Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The ultimate thread on buy-ups at OLCI

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2012, 7:51 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platiunum, Ba Executive Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Gold Plus 5 Star
Ams+jfk € 219

Just returned from NYC.

Las week, when I was checking in at home for the flight to JFK, the upgrade was available for 1359 euros!!!

But the following day, when I was at the airport, the upgrade was available for 219 euros!

Got it and I had a great time in the lounge and a great time in the air.

Now are the Dutch weeks, so I had to take a Dutch wine. Tried, not recommended! Stick to the South African Chardonnay!

Besides that, the only downside were the bones in my sea bass fillet.

Definitely worth the money.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Haven't been offered an upgrade at OLCI for ages, so presumably I am off their radar now. I just went ahead and completed check-in, instead of waiting for nearer the time. The route is MAN-AMS-BSL tomorrow.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:13 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
AMS-LHR tomorrow for a whopping € 159

Interesting to see that when OLCI opened I was not given the choice to buy up, but after 12 hours the option is given.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 4:21 pm

I posted this in another thread earlier but this appears to be a more appropriate forum. Apologies in advance for re-posting.

Can you kindly share information on what stage of online checkin does this upgrade option (if offered) shows up?

Is it a pop up that shows up when trying to "click" checkin? or is it a fixed tab/link that one needs to click when checking in online.

I just checked in on line for the KLM flight outbound SFO-AMS but didn't see any such option. I only see an option to add extra luggage. I am guessing the option doesn't even show up for most people. I just wanted to make sure I am not missing anything obvious.

Now that I am checked in with no upgrade offered, I will try my luck at the Kiosk/Gate before boarding.

Thanks
KC
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:14 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Hi kaychau,

It should show up on the seat selection screen. If it is available it should show up next to the icon for extra luggage / you should be able to see the WBC seat plan.
It may be advisable to check every now and then as offers can come up and disappear (and vice versa).

Gajan
Old Nov 21, 2012, 1:09 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Originally Posted by Gajan
AMS-LHR tomorrow for a whopping € 159

Interesting to see that when OLCI opened I was not given the choice to buy up, but after 12 hours the option is given.
Same for AMS-TXL: not offered at t-30, but available at €159 at t-20. No thanks, I'm fine with a seat in row 9, free of charge.

edit 1: btw first time I see that OLCI shows 30 rows which indicates a 737-800, while Schiphol.nl says it's been changed to a -900

edit 2: t-16: Now lowered to €79, so I guess a full flight and no takers (surprise!!!) for the €159 offer.

Last edited by KL895; Nov 21, 2012 at 4:44 pm
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:09 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
CHF 195 for GVA-AMS. That's about EUR150. Not even worth itnow that they substituted a F100 for the E190 originally scheduled - free C and E seats on the F100...

OT: the AF lounge at GVA is closed for renovation, pax are sent to the LX C lounge...
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:53 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by MichielR
OT: the AF lounge at GVA is closed for renovation, pax are sent to the LX C lounge...
How does that compare?
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by Xandrios
How does that compare?
Better food, that's not difficult because the AF lounge has nothing but biscuits and crackers. Better drinks selection too, that's not very difficult either. More crowded though with LX/LH pax plus additional AFKL pax.

No idea how they cope with flights to France, where LX and AF pax to CDG and NCE normally use the AF lounge which is the only one accessible from the French sector departures lounge.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 3:35 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Thanks

KL1576 ATH-AMS tomorrow: 8 our of 8 Business seats available, 119 euro upgrade fee. Not a single booking so far in C. That while the flight has been sold out in Y for almost a week (I snagged the last seat Sunday due to unforseen last-minute travel).
Old Nov 23, 2012, 4:18 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), Bonvoy Gold, ALL Silver
Originally Posted by MichielR
OT (again) is that the one more or less opposite the BA lounge? Have a flight out in 8 days time
Old Nov 23, 2012, 4:19 am

Programs: DL - DM, Charter KM; Marriott Ambassador
Was hoping for the ask ORD-AMS today but no luck yesterday at check in or this morning whilst checking again.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by MichaelKade
Was hoping for the ask ORD-AMS today but no luck yesterday at check in or this morning whilst checking again.
Seems to be good availability on that flight - all fare buckets are set at 9, except for the two lowest economy buckets, V and G, which are at 0.

So if they do sell upgrades - it's likely to be at a high price.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by Cupart
OT (again) is that the one more or less opposite the BA lounge? Have a flight out in 8 days time
Yes, opposite the BA lounge, down the same corridor as the AF lounge.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:16 pm

FYI - was not offered the upgrade for SFO-AMS leg even at the airport. The agent told me the flight is completely full and they had 2 seats in Y which were used for upgrade earlier. I wonder why I never got that option online.

OTOH - after a nice 3 days break in AMS, I checked in online for AMS-DEL flight and the seat selection allowed me to choose a C class for 289 Euros. Looked expensive to me but I still went for it for the experience. At time of payment, the message displayed that the luggage allowance will still be Economy. To my surprise, at the airport I checked in a second bag and the agent did not charge me for it. Effectively, my upgrade came out to 200 Euros given I would have checked in the second bag any way. Didn't make use of the lounge but good in flight experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.