Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The ultimate thread on buy-ups at OLCI

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alesfo
Plus, the flight will be packed in Y, so I might get it anyway for free (well, that's one hope).
Do let us know whether you get it or not.

Johan
Old Jan 22, 2013, 2:47 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by johan rebel
Do let us know whether you get it or not.

Johan
At OLCI most of economy was full (I could only get a seat in row 15), with exit rows, economy comfort and EBC almost empty. I actually did OLCI quite late because I was supposed to be on yesterday's evening flight, and got rebooked only in the late afternoon.

At Schiphol I politely asked the check-in agent whether it was possible to be moved to EC, since the normal economy was likely to be overbooked anyway. She said that EC was already full, and that I should ask at the gate.

Right now the situation is: ordinary economy full, EC full (I would assume that they aren't all plat or paying passenger), four empy emergency row seats and some six seats in EBC.

Not sure if it's worth asking anything at the gate, but after yesterday's cancellation and how the rebooking was poorly handled (ok, that's a separate story) I was hoping for some reason to keep enjoying flying KL.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by ajs123
The original comment pertained to champagne in the KL lounge. So while Billecart-Salmon is on long haul flights (and seems to stay with us for a loong time to come), there is a different one in the lounge - cannot recall the brand, but it rather ok.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 5:06 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by alesfo
Right now the situation is: ordinary economy full, EC full (I would assume that they aren't all plat or paying passenger), four empy emergency row seats and some six seats in EBC.
Bear in mind that high economy fares (e.g. Y) also get free EC. Some elites + some paying for EC + some expensive fares might explain the situation.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by florin
Bear in mind that high economy fares (e.g. Y) also get free EC. Some elites + some paying for EC + some expensive fares might explain the situation.
Update: at the gate the situation changed slightly: one EBC row was turned into EC. That left 6 EC free seats and 2 EBC ones. I asked the gate agent if she could move me forward from my 15F seat, and she gave me 6D (EC) with no problem. I did not ask explicitly for EBC (that would have been pushing it too much I think)

Eventually the flight left completely full (including EBC). Don't know whether the two vacant EBC seats were actually sold or just assigned. I think that people in EC where mostly passengers on the previous AMS-LIS that got cancelled, and ended up in EC when regular Y was overbooked, but it's honestly hard to tell.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AMS-CPH, not offered. This even though at least 9 seats are still offered for sale, in an EB cabin configured with 16 seats.

I'm beginning to wonder if EC has anything to do with it? I haven't seen any OLCI UG offer since this whole thing started. Maybe they don't/can't offer EB upgrades to those who have already paid for EC (although as a LTPE I have of course not paid)?

Johan
Old Jan 29, 2013, 6:23 am

Programs: FB-LTPE
AMS-CPH, not offered. This even though at least 9 seats are still offered for sale, in an EB cabin configured with 16 seats.

I'm beginning to wonder if EC has anything to do with it? I haven't seen any OLCI UG offer since this whole thing started. Maybe they don't/can't offer EB upgrades to those who have already paid for EC (although as a LTPE I have of course not paid)?

Johan
I got one buy-up offer since EC started, forgot which route as I am not really interested in the intra-Europe ones.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NB00
I got one buy-up offer since EC started,
So did I, but it was an F70 with no EC. Coincidence, perhaps.

Johan
Old Jan 30, 2013, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The AMS-CPH flight went out with 1/16 in EB (well, that's to say, one genuine J pax). Beats me why no buy-ups were offered at OLCI. Maybe they have realized that only the certified mad woud consider paying €159 for a sandwich.

As an aside, Y pax spent quite some time cramming the EB overhead lockers full of bags, jackets and what-have-you, happily assisted by the cabin crew. The stuff was pushed, shoved, pressed and crammed in every which way. The belongings of the single J pax were unceremoniously squeezed into a corner to make everything fit. Maybe it's time KL starts thinking about enforcing carry-on rules.

Also, why do some pax think that just because their bag has wheels, they have to drag it behind them down the aisle, constantly banging seats, jamming it under armrests and generally holding up pax behind them.

Johan
Old Jan 30, 2013, 3:03 pm

As an aside, Y pax spent quite some time cramming the EB overhead lockers full of bags, jackets and what-have-you, happily assisted by the cabin crew. The stuff was pushed, shoved, pressed and crammed in every which way. The belongings of the single J pax were unceremoniously squeezed into a corner to make everything fit. Maybe it's time KL starts thinking about enforcing carry-on rules.

Also, why do some pax think that just because their bag has wheels, they have to drag it behind them down the aisle, constantly banging seats, jamming it under armrests and generally holding up pax behind them.

Johan
Lately this is more and more common, at least on AMS-LIN-AMS. When the flight is AZ operated sometimes scolds the pax with too much carry-on (that is something like one suitcase + 1 handbag + 1 purse + 1 duty free bag + coat), but eventually everything ends being squeezed in the overhead compartements of EBC/Ottima. Not many people putting the bags below the seat in front of them, and some times (especially AZ) FAs ask them to do so esplicitely (in particular for bottles, apparently for safety reasons).
Old Jan 31, 2013, 7:57 am

Programs: KL Platinum
€288 AMS - DEL with only upper deck available. The passenger carrying an infant isn't permitted to upgrade, something to do with oxygen mask availability upstairs; is this correct information?
Old Feb 4, 2013, 3:46 pm

OTP-AMS UG offered for €119. Just 2 rows of C, all seats empty at the time of OLCI. (I declined)
Old Feb 6, 2013, 7:46 am

Programs: FB, PELT: M&M Senator: Priority Club Platinum Ambasador, BA, Mariott Gold, Hilton Gold,
For Feb 7th AMS-PVG (KL 893) UG offered for €340. Front section of 74W and upper deck almost all seats empty at the time of OLCI. . Many seats availeble in EC.. so, I think this is just a revenue deal, not operational.. Took the offer as I'm booked in the cheapest bucket economy and don't think it's overbooked but I'll post back the situation in the plane once I get there..
Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:38 am

LHR-AMS offered at 57GBP. Again not really worthy with no extra miles.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 4:46 am

Originally Posted by florin
OTP-AMS UG offered for €119. Just 2 rows of C, all seats empty at the time of OLCI. (I declined)
The flight left with 6 pax in C. When I checked in I asked if the flight was full and the answer was "oh yes! very much so!". I asked if they needed volunteers and the answer was "KL doesn't do that anymore [from here]; with AF/RO/OK choices, they just reroute people if they need to". The flight did indeed seem full, but I haven't actually checked to see if there are any open seats in Y. So maybe at least some of the 6 people in C were OPUPed; there's no way to know if they actually payed for the UG. EC was full, mostly kettles (at least 5 people were in EC were on a group trip from OTP to EZE - I overheard them - definitely kettles).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.