Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The ultimate thread on buy-ups at OLCI

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2013, 8:29 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by florin
EC was full, mostly kettles (at least 5 people were in EC were on a group trip from OTP to EZE - I overheard them - definitely kettles).
Kettles?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kettle
Old Feb 7, 2013, 9:52 am

Programs: FB Platinum for Life; BAEC Gold Guest List; Accor Gold.
From the online 'Urban Dictionary':
Kettle

An irregular air traveler (1-2x/year) who feels entitled to use first class and premium check-in counters, and/or attempts to board during first class or elite boarding groups. Kettles are often oblivious to boundaries such as curtains separating first class from the main cabin, or crowd around Priority boarding lanes to prevent premium customers from accessing them.

An airline passenger traveling with too much luggage, both out of touch with and unaware of airport boarding and security procedures, is a Kettle.

-- Henry
Old Feb 9, 2013, 1:58 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Thanks, Henry.

GVA-AMS UG offered for CHF 95 when I checked in a few minutes ago. (I didn't bite.)
Old Feb 9, 2013, 2:16 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Originally Posted by florin
Thanks, Henry.

GVA-AMS UG offered for CHF 95 when I checked in a few minutes ago. (I didn't bite.)
I got GVA-AMS for E 79 (KL1930 today).
Which flight are you on?
Old Feb 9, 2013, 7:08 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Gajan
I got GVA-AMS for E 79 (KL1930 today).
Which flight are you on?
I'm on KL1928 tomorrow. CHF 95 is roughly €79 so the pricing seems consistent.

Last edited by florin; Feb 9, 2013 at 7:14 am
Old Feb 10, 2013, 4:20 am

Programs: FB, PELT: M&M Senator: Priority Club Platinum Ambasador, BA, Mariott Gold, Hilton Gold,
Originally Posted by lunadingo
For Feb 7th AMS-PVG (KL 893) UG offered for €340. Front section of 74W and upper deck almost all seats empty at the time of OLCI. . Many seats availeble in EC.. so, I think this is just a revenue deal, not operational.. Took the offer as I'm booked in the cheapest bucket economy and don't think it's overbooked but I'll post back the situation in the plane once I get there..
Flight was about 98% full in Economy with a few seats to spare.. seemed to have moved some to EC... In business upstairs 3 people in total.. Even the FA's though this was a new (low) record.. Not sure how many of them like me paid for the upgrade..
Old Feb 12, 2013, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

CPH-AMS, 8 seats offered at €159 each.

Johan
Old Feb 12, 2013, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lunadingo
Flight was about 98% full in Economy with a few seats to spare.. In business upstairs 3 people in total.. Even the FA's though this was a new (low) record.. Not sure how many of them like me paid for the upgrade..
Even if all of them did, then it still shows that there were not many takers at €340 for a long flight.

Johan
Old Feb 13, 2013, 1:23 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold STE+
Offered 70EU for europe business upgrade to vienna, did take it.
Never flown europe business so lets see.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

CPH-AMS went out with all eight vacant EB seats still empty. Unless one of the four pax OLCI'd before I did and purchased an upgrade, there were no takers at €159 (even though on of the four did look like a cross between a backpacker and an overloaded pack mule, I'd still put my money on nobody having upgraded).

After I had checked in the upgrade offer disappeared, by the way, never to return. I'm still wondering whether this is a consequence of selecting an EC seat (my original one had been pre-assigned), as there were still plenty of seats they could have offered for sale.

Johan
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:47 am
tff

Programs: FB LTPE, TP Gold, All Gold
LIS-AMS offered for €70.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 4:50 am

Programs: FB Plat & DL KM, Le Club Plat, GHA Plat, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by tff
LIS-AMS offered for €70.
did you take it?
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:37 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
AMS-YYZ KL691 Y to C for 275 euros

Got an offer of 275 Euros to upgrade to WBC on AMS-YYZ KL691. Thought it was a good deal for a Q class fare and took it.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 9:18 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
KUL-AMS € 323 + WBC mileage

My mother upgraded her KUL-AMS flight recently for € 323 from her cheap R-class (Wereld deal weken). Normal economy miles posted, but I made a print of the terms and conditions (and sent is off to KLM Facebook) that except for baggage allowance you are treated the same as Business Class.

They informed me that the miles for WBC will be corrected within 48 hours.

Gajan
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:58 am

Programs: FB Platinum for Life; BAEC Gold Guest List; Accor Gold.
Originally Posted by Gajan
My mother upgraded her KUL-AMS flight recently for € 323 from her cheap R-class (Wereld deal weken). Normal economy miles posted, but I made a print of the terms and conditions (and sent is off to KLM Facebook) that except for baggage allowance you are treated the same as Business Class.

They informed me that the miles for WBC will be corrected within 48 hours.

Gajan
Aaah, but you have the awesome power of a FlyerTalk Moderator; mere mortals just have to (learn to) accept the way things are!

-- H

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.