Link to hotel
http://www.cpmanhattantimessquare.com/
https://www.ihg.com/crowneplaza/hotels/us/en/new-york/nycmh/hoteldetail

Experience Thread
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27471119-post205.html

Archive Thread of this hotel
Post prior to January 2011
Print Wikipost

Crowne Plaza Times Square (Master Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:04 pm

Programs: PC Platinum, Hyatt GP Diamond, Club Carlson Gold
Lounge Question

I stayed there a year ago and as a Platinum I was given access to a breakfast room/lounge on the 5th floor (if I am not mistaken). The room was closed after 11.30am. So no coffee or cookies in the afternoon.
Did the regular lounge re-opened? Or am I missing something?

RM
Old Nov 26, 2012, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA 1P, MR PE ++++
Just got back from a two night stay (1 nt Reward, 1 nt Visa Reward) over thanksgiving. Contacted the hotel in advance about combining reservations and upgrade/Breakfast options. Received a reply that they would combine the resv but lounge breakfast is not available for award stays. Tried again at checkin but no luck. They do throw in the wi fi internet/fitness which I told them I didn't need. Room was nice, staff was good. Hotel was full. Times Square was a mad house with the holiday. Had to fight our way through the crowds (people, tour salesmen, homeless fundraisers) to get to the door which was really annoying.

Here are some things we did.

Walked down to Restaraunt Row (46th between 8th and 9th) for some decent food and local beers.

Mary Poppins matinee with the Kids. Half price tickets from the booth. No line at about 12:30 to 1pm before 2 pm matinee

Walked up to the Parade Ballon blowing up -- wished we got there a bit earlier then the 6:30 time we did. Crowded and the balloons were all completed.

Watched the parade at 49th and 6th. Good place two blocks east of hotel. Crowds weren't so bad a beginning which allowed us to get up front. As it got worse we backed down 49th about 20 feet but still had a great view because the building is backed off the 6 Ave with a fountain with the large christmas ornaments. Pictures of ballons/floats had Radio City in background.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:41 am

Programs: NZ *E, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, Amex Platinum, Accor Advantage Plus
Times Square was a mad house with the holiday. Had to fight our way through the crowds (people, tour salesmen, homeless fundraisers) to get to the door which was really annoying.
Situation normal ... doesn't just happen on holidays.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 8:00 pm

We are going to stay at the CP next night. I decided to pay for one night as it would be the same price as combining points+cash.

I contacted the hotel as I had to do 3 bookings and I received a feedback within minutes. They attached a notification and an alert so that we don't have to swap rooms and that we should receive lounge access through out the 5 days stay.

Looking forward to see if it is going to work out or not.

Are you getting free drinks all day at the lounge or only at specific times?
Old Dec 29, 2012, 7:15 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Platinum,SQ, DL, AA, Hyatt
New Year's Eve 2012 at CP Times Square

Has been eyeing this property for sometimes now but the rate is just incredible from $400 a night last month to now $750 a night.

No award nights availble for the longest but long and behold, it was available yesterday so I booked it for 3 nights using Points&Cash (25K + USD70) for a King Bed Traditional Room. Hopefully as an RA, they will upgrade my room and provide access to the Club Lounge.

What are the expectations in terms of New Year's Eve celebration? Anyone has been there during past year's New Year's Eve could share their experiences?

I understand that even if you get the Times Square view room, you will not be able to see the Apple but the hotel is sectioning off an area outside of the hotel for guests to view the Apple drops.

How about any other FTers will be at the property during this period?

Last edited by chrisksc; Dec 29, 2012 at 7:49 am
Old Dec 31, 2012, 9:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
CP TS gave me the biggest let down in my 8 years of IHG stays.

I went on a points stay for a weekend. For the first time since being Platinum, a CP hotel did not give me a club room on a points stay. All over the world, I always saw CP as being head and shoulders above the other brands in the chain when it came to recognising them. However, points stays do not "entitle" you to an upgrade and I was not there to sit in the room staring out of the window so I accepted the room allocated.

Having unpacked, I went to the safe, and saw that it had been stolen. Add that to the missing coffee maker and TV remote did make me wonder about what the housekeeper must do. I went back to reception to ask for these items. I was told that as it was so late in the day (7pm), they could not provide them but would change my room.

