Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Univision Prepaid Mastercard from Safeway/Vons

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2014, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Alcibiades
These cards no longer earn fuel points.

TIP:Purchases of $500 or more require manager override. You will hold up the line and risk getting shutdown: Hint: $495 + $4.95 fee = $499.95

As of July 16, 2014, cards are not PINable(again) without registration; calling to activate sends to representative. Before Feb 3 2014 and after ~ Mar 17 2014, a PIN could/can be set for one-time use.

The Univision Prepaid Mastercard can only be used for credit card transactions*, not debit. Debit/PIN requires SSN registration for enhanced use. This is a standard restriction for this type of card.
*ask the cashier to enter a partial payment amount if your transaction exceeds your card's stored value, otherwise your card will seem broke/inactive.

Enhanced use reports...
  • Monthly fee at ~30-day anniversary of registration
  • ReloadIt and Moneypak reloading
    • Do not load over 950 in a day, they will suspend your card
    • VR reloading now seems broken
  • Cashover(cashback) available with debit purchase at some registers
  • ACH Pull does not work

The Univision Prepaid Mastercard is product from The Bancorp Bank.

Until 3/24 you could load with VR. Just like with the PIN working, not working, then working again, keep trying with VR and if you succeed, please report here.
Print Wikipost

Univision Prepaid Mastercard from Safeway/Vons

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2014, 2:38 am

There are at least 3 different versions of the PayPower cards, each stamped with a different fee. One version is stamped with a $3.95 fee. It currently rings up without fee at Safeway (as advertised in the Safeway circular). There is another version stamped with $0 fee. This also rings up without fee, but probably smarter to clear out the $3.95 cards while the fee is being waived to preserve inventory of the $0 fee cards. There is another version stamped with a $3 fee. It currently rings up with a $3 fee (NOT waived) at Safeway. Avoid these.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 3:31 am

Just read through the thread.

- So Paypower does not give fuel points.
- Univision does give fuel points, but needs club card.

Someone said they registered their club card in store and immediately got the Univision card, but did not get fuel points. Is that the norm?
Should I get the club card, buy a pack of gum, activate online, then wait a day? These fuel points would be very handy for me!

Thanks for all those who contributed to the thread!
Old Jan 29, 2014, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by hitman1420
Just read through the thread.

- So Paypower does not give fuel points.
- Univision does give fuel points, but needs club card.

Someone said they registered their club card in store and immediately got the Univision card, but did not get fuel points. Is that the norm?
Should I get the club card, buy a pack of gum, activate online, then wait a day? These fuel points would be very handy for me!

Thanks for all those who contributed to the thread!
I would wait a day to be safe...Univision is still giving fuel points as of last night. In fact the last two times I've bought the points were doubled due to a 2x gift card promotion. It looks like they may have miscoded the cards because the variable cards are not usually eligible.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by HikerT
There are at least 3 different versions of the PayPower cards, each stamped with a different fee. One version is stamped with a $3.95 fee. It currently rings up without fee at Safeway (as advertised in the Safeway circular). There is another version stamped with $0 fee. This also rings up without fee, but probably smarter to clear out the $3.95 cards while the fee is being waived to preserve inventory of the $0 fee cards. There is another version stamped with a $3 fee. It currently rings up with a $3 fee (NOT waived) at Safeway. Avoid these.
Ah - this was the only one that this Safeway had - PayPower Travel-something-or-other. Hope I didn't make a noob mistake. I was able to set a PIN without registering it but haven't tried to drain it yet. Worse comes to worst, I'll just have to register it I suppose.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 11:20 am

Yes, wait at least a day. I would suggest signing up for a Safeway card today if you don't have one, then wait at least until Feb 1 to buy Univision so you get March 31 expiry on the fuel points. Most of us are already flush on fuel points so the paypower cards are the ticket, but harder to buy due to the "cash only" wording on the card. Even some of the CC friendly cashiers here will balk on the paypower.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 11:49 am

I would suggest signing up for a Safeway card today if you don't have one, then wait at least until Feb 1 to buy Univision so you get March 31 expiry on the fuel points. .
I like that plan,

I wasn't able to see if there were limits on buying the UGCs. I'm ok with manager approval after $500, but will they let me buy $1000 at a time?

Also, I see T&C state max saving is 20 cents a gallon for Chevron and Texaco, but $1.00 at safeway gas station.

I could have sworn I've read reports of people doing $2.40 off per gallon.

Any consensus for max fuel savings/gallon for California Chevrons gas stations?
Old Jan 29, 2014, 11:49 am

Programs: *$ Gold :)
Yes, wait at least a day. I would suggest signing up for a Safeway card today if you don't have one, then wait at least until Feb 1 to buy Univision so you get March 31 expiry on the fuel points. Most of us are already flush on fuel points so the paypower cards are the ticket, but harder to buy due to the "cash only" wording on the card. Even some of the CC friendly cashiers here will balk on the paypower.
With such annotated cards I hand them to cashier back side with barcode up. Half cashiers don't even bother themselves to look at front side. As what cashier is programmed to is search barcode and scan it ) The register then further guides them on amount etc.
So this way is 50% more success chances.
Even if turned front side, it's for way shorter time.
Otherwise they have tendency to stare at card, read what's on it, and make ridiculous conclusions.

Also I announce that I'm buying gift cards. Anyway it's how they appear on receipt.
As policies are rather defined for general gc and often allow CC usage.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 12:41 pm

I like that plan,

I wasn't able to see if there were limits on buying the UGCs. I'm ok with manager approval after $500, but will they let me buy $1000 at a time?

Also, I see T&C state max saving is 20 cents a gallon for Chevron and Texaco, but $1.00 at safeway gas station.

I could have sworn I've read reports of people doing $2.40 off per gallon.

Any consensus for max fuel savings/gallon for California Chevrons gas stations?
The stated 20 cents/gallon at Chevron & $1.00/gallon at Safeway are correct IME.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 1:09 pm

You get the $1 off at participating Chevrons and Texacos in WA.

I think the .20 off limit is a regional thing.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 5:10 pm

so my account was unsuspended after I sent in the docs they requested...took a week. I can't believe it after hearing about others experience.

I attempted an ach pull to barclays, well see if it works. Probably not.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 12:00 pm

I usually purchase $500 worth of GCs at Safeway at a time. Anyone run into any problem buying more? Want to avoid raising flags, and just trying to get a feel for whether buying $1000 worth of GC will require manager override at the register?
Old Feb 1, 2014, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by PdxDfwFlyer
I usually purchase $500 worth of GCs at Safeway at a time. Anyone run into any problem buying more? Want to avoid raising flags, and just trying to get a feel for whether buying $1000 worth of GC will require manager override at the register?
Anything over $500 will need an over-ride @ Safeway.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 1:30 pm

Programs: SPG Gold; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by PdxDfwFlyer
I've been buying $2-3K regularly at Safeway for the last several months without issue. Sometimes, the clerk has the override card; other times, a supervisor is needed. They only check ID occasionally at this point.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by kjgco
I've been buying $2-3K regularly at Safeway for the last several months without issue. Sometimes, the clerk has the override card; other times, a supervisor is needed. They only check ID occasionally at this point.
Thanks Msnut1 and kjgco.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 1:05 pm

Phone menu changed, now has an option up front to use the card without registering. When I followed through to the reset PIN option it asked for my birthdate & rejected it. Got through to a CSR and he said I have to register it to set a PIN. Anyone else run into this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.