Wiki Posts
Search

The ultimate thread on buy-ups at OLCI

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2011, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by psollitt
Last Year I had this offered for a CAI flight.. needless to say the website messed up on the payment stage and I could not continue with it...

I then posted on Flyertalk this and 20 Mins later had a phone call from KLM by one of the people responsible for the 'buy up at OLCI ' have a quick chat..(they DO lurk here ..)
I really doubt that the spur for them to call you was your post on Flyer Talk. For one thing - how would KLM know how to contact psollitt?

Far more likely is that their check-in system indicated that an error ocurred during the buy-up, which was flagged to an agent, who followed procedure in contacting you based on all the contact details in your PNR in an attempt to secure the extra cash that you had unsuccessfully attempted to give them.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 2:10 pm

Programs: BA Silver, MUCCI des Soins Medicaux, Le médecin personnel à PUCCI GALORE
Originally Posted by Gajan
I am guessing that they can see in their system who was offered the upgrade and if it did not go through (and maybe he/she has part of their name in their FT handle).
I'm sure this is against the rules...

but I am flying on (3M9TUG) on 27th March from JRO to AMS. On the offchance that someone here can offer me the xx Euro upgrade fee online I will snap their hand off. Not turned right in many many years and doing this for charity so little choice on flights
Old Feb 28, 2011, 10:54 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Eurobonus
SAS Scandinavian have a system for discounted paid upgrades through a service called Optiontown. You can get upgraded in advance for a couple of hundred Euros, but it only seems to happen when there would have been OP-UPs anyway.

Also for reference, OP-UPs are actually MUCH more frequent on SAS than KLM/AF! As Eurobonus Gold, I always have high hopes for an upgrade on my long-haul flights, and it usually happens at least 50% of the time (knock on wood). As Platinum FB for many years, it happened very rarely. Also, SAS make it easy to buy upgrades for points, which is very hard for AF/KLM (I never succeeded).
Old Feb 28, 2011, 5:56 pm

Programs: KL Platinum
On an award flight to JFK from AMS I was offered an upgrade for around €1100. I stayed put in Economy and enjoyed stretching out on the 3 seats I had to myself.

I was in WBC on the way back to AMS, don't know if that made any difference as to why I received an offer during OLCI to begin with.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 3:04 am

Programs: KLM Flying Blue Platinum for Life.. BA Gold , oh and some other shiny bits of plastic ...
Originally Posted by Xandrios
They called after a post here? How did they get a hold of your details? Are you sure its not because you complained (Either written or maybe verbally to the purser) about the not working payment, and they simply followed up?
I am guessing they had access to my details in my booking ... but it defiantly was KLM who phoned me, and They mentioned flyertalk when contacted me..
Old Mar 1, 2011, 3:10 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Originally Posted by psollitt
I am guessing they had access to my details in my booking ... but it defiantly was KLM who phoned me, and They mentioned flyertalk when contacted me..
In that case, I am looking for a KLM person who would like to represent KLM on the FB board. Feel free to contact me!^
Old Mar 1, 2011, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Victor88
On an award flight to JFK from AMS I was offered an upgrade for around €1100. I stayed put in Economy and enjoyed stretching out on the 3 seats I had to myself.

I was in WBC on the way back to AMS, don't know if that made any difference as to why I received an offer during OLCI to begin with.
The interesting part is that if you had three seats to yourself in Y at the end it suggests it wasn't a case of overbooking. On the other hand, the cost of the proporsed upgrade was completely absurd!
Old Mar 2, 2011, 9:51 am

Programs: KL Plat, SN Gold, DL Plat, HH Diamond, IC Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle,
AMS-DEL

30-01-2011 AMS-DEL
B-Class fare
Paid upgrade EUR291 at check in online
from Economy comfort to WBC

Took it as I tought it was worth it.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 1:11 pm

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Originally Posted by Gajan
In that case, I am looking for a KLM person who would like to represent KLM on the FB board. Feel free to contact me!^
No sane KLM person would reveal her/himself here. The result would be quite a few regulars trying to drive the person in a corner, wether reasonable or not. I've seen that happening in the past by the odd KLM-er who got involved in the discussions. It would certainly happen again.

Having said that. Dear KLM lurker...have I deserved a complimentary upgrade now?

Last edited by Zembla; Mar 2, 2011 at 1:28 pm
Old Mar 3, 2011, 12:33 pm

Programs: FB Plat & DL KM, Le Club Plat, GHA Plat, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Zembla
Having said that. Dear KLM lurker...have I deserved a complimentary upgrade now?
Yes, you have! Or would you perhaps prefer a dinner with Peter Hartman instead?
Old Mar 3, 2011, 1:53 pm

Maximizing chances

What is the best strategy to maximize my chance of getting offered an upgrade? Should I check in as soon as OLCI opens? or wait till closer to the flight? or skip OLCI and check in at the airport?
Old Mar 3, 2011, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by ft789
What is the best strategy to maximize my chance of getting offered an upgrade? Should I check in as soon as OLCI opens? or wait till closer to the flight? or skip OLCI and check in at the airport?
Welcome to FT!
It would appear that it is offered ad random to the first people doing OLCI.
So best make sure that you are one of the first.

Gajan
Old Mar 11, 2011, 8:25 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

AMS-HKG
11 March 2011
B-class fare
During online check-in offered for 1658 Euro! [daylight robbery since that is 1/2 of the return fare]

Cheers!
Old Mar 15, 2011, 7:42 am

The person of this trip report (pointed out by KLflyerRalph) was offered the buy up from AMS to SFO for E460.

During the payment phase it failed and he was able to buy the op-up at a self-service transfer machine at Schiphol. Based on the comments from the ground agent they cannot change anything if it goes wrong.

Gajan
Old Mar 17, 2011, 4:20 am

AMS - PVG

This is my first time posting here (been a long time lurker) and wanted to say kudos to this thread. Received an email from KLM this morning to check-in for my flight tomorrow. Check in page offered a choice between upgrading to Economy Comfort or WBC. The WBC was 330 Euro and the fare class was T. This is a business trip, but I am travelling with my partner and hesitated at first since I would have to upgrade for two. But at the last minute decided to go for it because I've never travelled in the upper part of the 747. Hope it is worth it. Don't think I will be able to do it on the return from SIN, but this leg should be nice as it is mostly overnight.

Last edited by roger75; Mar 17, 2011 at 4:21 am Reason: forgot some information

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.