Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Univision Prepaid Mastercard from Safeway/Vons

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2014, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Alcibiades
These cards no longer earn fuel points.

TIP:Purchases of $500 or more require manager override. You will hold up the line and risk getting shutdown: Hint: $495 + $4.95 fee = $499.95

As of July 16, 2014, cards are not PINable(again) without registration; calling to activate sends to representative. Before Feb 3 2014 and after ~ Mar 17 2014, a PIN could/can be set for one-time use.

The Univision Prepaid Mastercard can only be used for credit card transactions*, not debit. Debit/PIN requires SSN registration for enhanced use. This is a standard restriction for this type of card.
*ask the cashier to enter a partial payment amount if your transaction exceeds your card's stored value, otherwise your card will seem broke/inactive.

Enhanced use reports...
  • Monthly fee at ~30-day anniversary of registration
  • ReloadIt and Moneypak reloading
    • Do not load over 950 in a day, they will suspend your card
    • VR reloading now seems broken
  • Cashover(cashback) available with debit purchase at some registers
  • ACH Pull does not work

The Univision Prepaid Mastercard is product from The Bancorp Bank.

Until 3/24 you could load with VR. Just like with the PIN working, not working, then working again, keep trying with VR and if you succeed, please report here.
Print Wikipost

Univision Prepaid Mastercard from Safeway/Vons

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2014, 1:32 pm

Wow, called in to register and they wanted my SSN. This is bogus, but is there anything we can do?

According to http://thehill.com/blogs/regwatch/fi...serve-guidance

Gift cards with a credit symbol are typically activated when purchased, and consumers can decide if they would like to set up a PIN later. The Fed now says that, in order to comply with Dodd-Frank, companies must issue PIN numbers, or have consumers choose one, before a card is activated.

The central bank’s interpretation of the rule does not hold legal weight, but industries typically treat the guidance as if it does.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by planetchance
Wow, called in to register and they wanted my SSN. This is bogus, but is there anything we can do?

According to http://thehill.com/blogs/regwatch/fi...serve-guidance

Gift cards with a credit symbol are typically activated when purchased, and consumers can decide if they would like to set up a PIN later. The Fed now says that, in order to comply with Dodd-Frank, companies must issue PIN numbers, or have consumers choose one, before a card is activated.

The central bank’s interpretation of the rule does not hold legal weight, but industries typically treat the guidance as if it does.
This is insanely ridiculous. I've never ran into this situation before or dealt in reporting a business to BBB. Cannot enter PIN whatsoever, even after I registered my card over the phone with SSN, address and birthdate, I was unable to set pin afterwards due to "Birthdate does not match our records".
Old Feb 4, 2014, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by hitman1420
This is insanely ridiculous. I've never ran into this situation before or dealt in reporting a business to BBB. Cannot enter PIN whatsoever, even after I registered my card over the phone with SSN, address and birthdate, I was unable to set pin afterwards due to "Birthdate does not match our records".
I wasn't even comfortable with given them my DOB and address, let alone my SSN. Has anyone had success with registering? It seems very sketchy that they want all this information now, and will not release the PIN.

Probably best to move one...
Old Feb 4, 2014, 3:17 pm

Programs: BA, AA, United
There is no point in complaining just for 1 or 2 cards. It will cost $5 to liquidate this in our favorite drug store. Still we came out ahead on this one with the gas rewards. So it's time to move on.
Hopefully some other deal will come up @ SW.

Originally Posted by planetchance
I wasn't even comfortable with given them my DOB and address, let alone my SSN. Has anyone had success with registering? It seems very sketchy that they want all this information now, and will not release the PIN.

Probably best to move one...
Old Feb 4, 2014, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by zceuxbhjutf
PayPowers...
BTW for anybody else, the first time I set the PIN I wondered if it really took. The activation website implies a 4-step process. Step 2 has PIN, confirm PIN, and CAPTCHA inputs, then a Continue button. Yes, it works -- no need to worry about the remaining 2 steps.
So, you just aborted the registration (or as they title the page 'activation') at step 3, and were able to use card for PIN transactions?

Nice bit of info.

Not sure which is faster phone registration of online. Entering the 'captcha' is an extra step, and, I always seem to screw those up 2 out of 3 times.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 3:42 pm

Programs: SPG, Hyatt Diamond Member, Club Calrson Silver, AA, Hilton Gold, BA
I really wish I saw the new development on this univision card before I bought it today. Sigh.

Is there a website where I can register the univision? I rather not call them since its more convenient for me to do it online at my own time. Or we can just amazon payment the full $500 and not register right?
Old Feb 4, 2014, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Sounds like this is a system glitch.

Or...you can keep trying dates starting from say 'Feb 4th, 1996' and working backwards to 'Jan 1st 1900' and see if one happens to match the DOB in their records

Who knows, you might actually stumble upon the DOB that every account has managed to be assigned.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by livestrongforever
I really wish I saw the new development on this univision card before I bought it today. Sigh.
I almost went at lunch and changed a Amex GC into 6 Univision cards but at the last minute decided to try a different Walmart and see if the Kiosk worked, of course it did not. In hindsight it was a good decision.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 1:28 pm

So I just tried registering my card online. All it asked for was Bday, card #, CVV, and PIN. Said my card was already activated and my pin had been set. Will test tomorrow at WM.

Tried registering 2nd card right afterwards and could not get past the first page. Tried several browsers and private mode.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 2:57 pm

So I just tried registering my card online. All it asked for was Bday, card #, CVV, and PIN. Said my card was already activated and my pin had been set. Will test tomorrow at WM.

Tried registering 2nd card right afterwards and could not get past the first page. Tried several browsers and private mode.
Tried all day yesterday to activate the card online. Would not let me get past the same first screen, with card #, CVV, Bday, and setting the PIN. Let us know how it goes.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 3:14 pm
jmw

Bah.... I got two of these stupid cards and then couldn't set the PIN from my car. I can see the man scolding me now.

After I'm dump them, I'm done unless they fix the birthdate thing. Fuel credits aren't worth squat after the first few cards since I don't operate a fleet of gas guzzling cars in my real business. Dumping them through Amazon means you can't use a credit card for real MS. Bah humbug!

Old Feb 5, 2014, 7:50 pm

Has anyone tried liquidating the Univision cards through evolve without having the PIN set up? Evolve only accepts debit cards but doesn't ask for a PIN.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by AnInfrequentFlyer
Has anyone tried liquidating the Univision cards through evolve without having the PIN set up? Evolve only accepts debit cards but doesn't ask for a PIN.
this guy thinks out the box!
Old Feb 5, 2014, 11:25 pm

Evolve takes it.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 12:42 am

Was unable to register card with PIN online until I had called in. They needed all info: address, SSN, name, number, I didn't give my email when they asked.

After I called in, I was able to set PIN online. Worked at WM for BB, but making a phone call and going online is just too much for me for a PIN. Would be better to offload as credit or through Evolve.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.