Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The ultimate thread on buy-ups at OLCI

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2013, 5:37 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
For such a long flight I would consider that a good deal Plus long-haul the upgrade actually offers something: A better seat, better food, quieter cabin, and so on. For short-haul the benefits are limited to pretty much "guaranteed free seat next to you".

For me ATH-AMS tomorrow: 199. So far over 50% of Y seats are still open, all 8 EB seats still open, and only 1 out of 24 EC have been taken.

However this flight will have many tourists, meaning they probably do not do OLCI. Meaning that the flight might still end up (very) full.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 3:30 am

Programs: KL Platinum, BA Silver
SVO-AMS £95 on Friday Evening.
Didn't take..
Old Jun 24, 2013, 7:43 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
GVA-AMS: 195 CHF (about €159).

Pass (obviously!)
Old Jun 24, 2013, 7:46 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond & 2 Million Miler, Marriott Platinum
OLCI vs Lounge vs Gate Upgrades?

Question about an upcoming flight.... I am flying AMS to ATL a week from Sunday and there are 5 open seats and 4 blocked seats in WBC. Does this translate to having a shot of those seats being available for sale for OLCI. (I have to travel 15 mins each way to/from my hotel to check in at 24 hours out and already have Economy Comfort) Also, I hear talk about Lounge/Gate Upgrades at AMS as well, any insight on how those work for those who have used them.

Thanks
Old Jun 25, 2013, 2:24 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
I am hoping on a lounge upgrade.
Monitoring other flights, it seems KL won't even release upgrade space one day before departure online despite 6 seats open.
Never heard about gate upgrades but am curious as well. For instance when they find out at the gate a connecting PAX will miss the flight and a seat becomes available.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 2:25 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
I am hoping on a lounge upgrade.
Monitoring other flights, it seems KL won't even release upgrade space one day before departure online despite 6 seats open.
Never heard about gate upgrades but am curious as well. For instance when they find out at the gate a connecting PAX will miss the flight and a seat becomes available.
TBH I'd be pretty pissed if I get offered a paid upgrade at OLCI but can't upgrade with miles.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's probably more valuable to use cash than miles.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 2:40 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
TLV-AMS for tomorrow (@OLCI)
$97 (USD)
Old Jul 1, 2013, 6:21 am

Programs: FB Plat & DL KM, Le Club Plat, GHA Plat, HHonors Diamond
AMS-FRA 159 euro
Old Jul 2, 2013, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

CPH-AMS, €79. This time round they added the claim that this price represents an "80% discount".

Johan
Old Jul 2, 2013, 3:58 pm

Programs: FB Platinum for Life; BAEC Gold Guest List; Accor Gold.
Originally Posted by johan rebel
CPH-AMS, €79. This time round they added the claim that this price represents an "80% discount".

Johan
Hmmm - I've had that on occasions, too. Nice touch! (It is, of course, perfectly true ... if you consider the full J price.)

-- H
Old Jul 3, 2013, 3:24 am

ATL-AMS 290€

They made an announcement at the gate that they had 3 WBC steats available for the price. Took one.

But now I try to get the 90€ back i paid for my unused Premium Economy Seat. KLM on twitter already declined my request. Any suggestions?
Old Jul 3, 2013, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Request the refund online.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by andelutz
ATL-AMS 290€

They made an announcement at the gate that they had 3 WBC steats available for the price. Took one.

But now I try to get the 90€ back i paid for my unused Premium Economy Seat. KLM on twitter already declined my request. Any suggestions?
I know DL specifies no refund if upgraded...KL is not specific on this:

3.Refund
3.1 In the event of an Economy Comfort seat is not provided to you, you are entitled to a refund representing the amount paid for the Economy Comfort seat, for that specific part of the journey, only if:
(I) you were rebooked to another flight:
• upon your request, and you have purchased an Economy Comfort seat on the new flight;
• by KLM, for operational reasons or because we cancelled your flight;
• because you missed your connecting flight after an inbound flight on KLM, Delta Air Lines or any other SkyTeam airline and you were not provided with an Economy Comfort seat on the alternative flight;
(II) we changed the aircraft type and there were no Economy Comfort seats available on the alternative aircraft;
(III) we used our right to assign or reassign your Economy Comfort seat either before or after boarding for operational, safety or security reasons.

3.2 You can request a refund by filling in a refund form.

3.3 No refund will be made if you do not meet the above-mentioned criteria.
That said, they're probably using 3.3 as reasoning not to refund the EC fee.

Terms and conditions for Economy Comfort seats
Old Jul 3, 2013, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by rwoman
I know DL specifies no refund if upgraded...KL is not specific on this:
We've had reports in the past of this happening.

It seems this changed last year though. See these posts from page 32 of this current thread [link only works if your settings are the standard 15 posts per page]:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-f...l#post19351970

I'm sure, though, that I read since then that someone got the cash upgrade offer and had the EC fee deducted from the amount. Still searching for that.

EDIT: Someone has (after the date of the apparent rule change) reported twice getting a refund for EC after buying up at OLCI. Someone else has reported having the EC upgrade amount already deducted from the upgrade offer price.

These are posts 789, 790 and 791 of this thread - so they are relatively recent:

Originally Posted by bmohton
Originally Posted by andelutz
Hello, I am going on a AMS-ATL leg and I'm trying to buy-up to WBC. My question is, if I do buy-up, does KLM refund my paid Economy Comfort Seat?

Thank you for your help.
I've bought-up to WBC twice (at OLCI). Both times I requested and got a refund on the EC seat.
Originally Posted by kevinflyaway
You should get it back and the few times I did an upgrade, the amount paid for EC was automatically deducted from the upgrade payment..so no need to ask for money back

Though in an earlier post, kevinflyaway sounds less sure (which hopefully means that the post above occurred later, after his own personal experiences):

Originally Posted by kevinflyaway
Originally Posted by johndoe123
If you buy an OLCI upgrade after having previously purchased economy comfort as an add-on upgrade on klm.com, do you receive a refund on the EC upgrade fee?
I thought they automatically deduct that from the price to upgrade to business. So if you already paid something for EC+ then the price to upgrade to business is that what you see + what you already paid.

My advice - just fill in the refund request form I linked to above. And be sure to come back and tell us the outcome!

Is there any reason why you didn't ask the gate agent to deduct the cost of your economy comfort seat from the upgrade amount? That seems to have been the easiest, and most obvious way, to do this.

Last edited by irishguy28; Jul 3, 2013 at 9:22 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.