KLM "Choice & Control"

Old Dec 11, 2012, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
KLM "Choice & Control"

In addition to paying for Economy Comfort/Preferred seats, it appears that Economy passengers will soon have the ability to also choose to buy lounge access, and to pay for "priority services" (SkyPriority available for individual trips for a fee???). They refer to this suite of ancillary options as "Choice & Control".

Old Dec 11, 2012, 2:47 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
In the: AF/KLM investor day presentation there are also other things listed as bidding for upgrades etc.

Worth a read.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 3:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Gajan
In the: AF/KLM investor day presentation there are also other things listed as bidding for upgrades etc.

Worth a read.
I wonder if by "bidding for upgrades" they mean the upgrade offers at checkin.

It's sort of like a reverse auction - the seller makes the offers, reducing them as time goes on if they've not made any/enough sales, with the price determined on the basis of the number of available seats and the likelihood of having to eventually op-up for free.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 8:16 am

Programs: FB LTPE, hhonors diamond, hertz 5*, Thalysthecard Platinium, A-club Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by irishguy28
I wonder if by "bidding for upgrades" they mean the upgrade offers at checkin.

It's sort of like a reverse auction - the seller makes the offers, reducing them as time goes on if they've not made any/enough sales, with the price determined on the basis of the number of available seats and the likelihood of having to eventually op-up for free.
This is of course is also known as a "Dutch" auction
Old Dec 11, 2012, 8:29 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
You have got to be kidding me! They are really becoming a pay-for-every-single-extra-airline!
More and more clogging of lounges, SkyPriority lines etc. all for some extra revenue.
What's the point of Silver now, if you can buy everything separately? Now you have to be at least silver to get lounge access (for a fee).

Devaluation, devaluation.

Last edited by KLflyerRalph; Dec 11, 2012 at 8:36 am
Old Dec 11, 2012, 9:30 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
What's the point of Silver now, if you can buy everything separately? Now you have to be at least silver to get lounge access (for a fee).
At ~€35 per entry I am not sure there are many people willing to pay that for lounge access (unless you have a long lay-over / the lounge has decent food a la LHR).
So my guess there may not be that many takers. You do raise an issue regarding certain lounges operating at maximum capacity though.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
You have got to be kidding me! Devaluation, devaluation.
Exactly!

Let's dilute elite benefits by making them available to anybody willing to pay. Jeez . . .

Johan
Old Feb 15, 2013, 8:07 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
KLM "Choice & Control" (Paid options)

Continuing on from the paid checked luggage, I just received the following email from KLM Greece. There are now so many paid add-ons that they actually gave it a brand name: Choice & Control!

Let's meet with Choice & Control on your
European flights!

Dear Mr. Xandrios,

* More Choice of increasing your own personal comfort.
* More Control to choose your options and enhance your travel experience!

From the start of the summer season on April 2013, you will enjoy the real comfort in your European flights in Economy Class.

As of 22 April 2013, check-in baggage will be a paid option for all passengers travelling in Economy Class for Amsterdam and European flights to customize your journey. Click here to learn more on Choice & Control and on check-in baggage.

New on KLM: Choice & Control

Choice & Control in your flights to European destinations will provide you more comfort and more control in Economy Class.
Not only you can fly with the best offers, but also you can enrich your travel experience with the variety of paid options and products & services designed to increase your personal comfort such as:

Economy Comfort
Baggage
Priority Services
Extra Legroom
Lounge Access
A la Carte
Business Class upgrade

The choice to check in baggage will become part of a range of flight options. It is also possible to expand your booking with options such as access to the KLM Crown Lounge or a seat in Economy Comfort.
I highlighted the interesting parts. We already speculated that lounge access for non-elites may become a paid option, but now it is confirmed to actually be true. Also a-la-carte within Europe seems to actually become available within the next few months.

Last edited by Xandrios; Feb 15, 2013 at 8:21 am
Old Feb 15, 2013, 8:16 am

Programs: FB-LTPE
Yes see http://www.klm.com/travel/nl_en/prep...ess_policy.htm

"Flying Blue Elite members can access the KLM Crown Lounges at Amsterdam Airport Schiphol, and many of our partner airline lounges worldwide. Please note, however, that you need to be travelling on an intercontinental SkyTeam flight on the same day."
Old Feb 15, 2013, 8:20 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Those are the old access rules I believe, where one needs to be an Elite (=FB silver) in order to buy access? It seems that it is now open for anyone, and also for international itineraries.

Programs: FB Plat & DL KM, Le Club Plat, GHA Plat, HHonors Diamond
Most of this was suggested in the AF-KL Investor's day presentation. Slide 101 "KLM medium-haul product investment" states that part of the "Future European Offer: Choice & Control" are going to be EC, Lounge, Priority Services, Preferred Seats, and Possible extras. Now we know that the possible extras include luggage.

Programs: FB-LTPE
They should send out a different email to their Elite members, it is not about more:

* Less Choice of increasing your own personal comfort.
* Less Control to choose your options and decrease your travel experience!

And perhaps add enrollment pages for BA and LH FFers programs
Old Feb 15, 2013, 8:30 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-f...e-control.html
Old Feb 15, 2013, 8:46 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Talking Prices of add-ons Y to equal C?

Economy Comfort - seat at front price status dependent (~€)
Baggage - 15 or 30 €
Priority Services - checkin business desk (25€?) priority luggage tag (25€?) priority security (25€?) boarding (25€?)
Extra Legroom - auction prices on facebook or twitter (~€)
Lounge Access 35€
A la Carte - food and drinks (~€)
Miles earn - 10/25/50/100% (20/50/100/200€?)
Comfort pillow blanket - (10€?)

All extras total = marketed as special Business Class upgrade package
Old Feb 15, 2013, 9:07 am

The link posted by NB00 really had me worried... but the information for FB Gold still talks about International flights, not Intercontinental, so I am slightly reassured (for the time being)

Maybe, just maybe all the negative feedback will have been a wake-up call... but somehow I doubt they'll do a U-turn, and my guess is that we will lose all our frequent flyer benefits over the coming months (being asked to pay for them is the same as losing them!). Absolutely no reason to remain Gold in that case. Absolutely no reason to be loyal.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.