Wiki Posts
Search

The ultimate thread on buy-ups at OLCI

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2011, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
The ultimate thread on buy-ups at OLCI

On both of my recent intercontinental KLM flights (AMS-BKK and HKG-AMS) I was offered a paid upgrade to business class during OLCI. (EUR 224 on the outbound and something like EUR 330 on the inbound) In your experience, how often does this happen? I paid on the outbound as I found the extra fare reasonable, and stayed in economy on the inbound (and slept 8 hours non-stop on a packed flight!)
I also was happy to see that I received 125% miles on the upgraded flight.
Added: AMS - BKK was booked in K class, HKG - AMS in T class

Last edited by Sjoerd; Jan 14, 2011 at 9:58 am Reason: Change title
Old Jan 14, 2011, 8:47 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
According to Jetfan in this thread people are selected ad random.

Maybe we could start a thread on this topic where everyone who is offered a buy-up upgrade can post the price of the upgrade and the route in question for reference material.

Gajan
aeroman380 likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 8:49 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Perhaps the original booking class is of interest as well. I can imagine the upgrade fee is different for somebody on a full Y ticket, than for somebody on a G discount ticket. Are the upgrades available for everybody (at random) anyway?

Must say that in years of flying KL i have never been offered this option. I do fy mostly intra-europe though, I dont know if these upgrades are limited to long-haul?
aeroman380 likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Gajan
According to Jetfan in this thread people are selected ad random.

Maybe we could start a thread on this topic where everyone who is offered a buy-up upgrade can post the price of the upgrade and the route in question for reference material.

Gajan
^ Like Xandrios, I have never been offered that (despite indeed asking a couple of times if a paid upgrade could be arranged) but it would be nice to have a thread and to hope it shows a development towards a BA-type paid upgrade system, which I would personally appreciate (especially if, like BA, it potentially goes all the way to C -> P with AF)
Old Jan 14, 2011, 9:17 am

Recent experiences by members

As it is not possible to copy other posts into this thread keeping the current order of posts, the most recent experience is of Frequent flier 101, who was offered an upgrade from economy (fare class: T; no Skyteam status) from KUL to AMS for €270.

If possible please supply fare-class and if you have any Skyteam/Flying Blue status.

Last edited by Gajan; Jan 14, 2011 at 9:41 am
Old Jan 14, 2011, 9:36 am

Programs: SQ PPS, FB Plat, LH SEN *G, Emirates Gold, SPG Plat, Accor Plat, Hhonors Gold and some others
i got it offered back in Nov10 on a AMS - DXB flight, as i can remember also around 300EUR. because it was a dayflight, i didn't take it
They didn't offer it on the way back while i hoped for it because it was a night flight
Old Jan 14, 2011, 9:38 am

someone also posted (on http://voyageforum.com/) he has been offered this buy-up on a FB award ticket

i finally found the thread http://voyageforum.com/v.f?post=3758...ssement%20klm;
Old Jan 14, 2011, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder whether these OLCI upgrades are offered mainly or only on overbooked flights, as a way to make some money from pax who would otherwise have been given an OpUp?

Johan
Old Jan 14, 2011, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by johan rebel
I wonder whether these OLCI upgrades are offered mainly or only on overbooked flights, as a way to make some money from pax who would otherwise have been given an OpUp?

Johan
I have also wondered indeed...
Old Jan 15, 2011, 1:29 am

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M, BA Executive Club, Sofitel Plat, Priority Club, Starwood Preferred Guest

Johan
I hear they are given on flights where the J-cabin has relatively many open seats, irrespective of the seat count in the Y-cabin.
And apparently they are offered on a random basis primarily to those doing an early web check-in -> this is last bit is confirmed by some posts here stating an early security number.

I have not yet discoved the link between fare class, distance and upgrade fee offered.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jetfan
I hear they are given on flights where the J-cabin has relatively many open seats, irrespective of the seat count in the Y-cabin.
No doubt much to the chagrin of the cabin crew, who now have to leave their poor relatives, friends, neighbors etc. to suffer in Y class whilst WBC seats are sold for a pittance to dastardly customers who pay the FAs salaries.

Johan
KOTAR1988 likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 2:43 pm

In the other thread the OP said he got the WBC mileage accrual as well, which would make it a no-brainer to accept the offer.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 9:30 pm

I was recently offered (and took!) the OLCI buy-up on IAD-AMS for 213 euros on a V fare. I was not offered it for the return, a Q fare.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 2:18 am

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M, BA Executive Club, Sofitel Plat, Priority Club, Starwood Preferred Guest
No doubt much to the chagrin of the cabin crew, who now have to leave their poor relatives, friends, neighbors etc. to suffer in Y class whilst WBC seats are sold for a pittance to dastardly customers who pay the FAs salaries.

Johan
Old Jan 18, 2011, 4:53 am

Originally Posted by jetfan
And apparently they are offered on a random basis primarily to those doing an early web check-in -> this is last bit is confirmed by some posts here stating an early security number.
It would appear that it is also on the website now (not in the exact wording):

As of now, you can also arrange an upgrade yourself at a self-service machine at the airport! If World Business Class seats are still available, buying an upgrade is a matter of seconds.

We may even offer you an upgrade at a great discount when you check in at a self-service machine, or online at KLM.com!
Gajan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.