel--anyone has experience? (I really need to diversify from Walmart).

http://www.univisiontarjeta.com/en/p...cards-faqs/#81

What if my biller doesn't accept Cards as payment?

Occasionally, billers don't accept Cards as a form of payment. In this case, you can login to your online account and schedule a check payment. We recommend you schedule your payments at least five (5) days before your payment is due. Payments are processed immediately and cannot be cancelled once submitted.

NOTE: This is not a "personal check" so if your biller requires a personal check or a money order, do NOT use this service.

There are a few payees that are discouraged, but you may schedule payments at your own risk:
- Internal Revenue Service (IRS) or any state/government agency
- Court ordered i.e., alimony or child support
- Insurance companies
- See more at: http://www.univisiontarjeta.com/en/p...cards-faqs/#81
Old Jan 15, 2014, 4:23 pm

Programs: *$ Gold :)
Originally Posted by shel
Looks like it is also a bill pay channel...
Is it just a normal online bill pay from a prepaid account?

And probably full activation is required to start using this feature...
Old Jan 15, 2014, 4:41 pm

Folks, you don't wanna use bill pay or any of the permanent card features cuz the monthly fee is prohibitive/uncompetitive. jasonvr did excellent work discovering how best to use the card (once).
Old Jan 15, 2014, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by zceuxbhjutf
Folks, you don't wanna use bill pay or any of the permanent card features cuz the monthly fee is prohibitive/uncompetitive. jasonvr did excellent work discovering how best to use the card (once).
Not so fast. I'm willing to pay the $5.95/month IF they tolerate large amount of payments--GreenDot/GoBank/AccountNow/NetSpend/Paypal can be free but they shut you down quickly and ban you for life.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 5:24 pm

I think it's a Bancorp card FWIW (same as Paypal prepaid). Whatever the Mexican version of flyertalk is, maybe check there for shutdown reports LOL.

OTOH you make a good point, plus we need more folks out in the field researching CC acceptance for moneypaks and reloadits.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 7:43 am

Programs: United Silver, PC Plat/Amb, HH Dmnd
Just a data point. This card is available at other stores as well. At Winn-Dixie down south, it earns "Fuelperks" but is cash (or debit) only.

Andyandy
Old Jan 16, 2014, 4:07 pm

I am saving all my cards just in case I want to register them later for backup use with reloadits. I was able to add a $950 reloadit to the one card I registered, then did a billpay at WM without incident. Nice stub option for ~$2450 billpays. I left 10 cents on the card to see what happens when the fee hits.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 5:47 pm

I'm wondering, the two Von's closest to me won't sell any Visa, MC, or AMEX using a credit card. Has it been others' experience that the stores that don't accept CC's for these types of gift cards will in fact accept debit cards?
Since nobody seems to have any experience as to when the fee will kick in with the Univision card, my thought would be to liquidate them by buying "normal" $500 Visa cards by using them as debit cards, with the PIN.
Otherwise, I'll probably just liquidate them via Target AMEX.
Thanks.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gaburke
Since nobody seems to have any experience as to when the fee will kick in with the Univision card, my thought would be to liquidate them by buying "normal" $500 Visa cards by using them as debit cards, with the PIN...

Why wouldn't you use the Univision card as a "normal" $500 card ??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.