The ultimate thread on buy-ups at OLCI

Old Jan 18, 2011, 5:21 am

Programs: Flying Blue Ivory, EasyJet Plus, Club Corsair Gold, Thalys TheCard Platinum, Navigo 1-5
This is offered when your original booking class is eligible and if there's availability in the destination booking class for the selected upgrade. No discrimination per pax or whatsoever.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 12:43 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
I have to hand it to KLM...quite ingenious for them to sell these upgrades at lower rates when the flight is overbooked. They know they have to upgrade people anyway, so why not let people be guaranteed to be on the upgrade list by paying a ~$250 fee?

Both parties win. KLM gets a bit extra for the seat that they otherwise would have to give away, and the passenger is happy to have gotten a bargain.

Only losers, of course, are the frequent flyers...who would otherwise might have gotten the upgrade for free.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Originally Posted by Gajan
It would appear that it is also on the website now
From that site: "If you buy an upgrade, you also receive 150% Flying Blue Miles."

Not true. I got 125% miles only.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 2:27 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Why do so many elites think they have right to complimentary upgrades? I realy apreciate when I get one, but I don't count on it. I think it's totally normal that an airline wants their pax to pay for a product rather than expect it for free. KL would loose a lot of C revenue if elite upgrades were common place. (See also my footer)
This OLCI upgrade offer is clever indeed and seems often fair enough. Since I fly a lot on high yield routes I understandably never receive them though!
KOTAR1988 likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sjoerd
From that site: "If you buy an upgrade, you also receive 150% Flying Blue Miles."

Not true. I got 125% miles only.
Take a screen shot, submit a claim.

Johan
Old Jan 19, 2011, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by Zembla
Why do so many elites think they have right to complimentary upgrades? I realy apreciate when I get one, but I don't count on it. I think it's totally normal that an airline wants their pax to pay for a product rather than expect it for free. KL would loose a lot of C revenue if elite upgrades were common place. (See also my footer)
This OLCI upgrade offer is clever indeed and seems often fair enough. Since I fly a lot on high yield routes I understandably never receive them though!
It is something that used to be offered, and still is offered through many of the competitive programs. Its not a right - but without it the program is simply less valuable compared to other programs.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 9:48 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Originally Posted by Xandrios
It is something that used to be offered, and still is offered through many of the competitive programs. Its not a right - but without it the program is simply less valuable compared to other programs.
True, it used to be more frequent before the merge of AF and KL. I find it hard to compare complimentary upgrades frequency with competition though. Do any benchmarks exist?
Old Jan 19, 2011, 10:08 am

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M, BA Executive Club, Sofitel Plat, Priority Club, Starwood Preferred Guest
True, it used to be more frequent before the merge of AF and KL. I find it hard to compare complimentary upgrades frequency with competition though. Do any benchmarks exist?
Not sure if this is only because of the merger or just because KLM's J-class cabins have shrunk versus the number of Y-class seats:
a) because of new aircraft types (think of the 777-200 and 777-300 with only 35 J)
b) reduction of the MD-11 from 31 to 24 J-seats.
I remember "back then" that the 747's had in excess of 50 J-class seats (those days that the zone between doors 1L and 2L had J-class too.

The merger has surely also played a role because more business travellers combine AF and KL in their itineraries thus leaving less free J-seats.

As to the benchmark, I would imagine there are more Operational upgrades (that's something different than a Complimentary upgrade) on airlines with 3 cabins First/Business/Economy (AF/LH/BA/LX/CX/SQ/etc etc) than on airlines with 2 cabins like KL because it's more difficult to manage the exact overbooking patterns?

Personally I think this feature is a clever way of generating extra cash for the airline, but short-term focused.
In my opinion it would be far better to offer it to Frequent Flyers but at a greatly reduced number of miles than the "regular' upgrade.
In that way the airline encourages and rewards loyalty.
Of course the "random" element does discourage deliberate "buying down" behaviour but many of us don't travel in J-cabins on all leisure travel anyway and corporate travel policies cannot be written on a "maybe you get an upgrade" chance.
So I'm not sure about the relevance of that factor.

