Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IHG Program Update March 2022

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2022, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Still trying to balance whether it is worth going full tilt with bonus points packages. But if the new system is going to come into effect already in April, then it is not worth it. I thought, when they said it would be delayed, that it might be pushed back until later this year. If Platinum is going to be 60,000 points, then it is not worth my effort with the points packages, although they can add up quite quickly.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 5:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Concerto
Still trying to balance whether it is worth going full tilt with bonus points packages. But if the new system is going to come into effect already in April, then it is not worth it. I thought, when they said it would be delayed, that it might be pushed back until later this year. If Platinum is going to be 60,000 points, then it is not worth my effort with the points packages, although they can add up quite quickly.
Does it depend on whether getting Spire now, to convert to Diamond on transition, secures you Diamond status through 2023?
Old Mar 21, 2022, 10:00 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Basically says

"Your *ALL NEW IHG Rewards status is coming in April"

And that my status will be updated in April but no specific date or what my current Spire AMB wil become are given.

I'm assuming an existing spire will become diamond but who knows.

I'm only 1500 points of requalifying for Spire so am tempted to do a matress run to get me over the 55k threshold whcihw ould get me Diamond for next year?

I've not had any of my existing bookings revalued like TheWiseOne seems to have.
Spire Amb member here and I don't have the credit card. Haven't received anything in the past few days. Will report here once I get it.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by serpens
Email just arrived from IHG.
Hah! I had this a month ago:

"As a benefit of your IHG Rewards Club Credit Card, you currently receive Gold Elite status. Beginning in March 2023, you will receive automatic Silver Elite status. With a 20% bonus point earn, you’ll actually double the amount of points you earn today!
"And as a thank you for your loyalty, we are extending our NEW Gold Elite status to you until February 2023."

The only snag is that I'm a Spire and have been for years. I wonder if that line about "you'll actually double the amount of points you earn today" could get them in trouble... as there's no way they'll suddenly double the Spire bonus!
Old Mar 22, 2022, 2:20 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Basically says

"Your *ALL NEW IHG Rewards status is coming in April"

And that my status will be updated in April but no specific date or what my current Spire AMB wil become are given.

I'm assuming an existing spire will become diamond but who knows.

I'm only 1500 points of requalifying for Spire so am tempted to do a matress run to get me over the 55k threshold whcihw ould get me Diamond for next year?

I've not had any of my existing bookings revalued like TheWiseOne seems to have.
I got the same, and I've already requalified for Spire during 2022.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Originally Posted by where2travel
Does it depend on whether getting Spire now, to convert to Diamond on transition, secures you Diamond status through 2023?
No, I'm happy with Platinum. Would be glad to renew just that. I guess there's a good chance they'll throw another offer our way or reduce the thresholds again. Covid is not over and the situation in Europe has not helped.

Just been thinking, I've only thrown about €15 extra at each reservation. 1,000 bonus points packages cost €4.95 and I have bought the 3,000 points package for a couple of reservations. So it's not a huge gamble and will help me on my way if I think I can make it back to Plat. Only thing is, you have to book a best flexible rate to get the points packages, which is anyway probably prudent with the ongoing Corona situation.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 2:17 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Originally Posted by Dingpong
It will vary by region, I spent about 1200 USD to achieve the IHG Spire and earned points worth 500 USD.
It wasn't easy to achieve the IHG Spire because I stayed 13 nights using the 3,000 point package.
A similar cost is required to achieve Marriott Platinum (Double QN) or Accor Platinum (Accor Plus Fast Track).
I wish all these were that easy in the UK!
Old Mar 22, 2022, 9:54 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
I'm combing through IHG's 2021 annual report, and found the following good news: THE APP IS GETTING A FULL REDESIGN AND RELAUNCH!
  • "As we use our IHG® Hotels & Resorts masterbrand to showcase the breadth of our portfolio, we continue to enhance the enterprise that supports it. This includes developing our next-generation mobile app, and preparing thousands of hotels to allow guests to choose specific room characteristics and add stay enhancements when booking with us, and in parallel enable our owners to generate maximum value from their hotel’s unique features."
  • "Other examples include redevelopment of the IHG mobile app ahead of launch in 2022."
  • "To deepen relationships with new and existing members, and drive more repeat business for our owners, we will transform our loyalty offering in 2022. In January 2022, we announced a first phase of new tiers and bonus-point earning structure that will allow our members to earn more points, more quickly than ever before. Later in the year, details of the full programme will commence, including new and enhanced benefits, more experiences and more redemption options, all powered by our new IHG mobile app, which goes live in 2022."
  • "Continued implementation of mobile-enabled improvements including the development and piloting of a next generation IHG mobile app, enabling a richer customer experience which is expected to increase direct bookings and incremental spend during stays."
  • "Further technology enhancements including the pilot of a next generation IHG mobile app and the expansion of digital arrivals, offering guests the ability to socially distance."
I've long found IHG's app - in my experience - to be unreliable [crashes, doesn't properly display details] and disgustingly outdated in its appearance, functionality and usability. It's about time that a cleaner, more modern, more visually-appealing and user-friendly interface gets rolled out that better fits the company and brings them to a closer level of the apps offered by their competitors. I hope to see Apple Wallet functionality return, as well as greater integration of mobile check-in and mobile keys - and maybe even options to select one's own room and customize their stay better. Power to the guest!

I know this is IHG and one's expectations must be tempered, but I hope this is a good relaunch of the program to create a compelling product for the other 95+ percent of us who aren't Spire/Diamond RA ICs.

khabah
Old Mar 23, 2022, 3:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold, Radisson Gold, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by GentleGiant
I wish all these were that easy in the UK!
The IHG one is, ive spent just under £1000 to get spire with 6 nights in London
Old Mar 23, 2022, 3:52 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Originally Posted by antuk
The IHG one is, ive spent just under £1000 to get spire with 6 nights in London
Okay, how?

What am I missing?
Old Mar 23, 2022, 10:47 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by antuk
[...] I compare it to the flex rate as it has the same flexibility as that booking. I don't make non refundable bookings anymore [...]
I agree about non-refundable rates. I was referring to rates that are available from the web site and can be cancelled, such as Senior or AAA. It's when I compare a bonus package rate to these rates that I find the points are too expensive. I haven't done it for a while, but my recollection is that the additional points were in the 8-12¢ range, which I considered too high. But as I said, I don't recall doing this analysis during a promotion.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 12:55 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Can anyone report on recent 'promotion' to Spire? I've been at 65,000 points for a few days now and am seeing that I need "0 more qualifying points" to reach Spire.

TIA.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 1:00 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by IMH
Can anyone report on recent 'promotion' to Spire? I've been at 65,000 points for a few days now and am seeing that I need "0 more qualifying points" to reach Spire.

TIA.
The reduced thresholds from last year were extended to the end of March, so 55k is required.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 1:16 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Thanks. That's how I understand it, too. Which is why I'm wondering if anyone has recent experience of how long IHG takes to process the status change.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 1:25 am

Programs: OWS IHG Diamond + Accor Plat, Scandic Top Level
Originally Posted by IMH
Thanks. That's how I understand it, too. Which is why I'm wondering if anyone has recent experience of how long IHG takes to process the status change.
Mine was instant, as soon as the last qualifying points posted to reach 55K..
IMH likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.