This was the point I asked directly for an upgrade - both as a Platinum member, but also as someone who has to repack all of my just unpacked belongings and move rooms wasting an hour of the 48 I had in NYC. The receptionist called the manager who did not even apologise and point blank refused an upgrade. He stated that it was now policy not to upgrade anyone on point stays. I suggested that I was happy with the room allocated, and that all of the issues were of the hotels making, not mine. It all fell on deaf ears - no offer of an upgrade, lounge access, no drink voucher, not even free Wi-Fi; just another standard room.

The hotel was over-priced throughout and the rooms were tired, dirty and old-fashioned. It certainly lives off its location and the staff far from friendly or helpful.

One I will not return to, paying or otherwise.

Thank goodness for Trip Advisor.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 9:57 am

Programs: Who cares... status is a Red Herring.
Originally Posted by chrisksc
Has been eyeing this property for sometimes now but the rate is just incredible from $400 a night last month to now $750 a night.

No award nights availble for the longest but long and behold, it was available yesterday so I booked it for 3 nights using Points&Cash (25K + USD70) for a King Bed Traditional Room. Hopefully as an RA, they will upgrade my room and provide access to the Club Lounge.

What are the expectations in terms of New Year's Eve celebration? Anyone has been there during past year's New Year's Eve could share their experiences?

I understand that even if you get the Times Square view room, you will not be able to see the Apple but the hotel is sectioning off an area outside of the hotel for guests to view the Apple drops.

How about any other FTers will be at the property during this period?
I will also be at the CP for New Years Eve, bout to leave the IC. I hope to get a view of TSq so we can watch from the room. If not... I guess we'll make it to the street. From what I hear they dont upgrade Plats to Concierge floor on points stay, so little luck for me as I'm not an RA.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:07 am

Programs: Who cares... status is a Red Herring.
BTW I've been watching too and two rooms became available this morning at the CP and the IC. Last minute rewards! ymmv
Old Jan 12, 2013, 2:13 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Amb, ALL Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Honors Gold
I will be staying here in February, what's the lounge like? What should I expect? Paid for lounge access, what are your findings of it? (Pictures maybe if possible?) How about afternoon snacks, what are they like? As European going to the US for the first time, I dont know exaclty what to expect.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 7:59 pm

i think the loungw is open for breakfast here. it has views of time square. on the 5th floor. continental breakfast.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 8:16 am

I've been reading most of this thread and it seems as if though most of the objections to this property are with regard to status benefits.

Would people recommend this place solely on its merits as a hotel for a non-status holder?
Old Mar 3, 2013, 8:19 am

Programs: Lots, some no/low status some high status, can't be bothered to list them :-)
Originally Posted by SocialAdept
I've been reading most of this thread and it seems as if though most of the objections to this property are with regard to status benefits.

Would people recommend this place solely on its merits as a hotel for a non-status holder?
IMO it's poor value for money if you're paying cash unless you have found an outstanding cheap rate (which will be unlikely!). You're paying for location and if it's your first time in NYC you might want to stay slap bang in the middle of TS but if you've been before you know it's best avoided and you can get far better value for your money elsewhere
Old Mar 4, 2013, 3:12 pm

Programs: Oneworld, Avios and IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Private Pyle
IMO it's poor value for money if you're paying cash unless you have found an outstanding cheap rate (which will be unlikely!). You're paying for location and if it's your first time in NYC you might want to stay slap bang in the middle of TS but if you've been before you know it's best avoided and you can get far better value for your money elsewhere
I agree with that.

I love the CP Times Square Manhattan but would I pay $500-600 a night cash - absolutely not.

I think they may regret upping the Points to 45,000 too as next time I go to New York I will probably now stay elsewhere and that's a shame
Old Mar 5, 2013, 12:47 am

Well I see some BRG rates that would get it to $200/night. So it's a good hotel status notwithstanding but only at these more reasonable rates.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 1:43 am

Programs: Lots, some no/low status some high status, can't be bothered to list them :-)
Originally Posted by SocialAdept
Well I see some BRG rates that would get it to $200/night. So it's a good hotel status notwithstanding but only at these more reasonable rates.
$200 would be an outstanding rate for that location in that City. There's still nicer places to stay & be so it depends what you want I guess.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.