The ultimate thread on buy-ups at OLCI

Old Jul 17, 2011, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As regulars will be sick and tired of hearing, I have had OLCI problems since April. As usual, I could not print a BC this morning, so I phoned KL reservations. This time I got a competent agent, who tried everything she could to find not only the cause of the problem, but also a solution. Unfortunately, she failed.

However, when I asked for an aisle seat as far forward as possible, she said I could upgrade to EB for 79. She also said this option should have been offered at the seat selection stage of the OLCI process, but it was not.

Interesting.

Johan
Old Jul 17, 2011, 1:15 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Originally Posted by johan rebel
However, when I asked for an aisle seat as far forward as possible, she said I could upgrade to EB for 79. She also said this option should have been offered at the seat selection stage of the OLCI process, but it was not.

Interesting.

Johan
Johan,

Did it sound like that it is standard practise to offer buy-up to EB? Did she give any more information?

Gajan
Old Jul 17, 2011, 2:19 pm

Programs: FB Plat & DL KM, Le Club Plat, GHA Plat, HHonors Diamond
Johan, which route was it?
Old Jul 18, 2011, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gajan
Johan, Did it sound like that it is standard practise to offer buy-up to EB? Did she give any more information?
Yes, it did. She did not say anything else except for expressing surprise that it had not shown up when I OLCI'd. But then again, OCLI does not work quite right when I try to check in, so others may well have gotten the offer.

Originally Posted by ajs123
Johan, which route was it?
AMS-CPH

Edited to add that the flight might well be overbooked in Y. EB consists of 2 rows, i.e. 10 seats.

Johan

Last edited by johan rebel; Jul 18, 2011 at 12:54 am
Old Jul 18, 2011, 2:38 am

it's probably a standard fee for ES, just had same offer again ams-muc for 79 euros buy-up.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 5:44 am

Programs: FB-LTPE
Originally Posted by Escape
it's probably a standard fee for ES, just had same offer again ams-muc for 79 euros buy-up.
I got a similar offer for my recent flight for 110 euros - FCO-AMS. It must have to do with distance. Not sure if the flight was overbooked because it was during "messy Thursday."
Old Jul 18, 2011, 6:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, FB Plat
On some of the LHR-AMS flights recently I've had the E79 EB upgrade offer on OLCI. This has nothing to do with the OLCI check-in period as I was offered it at -24 and -7 hours.

I think it must be a system wide option now as it's crazy to think anyone would pay an extra E79 on a 45 minute flight just to get the meal or sit a few rows further up.

I've been op-up'ed a couple of times on this route recently but it is a busy route. They were waiving a cash incentive around last Friday to go later; E150 cash or a E250 flight voucher due to a full flight. Almost tempting.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 7:30 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
The OLCI buy-up intra europe is not always as visible as one would like: While selecting a seat you can select the Business 'cabin' and select a seat for a fee.

The 79 euro is not a set price by the way; it depends on the route. I have seen prices of 129 euro for a buy-up on longer routes as well.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 4:23 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
79 EUR from GVA as well. Offered at OLCI and still available until 2 hours before departure. The flight was originally sold out but there were no-shows.

Interestingly, on the OLCI page I was offered the choices of 79EUR for upselling to ES or 160EUR for extra bagage (I chose neither). Makes me wonder if most people know that the 79EUR upsell gives them an extra piece of bagage allowance and would save them 81EUR...
Old Jul 21, 2011, 4:39 am

Programs: Skyteam elite, One world Emerald
340 euros on the AMS-LAX flight a few days ago. passed on the offer as i already had a EC seat allocated and flight looked pretty empty.

turned out to be a good choice, as the middle seat stayed empty after take-off (no seat shifting) so comfortable flight.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 8:53 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Does anyone know if the actual booking is changed to the new class? I'm asking this as it says you'll earn business class percentage to Flying Blue but what about other frequent flyer programs?

If anyone has recently paid (last 2-3 days) for an upgrade please send me a pm as I could then perhaps access the information.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 9:26 am

Programs: AF PLAT
Here is my story of buy-up:

Last October i saw this option for the first time, for AMS-ICN - 335 EURO, got i for my and my wife. At that time i wasnt even Silver. I had a basic Economy ticket and i already purcahsed the 120X4 EURO Economy Comfort (roundtrip for both of us ) upgrade on the date when i initially got the ticket

I even managed to get 2 seats in the upper deck, was perfect. I got 150% miles for the flight, so i got to Silver

On the way back i tried the same for ICN-AMS, but they asked 1500 euro for the upgrade. Instead, i was keep checking the seatings on klm.com and 2 days before the flight i was able to select seats 1A, 1B with an Economy ticket
Couple of hours later the seats were removed from my reservation, but i chose them again and it worked.

Even more, once i got back i claimed the 480 EURO that i paid for the EC, got them back 2 months later
Old Jul 23, 2011, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by ssilviu
On the way back i tried the same for ICN-AMS, but they asked 1500 euro for the upgrade. Instead, i was keep checking the seatings on klm.com and 2 days before the flight i was able to select seats 1A, 1B with an Economy ticket
Couple of hours later the seats were removed from my reservation, but i chose them again and it worked.
Are you saying that, with an economy ticket, you were able to select, and then sit, in the business cabin, with no further requirement for payment of cash or miles???
Old Jul 23, 2011, 1:00 pm

Programs: AF PLAT
Exactly. Ive read on this forums other users reported it as well - on 747 sometimes they keep business just for upper deck. I got a business seat, but economy service . Very good anyway I have 3 trips to ICN coming up , hope to have same luck in one of them.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 2:35 am
Suspended

Programs: Cathay - Diamond
Originally Posted by johan rebel
No doubt much to the chagrin of the cabin crew, who now have to leave their poor relatives, friends, neighbors etc. to suffer in Y class whilst WBC seats are sold for a pittance to dastardly customers who pay the FAs salaries.

Johan
haha yes you are right I know my friend always ask to me to fly to europe on his flight and he will give me the upgrade

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.