Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The ultimate thread on buy-ups at OLCI

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:00 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Originally Posted by Henry III
Aaah, but you have the awesome power of a FlyerTalk Moderator; mere mortals just have to (learn to) accept the way things are!

-- H
I doubt it, FT Moderator powers are quite small outside the Flying Blue forum
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:43 pm

Programs: FB-LTPE
Tuesday KL 651 (Ams-IAD) with lots of empty seats in Y/EC and C, upgrade to business was offered for more than 1000 euro (or dollars, I was not paying much attention to it).
Old Feb 22, 2013, 3:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
I was offered the upgrade offer between AMS & VIE today at a kiosk at AMS. It was around 70 euro IIRC.

What in terms of catering is available in business class on that route, bearing in mind the airborne block time of around 1hr35?
Old Feb 22, 2013, 3:46 pm

Programs: FB Plat & DL KM, Le Club Plat, GHA Plat, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Schwann
I was offered the upgrade offer between AMS & VIE today at a kiosk at AMS. It was around 70 euro IIRC.

What in terms of catering is available in business class on that route, bearing in mind the airborne block time of around 1hr35?
Unless traveling in the morning, you can expect a small amuse, (cold) meal salad/sandwich with a hot roll, and a dessert.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 1:42 am

Offered it again for tomorrow £57.00GBP for VIE-AMS.

Tempted but probably won't. Opinions?
Old Feb 23, 2013, 1:47 am

Originally Posted by Gajan
My mother upgraded her KUL-AMS flight recently for € 323 from her cheap R-class (Wereld deal weken). Normal economy miles posted, but I made a print of the terms and conditions (and sent is off to KLM Facebook) that except for baggage allowance you are treated the same as Business Class.

They informed me that the miles for WBC will be corrected within 48 hours.

Gajan
And the miles posted at 175%, very pleased!
Old Feb 23, 2013, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by Schwann
Offered it again for tomorrow £57.00GBP for VIE-AMS.

Tempted but probably won't. Opinions?
I think you need some encouragement. Therefore just go for it. Is it the best way to spend $57GBP? No. Will it be a pleasant experience? Yes. Will it boost KL's bottom line? Yes, otherwise they would not be offering it. Is it a nice opportunity? Yes, at least you will have a reference for future offers. The jet lounge at VIE is nice, catering by DO&CO, at lunch and dinner time with a hot meal. Please report afterwards!
Old Feb 24, 2013, 1:44 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
I appear to have the worst luck with KLM 4th intl flight with them in a month, no EC open or buy up offered yet.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:23 pm

I decided to bite! Upgraded VIE-AMS this afternoon for £57.00, bit of a headache with trying to get KLM to accept payment but eventually it all went through.

I probably hit the JET Lounge at the wrong time, I entered about 11:00 and was out not long after 12:00 to board. The food offerings were soup, and 'bar' snacks. There were remnants of croissants etc left over from breakfast. I had just eaten a big breakfast (one of the better points of the NH Vienna Airport Hotel) so wasn't particularly hungry.

Onboard it was the aforementioned sandwich roll, with an assortment of salad items and a praline desert. The items were high quality and tasted fine.

Service was "business friendly" as they say. Not bad but not exactly amazing either.

Would I do it again? Only if the price was right and it was a longer flight.

A photo of the meal anyway, for future reference:

Old Feb 24, 2013, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That looks like plastic turkey/chicken? How Dutch.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 2:12 pm

Yes! The other option was mozzarella and tomato..
Old Mar 3, 2013, 8:11 am

AMS-VIE 159 euros, didn't take it. The price didn't change throughout 24h prior to take off and no apparent takers for this offer. However, there was a nice "purser's cousin's hairdresser's friend" upgrade, after the doors closed. It proceeded in two steps. First, the lady asked the purser whether should change her seat to an empty row of two (E190) which happened to be the first row of Y to which he happily agreed. Then he offered her a seat in the last row of J to which she happily agreed.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 5:34 am

Yesterday (Sunday 11th March) offered 85 CHF (about 60 GBP according to www.xe.com) for LHR -> AMS. I took it just to experience KLM business class. Second time I've been offered this I think on this route on a Sunday evening but didn't take it first time round.
Did enjoy the LHR T4 Skyteam lounge and very nice experience on board. Not entirely certain I'd take it up again (flight is too short for such extravagances) but no regrets about doing it last night.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 4:24 am

In Oct. 2012 I bought an upgrade for €279 from AMS-PVG.
I was booked in lowest fare economy R. I noticed I only got 25% of the miles.

I contacted them today, months later, via Twitter and told them I didn't get 175% miles rewarded. They said to look at the General Terms and Conditions Rule 2.8 http://goo.gl/OFjSN

But I then reminded them about what's on on this page http://goo.gl/Cqvz7
and look at rule 1.2.

They apologized for the confusion in the rules and said they will make a exception because the rules were not clear.

The miles will be in my account within 48 hours.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by sebastianschipr
In Oct. 2012 I bought an upgrade for €279 from AMS-PVG.
I was booked in lowest fare economy R. I noticed I only got 25% of the miles.

I contacted them today, months later, via Twitter and told them I didn't get 175% miles rewarded. They said to look at the General Terms and Conditions Rule 2.8 http://goo.gl/OFjSN

But I then reminded them about what's on on this page http://goo.gl/Cqvz7
and look at rule 1.2.

They apologized for the confusion in the rules and said they will make a exception because the rules were not clear.

The miles will be in my account within 48 hours.
That is what happened in my case too

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.