Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Urgent: Lounge access at AMS - inbound C, outbound Y

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2011, 5:17 am
Original Poster

Urgent: Lounge access at AMS - inbound C, outbound Y

I am flying KUL-AMS-BUD tomorrow and was just checking in online. They offered me an upgrade for the KUL-AMS part for €270 which I promptly bought .

Now, I have a 4 hour layover in AMS before my flight to BUD and I think that flight is still in Y. According to the KLM site, (except from baggage) I have the full rights of a Business Class Passenger, i.e Lounge access.

Am I allowed to access the loung in AMS on arrival from a business ticket, even though my departing ticket is Economy (all booked as one trip)? I know that on Star Alliance this is permitted (same day international rule).

Thanks !
Old Jan 8, 2011, 5:27 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Originally Posted by Frequent flyer 101
I am flying KUL-AMS-BUD tomorrow and was just checking in online. They offered me an upgrade for the KUL-AMS part for €270 which I promptly bought .

Now, I have a 4 hour layover in AMS before my flight to BUD and I think that flight is still in Y. According to the KLM site, (except from baggage) I have the full rights of a Business Class Passenger, i.e Lounge access.

Am I allowed to access the loung in AMS on arrival from a business ticket, even though my departing ticket is Economy (all booked as one trip)? I know that on Star Alliance this is permitted (same day international rule).

Thanks !
That is a real bargain! I am guessing your flight must be pretty full (can you ask on board?). Do you happen to have any FB/Skyteam status as well and what was your fare class?

Regarding lounge access, you should be given lounge access based on the fact you are arriving on an international Skyteam flight. Just remember to keep you C boarding pass.

[...] lounge access is given on an international SkyTeam flight arriving at Paris-Charles de Gaulle Terminal 2C, or at Amsterdam-Schiphol airport, Dubai, Glasgow, Houston, Johannesburg and Toronto (in KLM Crown Lounges)
Old Jan 8, 2011, 5:31 am

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M, BA Executive Club, Sofitel Plat, Priority Club, Starwood Preferred Guest

Thanks !
Your trip to BUD will still be in Y as you have bought an upgrade for the KUL-AMS stretch only.
Not a bad price actually, may I ask which fare class you bought your stretch KUL-AMS in?
(I am still trying to figure out if this "random" appearing offer takes into account the actual fare paid or not).

As to the lounge access, AFAIK KLM has an "arrival" rule, allowing J class arriving passengers at AMS to freshen up.
But as you arrive on the non-Schengen side of the airport and then depart from the Schengen part, I am not sure if they will also allow you in the Schengen lounge or only in the non-Schengen one.
Maybe you encounter a nice lounge lady and they won't object.

Please let us know what happened for future reference!

Enjoy your trip in J!
Old Jan 8, 2011, 6:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gajan
lounge access is given on an international SkyTeam flight arriving at Paris-Charles de Gaulle Terminal 2C, or at Amsterdam-Schiphol airport, Dubai, Glasgow, Houston, Johannesburg and Toronto (in KLM Crown Lounges)
Where do you see this on the website? I'd like to print it out in case the lounge dragons are particularly ferocious in the morning.

I'm not sure what fare it is, but it was a super cheap one. I paid about 700-800 euro return inc tax for BUD-AMS-KUL over Xmas/New Year. Checkmytrip shows fare basis: TLSXHU

I have zero status and am not even a frequent flyer with skyteam - my 1st ever longhaul skyteam flight.

My mother travelled this route last year and was offered an upgrade for this flight thought she only remembers paying between 100-200 Euro.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 9:00 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Wow, that's cheap! I thought such cheap upgrades were only offered to Elites.
Why am I never offered such bargains!
Old Jan 8, 2011, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jetfan
I have been told by quite reliable sources that on flights that are not full in the J cabin, the computer randomly offers some of the passengers that check-in online this upgrade facility. Apparently the random item was added to avoid people counting on it and thus deliberately buying a cheaper fare.

If the buyup from a T-class fare is EUR 270 then it's really cheap and the Airline gets some extra cash last minute whilst only have some extra catering expenses. Quite smart I think.
I was SEQ 6 and I know that my Mum checked in bang on 30 hours too. Perhaps this has something to do with it too.

Does anyone have a link to the site where it says arriving J pax get lounge access?
Old Jan 8, 2011, 9:31 am

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M, BA Executive Club, Sofitel Plat, Priority Club, Starwood Preferred Guest
I was SEQ 6 and I know that my Mum checked in bang on 30 hours too. Perhaps this has something to do with it too.

Does anyone have a link to the site where it says arriving J pax get lounge access?
On the KLM site http://www.klm.com/travel/nl_en/prep...ess_policy.htm it only speaks of departing flights unfortunately. Maybe it's an undisclosed benefit.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 10:52 am

Gajan's quote is from the 'lounge meeting' sticky in the general FB forum. No idea what the source from it is. Have looked on the ST, KL and AF website but found nothing.
AF mentions that it is available to
Elite members.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 11:12 am

Here's a link where is stated that elites members have access when arriving: http://www.airfrance.com/US/en/common/guidevoyageur/aeroport/salon_presentation_airfrance.htm . Might be the same for J class. With some cutting and pasting you might make it work!
Old Jan 9, 2011, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As to the lounge access, AFAIK KLM has an "arrival" rule, allowing J class arriving passengers at AMS to freshen up.
But as you arrive on the non-Schengen side of the airport and then depart from the Schengen part, I am not sure if they will also allow you in the Schengen lounge or only in the non-Schengen one.
Back when I still flew KL longhaul, I regularly used all the lounges on arrival, but as a PE they may well have admitted me on the basis of status, not class of travel.

Johan
Old Jan 9, 2011, 2:32 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver

Thanks !

Great you've been offered this. From memory, I've only been offered something similar once flying ORD-AMS. On that occasion, they asked for €270 (or thereabouts) PLUS 20K or 30K of my FB points. I politely declined but couldn't help pointing out that FB Promo Award, Europe 1/2/3 to Dubai, in Business RETURN, is more or less the same. May have been tempted if my precious points were involved.

Am sure I would never be made such an offer with AF - the front would be chock-full of non-revs...

Hope KL/AF do away with their 14 day Business Class "good" fare rule (we seem to have it in the UK at least). The routes I fly tend to be barely 1/4 full in C. It's as if they don't want my money!
Old Jan 9, 2011, 2:42 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)

I have been told by quite reliable sources that on flights that are not full in the J cabin, the computer randomly offers some of the passengers that check-in online this upgrade facility. Apparently the random item was added to avoid people counting on it and thus deliberately buying a cheaper fare.

If the buyup from a T-class fare is EUR 270 then it's really cheap and the Airline gets some extra cash last minute whilst only have some extra catering expenses. Quite smart I think.
€270 is a really good deal, specially as it is one of the longer KLM long haul flights. From my past experiences the flights to/from KUL are normally quite full in WBC.

On the KLM site http://www.klm.com/travel/nl_en/prep...ess_policy.htm it only speaks of departing flights unfortunately. Maybe it's an undisclosed benefit.
I did indeed copy the information from the AF website regarding lounge access.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 11:32 am
Original Poster

The flight was full in WBC. I actually asked @KLM on twitter if I would have access and they replied within about 20 minutes saying they had double checked and I would.

Arrived it AMS and did not go to Schengen lounge, just went to the nearest one I could find (upstairs somewhere). Gave them my Y boarding pass, she entered info into the system and let me in. No questions asked.

So I guess this answers the question.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.