Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The ultimate thread on buy-ups at OLCI

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2011, 6:00 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by bendachentaiwan
haha yes you are right I know my friend always ask to me to fly to europe on his flight and he will give me the upgrade
You are now one of the most hated people on this forum!

Just kidding.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 12:56 am

Programs: Flying Blue: Platinum for Life Elite Plus - EuroBonus: Gold
I found this:
http://www.klm.com/travel/no_en/prep...conditions.htm
it seems that KLM has made upgrading with cash a normal thing.

1. Upgrade from Economy Class to Business Class
1.1 During an online check-in taking place no earlier than 30 hours before departure or at one of the self-service check-in machines at the airport, KLM can offer passengers the option of a paid upgrade from Economy Class to Business Class for part of their trip. From time to time, this option is available at a reduced rate. It is also possible to purchase an upgrade to Business Class for that part of the trip via a travel agent, at the check-in desk at the airport, in our KLM Crown Lounges at Amsterdam Airport Schiphol or aboard the aircraft.

1.2 When you have purchased an upgrade to Business Class for part of your trip, you have the same rights as any other Business Class passenger for that part of your trip except for baggage allowance. Instead of Business Class baggage allowance, you will receive the standard baggage allowance for Economy Class passengers.

1.3 KLM still retains the right, however, to assign a Business Class seat to another passenger should we deem this necessary due to operational, safety or security considerations. The final decision as to whether you will be assigned a Business Class seat is up to the check-in staff and the flight crew for that flight.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 4:04 am

This is known for a long time. Mostly the upgrade isn't the problem, the price is. Of you request an upgrade you'll have to pay the fare difference (which can be huge). The trick is to get that reduced fare.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 3:15 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, Eurobonus Gold (*G), Flying Club, AAdvantage++
I flew BGO-AMS-MAD rt a few weeks ago and got offered BGO-AMS upgrade for €79 at OLCI, but on the return flight I was offered AMS-BGO for €399.
That's not worth it for short legs...

I've a trip to LAS coming up via AMS and DTW, but the long haul is with Delta, not KLM. Does anyone know if OLCI upgrades are offered on code-shared flights? (travelling T class)
I'm Flying Blue Silver now, but might get Gold before the LAS trip.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 1:21 am

Programs: DL FO
You might have a complimentary DL domestic upgrage on the DTW-LAS leg. But I never heard about DL offering cheap upgrades.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

An update on the flight discussed in posts 46-49.

It was indeed overbooked, with the pax in EB having to engage in musical chairs. Two couples had been given window seats on opposite sides and in different rows, two other couples were split between EB and Y. One of the former couples had arrived a few minutes late at the gate for an earlier flight and had to buy full fare J tickets to get on this one. One of the split couples, on the other hand, who held confirmed tickets purchased last October, were told at check-in that the flight was full and they would have to stand by at the gate. Nlo doubt KL sold their seats to the first couple. They only got on the flight because the gate agents managed to scrounge up sufficient volunteers to take the next flight. I believe there were four stand-by pax in total.

It was once again amusing to see that three out of the ten EB pax chose to sit in a middle seat, altough one of them later had a change of min.

Johan
Old Aug 1, 2011, 1:50 am

Let me get this straight, the cost of getting an upgrade, no matter what your fare class is in Economy when flying intracontinental with KLM is starts from €79 euros, no matter the avaliability in Economy class?

Aka, you are paying 80 euros for a seat in the front of the plane with an electrical plug, a free seat in the middle, starter, warm dinner or meal and dessert. In addition to that price you get lounge access?

Wow, that is not a really bad deal for 80 euros, if you are an ivory member. I can imagine if you are gold or platinum, it might not be worth it... but still... correct me if I am not wrong, 80 euros compared to 500 euros for Europe Business Class... KLM must be be bleeding chips here.

SB
Old Aug 1, 2011, 5:56 am

Programs: FB-LTPE
Originally Posted by strikerbird
Aka, you are paying 80 euros for a seat in the front of the plane with an electrical plug, a free seat in the middle, starter, warm dinner or meal and dessert. In addition to that price you get lounge access? Wow, that is not a really bad deal for 80 eurosSB
Hmmm, I prefer to use the 80 euros for a very nice meal with some good wine in a restaurant upon arrival than have some more comfort during an 1 hour flight

(I noticed for the AMS-FCO, which is about 2 hours, the price is about 110 euro).
Old Aug 1, 2011, 8:34 am

Now I am interested to see if class ''R'' is also offered this?
Old Aug 1, 2011, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by NB00
Hmmm, I prefer to use the 80 euros for a very nice meal with some good wine in a restaurant upon arrival than have some more comfort during an 1 hour flight

(I noticed for the AMS-FCO, which is about 2 hours, the price is about 110 euro).
80 € meal in Rome or Paris should be good !
Old Aug 2, 2011, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by strikerbird
Let me get this straight, the cost of getting an upgrade, no matter what your fare class is in Economy when flying intracontinental with KLM is starts from €79 euros, no matter the avaliability in Economy class?
I just spoke to KL reservations (because I still can't OLCI properly, and no, the agent could still not solve the problem), and asked about these upgrades (they never show up when I OLCI, even when available). I was told that they are only offered when Y is full (though not necessarily overbooked) and there are plenty of seats in J. So the idea is clearly to make some extra money in cases where they would otherwise possibly have to Op-Up pax for free.

Johan
Old Aug 2, 2011, 10:17 am

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold
One other advantage: extra miles. I've done the upgrade a couple of times (albeit on long-haul flights) and both times I received miles as if I had paid for World Business Class. For instance, on AMS-TLV, I received 150% miles rather than the 25% miles I would have otherwise gotten.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 7:01 am

Upgrade to EBC now available like upgrading to WBC

KLM announced passengers travelling Economy on intra-European flight (except Paris CDG) can now upgrade to European Business Class on ALL FARES (except awards where an upgrade with miles is possible).
Upgrading is possible via TA, ticket office, at the Crown Lounge, at check-in and even at the gate before boarding.

As I understand it, this is just like WBC upgrades where you pay the fare difference as KLM states that "We [KLM] could also offer you an upgrade with a great discount when checking in online or at a Self Service Kiosk!", which I think is the E79 fee many of you have reported.

Link (Dutch)
Old Aug 3, 2011, 10:17 am

http://www.klm.com/travel/no_en/abou...ness_class.htm

Here is the English version
Old Aug 6, 2011, 8:44 am

I didn't get the offer today. OSL to AMS in R class

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.