Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Crowne Plaza Times Square Master Thread (Archive Thread) prior to Dec 2010

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2004, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver

Anyone stayed at this property recently? I'll be taking the wife there next week as part of our honeymoon tour and would apprieciate some advice on good/bad rooms/benefits etc...

I recently became a Platinum (thanks to putting the wedding costs on my PC Visa card), and have had some great room upgrades in Europe as a lowly Gold. Is it worth emailing the hotel directly to let them know that I'm a Platinum and would apprieciate a better room?

Any help/advice would be fantastic

Anthony (long time lurker, finally registered so I can post @:-) )
Old Aug 31, 2004, 8:27 pm
RCC

Originally Posted by Anthony27
Anyone stayed at this property recently? I'll be taking the wife there next week as part of our honeymoon tour and would apprieciate some advice on good/bad rooms/benefits etc...

I recently became a Platinum (thanks to putting the wedding costs on my PC Visa card), and have had some great room upgrades in Europe as a lowly Gold. Is it worth emailing the hotel directly to let them know that I'm a Platinum and would apprieciate a better room?

Any help/advice would be fantastic

Anthony (long time lurker, finally registered so I can post @:-) )
I did not stay there, but stayed at the CP @ the UN location, just a few blocks over. I had my meetings at the location you ask about. The CP @ Time Square was AWEOME looking, service from what I heard from my associates that stayed there said it was great etc....but....given a choice I would stay at the CP @ UN....just my suggestion
Old Sep 1, 2004, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
I guess I get the timeliness award on this one. I checked in about an hour ago. Nice room, nice lobby appearance, cordial checkin staff, handwritten envelope thanking me for my stay (and I am not paying). But it's NYC, the sirens are quite audible even from the 43rd floor. So far, I am very pleased.
Old Apr 17, 2005, 5:14 pm

Programs: FPC Plat, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, PC Plt Amb
Question Any recent stay experiences please?

Has anyone stayed there recently and is willing to share their experience? Thank you!
Old Apr 17, 2005, 5:24 pm

I have stayed there but prefer the CP @ the UN.

the one at Times Square is very big and filled with tourists. the rooms were only OK. there is a club which is open for both breakfast and eveing coaktails.

Again i prefer the UN one. it seems newer and less hectic. one thing you should know is that some of the rooms at the UN are small.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by Arishap
I have stayed there but prefer the CP @ the UN.

the one at Times Square is very big and filled with tourists. the rooms were only OK. there is a club which is open for both breakfast and eveing coaktails.

Again i prefer the UN one. it seems newer and less hectic. one thing you should know is that some of the rooms at the UN are small.
Thanks, Arishap!
Old Apr 18, 2005, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
But it's TIMES SQUARE!

My room was quite nice and loved being close to the action.
Old Apr 19, 2005, 7:54 am

Programs: Prioity Club, BA Executive Club - Back to Silver (Whoa)
I stayed there recently, when I go back to NYC that's the place I'd stay every time!

On the upgrade front, I made my reservation with rewards night and then emailed the hotel wrt an upgrade, I received a prompt reply stating I had been upgraded to the Club floor, room was excellent and the Club floor lounge was just the ticket for a light snack and a drink. I used to go in in the morning and take breakfast back to my room.

I sure would ask for the upgrade prior to checking in.
Old Apr 19, 2005, 8:17 am

Thanks for the tip!
Old Apr 19, 2005, 11:43 pm

Programs: US *Alliance Gold, PC Platinum, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Gold, Avis Preferred Select
Anyone familiar with the Macy's parade route? I'm wondering if it passes directly in front of this hotel. I'm hoping it does as I reserved reward nights for Thanksgiving there. Not bad...25,000 points for a $489 a night room. My points are paying off real well.
Old Apr 21, 2005, 1:30 pm
RCC

Originally Posted by travelforfree
Anyone familiar with the Macy's parade route? I'm wondering if it passes directly in front of this hotel. I'm hoping it does as I reserved reward nights for Thanksgiving there. Not bad...25,000 points for a $489 a night room. My points are paying off real well.
take it that 25,000 points have a value of about $125, so you got a steal, I would say*

from what I understand of the parade route it does NOT go in front of the hotel, but I leave it for someone that knows for sure to tell you. I would call the hotel & ask.

*How did I calculate the value of a point. 25,000 points = 6,250 FF points. Each FF point has a "street value" of $0.02, so do the math.

Ric
Old Apr 22, 2005, 8:39 am

Programs: US *Alliance Gold, PC Platinum, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Gold, Avis Preferred Select
I called the hotel and they confirmed that the parade does pass the hotel. Maybe I should have called before I made reservations anyway.
Old Apr 24, 2005, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by RCC
take it that 25,000 points have a value of about $125, so you got a steal, I would say*

from what I understand of the parade route it does NOT go in front of the hotel, but I leave it for someone that knows for sure to tell you. I would call the hotel & ask.

*How did I calculate the value of a point. 25,000 points = 6,250 FF points. Each FF point has a "street value" of $0.02, so do the math.

Ric

Since conversion between hotel and FF programs is notoriously bad, I would question this as a valid means of ascribing a "value" to PC points. I have always contended that this should be based on the redemption ratio, and in the case of PC points, using the IC rate to 30K for the average IC room which tends to be in the $300 to $400 a night range. An HIX night at 10K generally falls into the $75 to $125 a night range. And at the higher end properties, ICs and CPs, Plats and Ambassadors get the benefit of upgrading to rooms that have even higher rates, which only increases the relative value of their points.

So I'd say a PC point is worth about 10-cents when it comes to redemption, not the airline 2-cents per mile.

In any case we can both agree that travelforfree did get good value for his PC points.
Old Apr 24, 2005, 11:31 am

Programs: HH Silver, SPG Gold, PC Plat, IC Royal Ambassador, UA 1K, Founder www.SeatExpert.com , CO Platinum
Valuating Priority Club points at 10-cents per point is extremely generous, unless one consistently gets the Berchtesgaden Presidential suite . The next best deal is probably the Santiago IC's Presidential suite, and it would only be worth about 5-6 cents per point.

Factoring in Royal Ambassador upgrades on award stays, I would consider each of my PC points to be worth around +/- 1.5 to 2 cents on average.

Originally Posted by Shareholder
... And at the higher end properties, ICs and CPs, Plats and Ambassadors get the benefit of upgrading to rooms that have even higher rates, which only increases the relative value of their points.

So I'd say a PC point is worth about 10-cents when it comes to redemption, not the airline 2-cents per mile...
Old Apr 24, 2005, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by travelforfree
I called the hotel and they confirmed that the parade does pass the hotel. Maybe I should have called before I made reservations anyway.
The hotel is on Broadway, which is the parade route. You will have prime location. If you can get a room on the Broadway side you will have a good view from your room. If you stay on the 5-8th floor (measured from the ground, not sure how this hotel accounts for any mezzanines) you will have an eye to eye view of the balloons. I used to work a block north of there on the 6th floor and the office was a great vantage point for the parade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.