Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The ultimate thread on buy-ups at OLCI

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2013, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
We've had reports in the past of this happening.

It seems this changed last year though. See these posts from page 32 of this current thread [link only works if your settings are the standard 15 posts per page]:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-f...l#post19351970

I'm sure, though, that I read since then that someone got the cash upgrade offer and had the EC fee deducted from the amount. Still searching for that.

EDIT: Someone has (after the date of the apparent rule change) reported twice getting a refund for EC after buying up at OLCI. Someone else has reported having the EC upgrade amount already deducted from the upgrade offer price.

These are posts 789, 790 and 791 of this thread - so they are relatively recent:

Though in an earlier post, kevinflyaway sounds less sure (which hopefully means that the post above occurred later, after his own personal experiences):

My advice - just fill in the refund request form I linked to above. And be sure to come back and tell us the outcome!

Is there any reason why you didn't ask the gate agent to deduct the cost of your economy comfort seat from the upgrade amount? That seems to have been the easiest, and most obvious way, to do this.
Just filled out the online form for the rufund. I'll let you know if they accept it or decline it.

The guy in front of me, who also took advantage of the offer asked the gate agent the same question if it is possible to deduct the cost of the premium economy seat from the update. Her reply was that she can't do it here. He has to pay the normal price and call KLM for a refund. She was working fast but not necessarily very friendly.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 2:52 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
AMS-GOT @ €79, 4 out of 6 EBC seats available.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Henry III
Hmmm - I've had that on occasions, too. Nice touch! (It is, of course, perfectly true ... if you consider the full J price.)
Hmmm . . . indeed!

One can of course look at this in any number of ways, so they will always be able to claim that 80% is correct in one way or another.

The highest return fare I could find after a cursory search was €849. I do not know what my ticket cost (it is a 100% mile earning fare, so it won't have been the cheapest), but let's say €149 to make the mental reckoning easier. Price difference is then €700, i.e. €350 one way. 80% off is €280, which leaves €70. That's is not far off the €79 asking price.

Johan
Old Jul 4, 2013, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Even with the 80% discount, it still seems overpriced!
Old Jul 4, 2013, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Even with the 80% discount, it still seems overpriced!
Guess that depend on how hungry you are. If you are desparate enough, a box lunch + sandwich might be just the thing at that price .

Johan
Old Jul 5, 2013, 1:49 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by johan rebel
If you are desparate enough, a box lunch + sandwich might be just the thing at that price .
If it's a gold-plated, diamond-studded lunch box, maybe...
Old Jul 7, 2013, 2:22 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Yesterday,
DL231
AMS-BOS
fare code/class : Q (Booked as a Delta flight, on delta.com)
offer : €150 + 25,000 SkyMiles for upgrade to BusinessElite

Thought the +25,000 SkyMiles was interesting, just expected a Euro-buy up.

This was not done at OLCI, but at the transfer desk, around 1 hour+ before departure.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 4:07 am

Programs: FB plat, *G, Hilton diamond, Accor plat, Sixt plat
2 days ago:

AMS - LHR
Got offered an upgrade at OLCI for 49 euros, didn't take it.
Got 1F at the gate for free, they even managed to bring 1 extra salad to the plane just before closing the doors. Plane was completely full behind the curtain, 4 rows of EBC with 5 seats taken.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 11:04 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Offered upgrade on 6 July 2013 KL653 AMS-IAD for EUR288 when checking my connection at AMS after arriving from BUD. (Checked in on app, so don't know if was offered at OLCI, too.) Was content with 10J on the A330 and also thinking an op-up might be in the cards, even as a DL PM. On my way to the gate, I checked a kiosk and found I had been upgraded. Glad I saved my money
Old Jul 7, 2013, 11:29 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, BA Bronze, Emirates Skywards Blue
On the 5th I was offered buy-ups at OLCI on both my GLA-AMS and AMS-DXB flights. I didn't take either of them then I was op-upped at the gate on both flights. Nice.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 8:21 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
As reported in this thread numerous times before: CPH-AMS @ €79. 8 out of 8 EBC seats available.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 8:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
This morning,

AMS-BOS (DL231)
fare code/class : T
offer : €350 + 25,000 SkyMiles
Old Jul 14, 2013, 1:59 am

Programs: FB Plat & DL KM, Le Club Plat, GHA Plat, HHonors Diamond
ZRH-AMS 70 euros
"Upgrade to business class and take advantage of an 80% discount"
Old Jul 14, 2013, 8:44 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Originally Posted by baccarat_king
This morning,

AMS-BOS (DL231)
fare code/class : T
offer : €350 + 25,000 SkyMiles
Was that during OLCI that they offered the co-pay with miles or at the lounge/transfer desk?
Old Jul 14, 2013, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by Gajan
Was that during OLCI that they offered the co-pay with miles or at the lounge/transfer desk?
I did do OLCI, but there was no offer (around 20 hours before flight time). Though, as a Delta operated flight, I didn't expect an OLCI offer.

My wife asked at check-in, and they had no details. This offer was at the transfer desk; as she did not have time to stop at the lounge.

Since we are back and forth so often (on all different types of fares), I have asked my wife to start asking every trip about upgrades (and I love checking every time). My expectation is around 20 to 25 trips over the next year; so I anticipate having decent data-points regarding upgrades and the Boston market.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.