FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
This "bidding for upgrades" has been under discussion over in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-f...e-control.html
Old May 29, 2013, 10:27 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
The ultimate thread on buy-ups at OLCI

Not a fan of this system!
Could this affect (upgrade) award space closer to departure?
Old May 29, 2013, 11:21 am

Programs: EK Platinum, FB Ulti PFL, Marriott Ambassador, IHG Spire RA
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
Could this affect (upgrade) award space closer to departure?
When KLM can sell the upgrades in advance for a higher amount they are getting from converting FB miles they will sell these seats.
Its my opinion this indeed will have a negative impact on OLCI upgrades available for purchase and award inventory.

Last edited by HaikoW; May 29, 2013 at 11:28 am
Old May 30, 2013, 4:21 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by HaikoW
Looks like the chance to get an OLCI buy-up wil get slimmer after June 1st.

http://zakenreis.nl/luchtvaart/klm-veilt-upgrades/ (in Dutch)
- Service is called "upgrade yourself" and is access via "my trip on klm.com"
- Select number of flights now, will be expended during the year
- Service is designed for flights where Economy is often oversold
Not being a Dutch speaker I could not read the article (well, I could read it but I wouldn't understand much). I don't understand why chances of a buy-up will get slimmer. If the number of flights is expanding, wouldn't this provide more chances?
Old May 30, 2013, 4:31 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold STE+
Yeah you're right. The numer of flights where a auction for wbc seat is possible is increasing during the year.
Possible to buy an op up within 2 weeks before departure and with an reserve.
Old May 30, 2013, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by florin
I don't understand why chances of a buy-up will get slimmer. If the number of flights is expanding, wouldn't this provide more chances?
I think the original statement was made from the point of view: I'm not going to bid, I prefer to wait and see if an offer appears at OLCI, but once people get the chance to bid then seats that would have been available at OLCI will already have been taken.

There are two separate processes going on here.

Up until now, there has been this "upgrade at OLCI" option, the subject of this very thread. This "option" appears only 30/24 hours before departure. As seen in this thread, when the loads are low, the amount suggested by KLM can (but not always!) be relatively low.

This new "bidding for upgrade" is a new process, which will be on offer, and completed, before the old "upgrade at OLCI" offer can be made.

As such, seats that previously might have been subject to the "upgrade at OLCI" offer might disappear already at the "bid for upgrade" stage, meaning that the stock of seats availbale for OLCI upgrades is diminished.

Given that there's a minimum amount, which presumably corresponds with what the OLCI upgrade offer would have been/will be, of course this will depend on the number of people who bid an amount equal to, or greater, that amount -and many people might not bid enough. And given that it appears that the "bid for upgrades" might be targetted more at flights that are oversold in economy, then the two programmes may actually not really "compete" in the manner suggested above.

Or stated another way, those who would have had to wait until OLCI before seeing if there was an offer, may be able to get the upgrade earlier by bidding, using the historical information provided here as a guide.
Old May 30, 2013, 6:47 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Won't this piss off paid J flyers?
If they have a full cabin with people who only paid +/- 300 more than their Economy ticket, it does not makes sense to pay full fare for J. (from a very blunt perspective)
Old May 30, 2013, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, you're never guaranteed to get the OLCI offer, or to be given the chance to bid, so it's a risky strategy for someone who wants to fly J to book Y and try and buy up.

The OLCI offer has been going for over 2 years now and I wonder if KLM has received any complaints from J flyers. I guess not. Many people flying in J have probably had their ticket paid by someone else (employer) or, if they fly on their own dime, probably want the certainty of having a J seat rather than hoping they get the offer later on.
Old May 30, 2013, 10:00 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Plat
AMS-VIE (this morning, on E190). Offered upgrade at OLCI for 159 Euro. At that time, only two seats in J were taken (out of 8). Of course, I didn't take it. The same seats were the only ones occupied on this early morning flight.

Somewhat off-topic, no Economy Comfort (apart from exit seats) was offered...
Old May 30, 2013, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
Won't this piss off paid J flyers?
If they have a full cabin with people who only paid +/- 300 more than their Economy ticket, it does not makes sense to pay full fare for J. (from a very blunt perspective)
Beats having a cabin full of illegal non-rev OpUps.

Guess who are going to be really pissed off by this!
Old May 30, 2013, 2:26 pm
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Talking Still 1 Simple Answer...

Want First=Buy First
Old May 30, 2013, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by johan rebel
Beats having a cabin full of illegal non-rev OpUps.

Guess who are going to be really pissed off by this!
Will I have any chance for an op-up being non-rev from another airline? What do you think?
Old May 31, 2013, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by I_Can_Fly_US_Airways
Want First=Buy First
No First on KL though!!!
Old May 31, 2013, 4:23 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Thanks for the clarification, irishguy28. I guess they are copying the AF model of offering UGs ahead of time for some apparently random amount. Offering this in advance also allows them to target the offer to specific pax (e.g. pax on higher fares, give a pax who frequently fly Y a sample of C hoping that in the future they'd be interested in flying C <NW did that discreetly at some point>, etc.) I understand the reasoning behind it; tho I'm note sure I like it.

Originally Posted by I_Can_Fly_US_Airways
Want First=Buy First
That's the kind of DL speak that doesn't fly here.
Old May 31, 2013, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I really don't think that the original fare class has anything much to do with it.

I was travelling last week in R class (25%), and got the offer for about as low as it seems to be these days (though perhaps status helps?).

To be honest, I know they say it's offered only to early check-ins (and my sequence number turned out to be in the low teens), but I imagine they offer it to everyone until such time as the number of seats they are prepared to sell in this manner have been sold...so if you check in late the only reason you don't get the offer is that they have sold as many as they had planned...they may not wish to sell every single seat in the J cabin just in case someone wants to buy a ticket for immediate departure at the airport!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.