Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The ultimate thread on buy-ups at OLCI

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2013, 12:06 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Plat
VIE-AMS Monday evening, at OLCI upgrade offered for 70 Euro per person (flying with my partner, FB Ivory).

As the flight was slightly overbooked, both of us were upgraded to Business. Two rows of business, except for us there was also another couple, which was moved to the front after doors were closed, as their seats in the back were taken by someone else.

As a side-note, I was surprised how low the catering got. The dinner consisted of a small plate with three slices of ham and five pieces of penne. The 'champagne' on offer was Codorníu, the same as served by IB in transatlantic economy. Tea was offered from the Economy. But it was the first time in Business for my partner so she was thrilled by being in row 1 and being given a meal

Last edited by ok986; Aug 20, 2013 at 12:07 am Reason: spelling
Old Aug 20, 2013, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by dcmidnight
Are the paid upgrades typically offered for just one flight or might you be offered the chance to upgrade for your entire trip - at least the same direction?
They can be offered for any flight - which is not to say that they are offered for every flight.

At OLCI, you will only see an offer for your first flight, if any such offer exists. Check at the self-service kiosks when you arrive in AMS to see if they are making any offers for your onward flight.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 6:31 am

Programs: FB Platinum for Life; BAEC Gold Guest List; Accor Gold.
And, sometimes, the upgrade isn't specifically 'offered' but, when you get to the "Seat Selection" stage, you can select a seat in the business class cabin/zone - the upgrade price then shows for the seat.

-- Henry
Old Aug 20, 2013, 3:45 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, SAS Eurobonus Silver, Connect Miles Gold, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Disc.
I flew AMS-MEX yesterday in EC.

Shortly before the doors were closed, the purser came to me with her ipad, greeted me by name and asked if I was interested in spending some of my miles on an upgrade to business. Price was 32.500 miles.

I was in exit row in EC in a day flight and felt no need for an upgrade at that price, so I declined, but 2 of the other passengers in EC gladly accepted and moved up behind the curtain.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Milkman
Shortly before the doors were closed, the purser came to me with her ipad, greeted me by name and asked if I was interested in spending some of my miles on an upgrade to business. Price was 32.500 miles.
May I ask what economy class your ticket was booked in?

KLM published a video about this: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-f...sight-pil.html
Old Aug 20, 2013, 5:29 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, SAS Eurobonus Silver, Connect Miles Gold, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Disc.
Originally Posted by irishguy28
May I ask what economy class your ticket was booked in?

KLM published a video about this: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-f...sight-pil.html
U class. Cheapest Y ticket that generates full mileage.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 2:25 pm

Programs: FB LTPE, hhonors diamond, hertz 5*, Thalysthecard Platinium, A-club Silver, IHG Platinum
IAH-AMS €331 at 24 hour OLCI check-in, from U class. Took the upgrade.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 11:39 pm

on the LAX-AMS route do the upgrades typically sell out right as one can OLCI or is there no rush?
Old Sep 3, 2013, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cool1g
on the LAX-AMS route do the upgrades typically sell out right as one can OLCI or is there no rush?
There may not be any offered. And if you do see an offer, you can be sure that everyone else checking in can see that same offer, too.

You should be prepared in advance, rather than waiting for the offer, then going away for a night and a day to think about it. Know in advance what the maximum you would be prepared to pay would be. If you see an offer that's higher than that, walk away from it.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
AMS-GVA offered for EUR159.

Ignored it of course, I even reckon if it was offered for 1 Euro I wouldn't have taken it. I saw the wrap they were served (I was in 3A on the cityhopper flight), looks like there was no other service apart from a drinks run. And exactly the same seat.

It was one of my poorer flights, and I am sort of beginning to wish they had a BOB offer of late, which would be better than the insult of service that they offer My seat neighbour asked if he could have one of the little bottles of water, and was told there wasn't enough (even though we were at the end of the economy drinks run). So the attendant poured the water into a plastic cup, which proceeded to pee down onto his trousers because there was a hole in the bottom of the cup. Stupid irony. Why in heaven's name can't they cater these flights properly?
Old Sep 3, 2013, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by irishguy28
There may not be any offered. And if you do see an offer, you can be sure that everyone else checking in can see that same offer, too.

You should be prepared in advance, rather than waiting for the offer, then going away for a night and a day to think about it. Know in advance what the maximum you would be prepared to pay would be. If you see an offer that's higher than that, walk away from it.
thanks for the advice. if the upgrade is available at a price i'm okay with i'll buy it as soon as OLCI opens. 11 seats open right now so hopefully i'll get the offer to buy up.

Last edited by cool1g; Sep 3, 2013 at 7:55 pm
Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AMS-MNL tomorrow:

Preferred €30
Extra legroom €70
EC €110
WBC € 740

Johan
Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by johan rebel
AMS-MNL tomorrow:

Preferred €30
Extra legroom €70
EC €110
Are these values discounted from what the normal cost is?
Old Sep 4, 2013, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Don't know for sure, never book them, but aren't the prices fixed, as opposed to the WBC upgrade which fluctuates wildly in price?

Johan
Old Sep 4, 2013, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I thought so - so that's why I was wondering at the significance of these prices being listed here for the first time.

After all, if the paid economy seats aren't selling - why not make "exceptional offers" to try and flog them at OLCI?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.