Last edited by jetfan; Jan 19, 2011 at 10:23 am
Old Jan 19, 2011, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jetfan
I remember "back then" that the 747's had in excess of 50 J-class seats (those days that the zone between doors 1L and 2L had J-class too.
This was only on the 747 Combis, not the full-pax aircraft. The layout was 2+2, but I can't recall the exact number of rows. I think four, which meant a total of 16 seats with a dedicated FA. It was a very pleasant cabin to travel in, given the crew : pax ratio.

Johan

Last edited by johan rebel; Jan 20, 2011 at 12:53 am Reason: colon-p turned into a smiley.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 2:43 pm

Programs: KLM Flying Blue Platinum for Life.. BA Gold , oh and some other shiny bits of plastic ...
Originally Posted by Gajan
According to Jetfan in this thread people are selected ad random.

Maybe we could start a thread on this topic where everyone who is offered a buy-up upgrade can post the price of the upgrade and the route in question for reference material.

Gajan
Last Year I had this offered for a CAI flight.. needless to say the website messed up on the payment stage and I could not continue with it...

I then posted on Flyertalk this and 20 Mins later had a phone call from KLM by one of the people responsible for the 'buy up at OLCI ' have a quick chat..(they DO lurk here ..)

He apologized that he could not overide the system to give me the option to upgrade again as it is a random selection at OLCI to give option...

But in the end got upgraded by the Purser on the flight .. but that was a different story !
Old Feb 18, 2011, 2:20 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
charlesrona paid E276 for an upgrade from AMS to KUL.

Link is here
Old Feb 19, 2011, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by psollitt
Last Year I had this offered for a CAI flight.. needless to say the website messed up on the payment stage and I could not continue with it...

I then posted on Flyertalk this and 20 Mins later had a phone call from KLM by one of the people responsible for the 'buy up at OLCI ' have a quick chat..(they DO lurk here ..)

He apologized that he could not overide the system to give me the option to upgrade again as it is a random selection at OLCI to give option...

But in the end got upgraded by the Purser on the flight .. but that was a different story !
They called after a post here? How did they get a hold of your details? Are you sure its not because you complained (Either written or maybe verbally to the purser) about the not working payment, and they simply followed up?
Old Feb 19, 2011, 1:34 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Originally Posted by Xandrios
They called after a post here? How did they get a hold of your details? Are you sure its not because you complained (Either written or maybe verbally to the purser) about the not working payment, and they simply followed up?
I am guessing that they can see in their system who was offered the upgrade and if it did not go through (and maybe he/she has part of their name in their FT handle).

Gajan
Old Feb 20, 2011, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
(See also my footer)
Well, regarding your footer, I guess different people have different views on what an ideal business model is like. If I owned a bakery, I'd rather have a customer who comes to buy a loaf of bread every day than one who comes only one and splashes 500 in fancy cakes. Elites pax will pay a little bit more than they ought to stick to 'their' airline while occasional pax will only pay your 4000 if they would have anyway because that's best for them for instance on a direct routing. As for the relationship between frequent flying and whining, I'm afraid I really don't see it. How often have I sat next to occasional pax creating a scandal because their plane was delayed by 1 hour because of adverse weather. Of course it happens as well with elite pax, but I don't think it happens significantly more. I have also heard many people whine for upgrades just because they had a middle seat, and I (plat for life in the next few months) never ask unless there is a delay of several hours due to the airline.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 4:52 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
I have also heard many people whine for upgrades just because they had a middle seat, and I (plat for life in the next few months) never ask unless there is a delay of several hours due to the airline.
Don't take the whining part personal. It's certainly not something all FF's do. And there are many non FF's who also do it. There is however a certain type of FF's who think they have a right to upgrades. You only need to read the forums to see it.
And regarding the business model. I've never heard of a baker who gives 500$ worth fancy cakes to the clients who buy a loaf of bread every day!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.