Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

IHG Account Terminated (after registering for several promotion codes)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 24, 2014, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: soitgoes
IHG Account Termination Fact Summary

1) IHG has been terminating accounts due to abuse since approximately 2010 (#244).

2) IHG account terminations happen suddenly and without warning. If your account is terminated, you will not be able to login. You will have to call customer service, who will either reinstate your account and warn you, or refer your case to another office, in which case your account is probably permamently closed.

3) No one except for IHG knows exactly what the trigger for account cancellation is. The reason given is usually excessive use of promo codes. In the past, it was thought that most of the people who got their accounts canceled was due to either selling points or excessive point break bookings, but it appears that mere registration of promo codes now can sometimes trigger a cancellation.

Who has gotten their account terminated?

(If you, or someone you know has got their account terminated, please list your username here, and reference the post you made on this thread).

bgmike (#1)
lcpteck (#5)
DavidAL - father - (#85)
Dolphinyong - friend - (#155)
Bakkie (#180)
Tim O'Brien (#187) reinstated
chongcao - good summary, esp. of events from flyertea forum (#244)
soitgoes (#262) deactivated temporarily; reactivated after phone call
travelismylife - brother inlaw - (#329)

Also, LoyaltyLobby has a number of data points in the comment thread.

FlyerTea (a Chinese site) also has a number of data points.

What do we know about terminations

1) The usual reason IHG gives is non-targeted promo code usage. We don't know which promo codes IHG considers invalid, although IHG told Bakke (#180), that he used a code that was supposed to be for platinum members when he was not.

2) Status does not matter. Gold members, Platinum members, even RAs have all had their account terminated.

3) Credit card does not matter. Some people terminated did not have the IHG Chase card, some did, for more than 3 years (#329).

4) Stay history does not matter. Some people had their accounts terminated before any stay, some had their accounts terminated after one stay that accrued many points, and some had a history of lot of paid stays.

5) Termination usually doesn't cause a loss of booked nights. Apparently, even though your points are gone, any nights reserved stay booked in the system.

6) Some account terminations are caused by calling customer service on incorrectly credited nights. A number of people who had their accounts terminated called in on a stay that posted as non-qualifying, only to have their account cancelled shortly thereafter.

IHG Terms and Conditions downloadable PDF, including:

4. Membership Cancellation. SCH reserves the right to cancel any IHG®Rewards Club membership and revoke any and all unredeemed IHG® Rewards Club points collected by any member for reasons that include, but are not limited to: 1) violation of these Terms and Conditions; 2) misrepresentation of any information or any misuse of this Program; 3) violation of any national, state or local law or regulation in connection with the use of membership privileges; 4) failure to pay for hotel charges; 5) a check to a participating hotel brand that is returned for insufficient funds or is invalid for any reason; 6) commission of fraud or abuse involving any portion of this Program; 7) more than one active account per member; or 8) physical, verbal, or written abuse of hotel or IHG personnel; or 9) action, in any other way, to the detriment of the Program or any of its alliances; all as may be determined by SCH in its sole discretion.
Print Wikipost

IHG Account Terminated (after registering for several promotion codes)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2014, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
This is the flyertalk where post 2 of the thread listing promos states

There is no guarantee that the above mentioned codes are still working and you get the points; so do not blame your fellow flyertalkers and do not even think about calling Priority Club!

If all was ok and above board, why not contact IHG if things dont post?
I don't know, I didn't post that, why should I be responsible for what others post? Personally I think those posts should be removed, but I can't edit what others say. And besides, my example was between two friends and had nothing to do with flyertallk!!!

What happens if I get a promo code in the mail and I share it with my friend? IS he misrepresnting himself? I think a reasonable person would have to answer NO. The e-mail they sent to me didn't say "THIS IS YOUR PERSONAL PROMO CODE DONT SHARE WITH ANYONE", and the registration page doesn't say "ONLY ENTER PROMO CODES THAT HAVE BEEN SENT TO YOU" here.
As I'll say again, I am not disputing whether or not IHG can legally cancel accounts unilaterally. All I am saying that is bad form for IHG to unilaterally cancel accounts without due process for something that can be done (and I believe is done, by most) without intention to commit fraud, and would not be considered fraud in most jurisdictions.

The term eligibility has such a narrow meaning as defined by Ambraciot and IHG - I am doubtful that any reasonable person, if given a promo code posted on a blog could tell you whether they are eligible or not. That shouldn't be the person's job, but IHG's.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 8:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by no2chem
I
The term eligibility has such a narrow meaning as defined by Ambraciot and IHG - I am doubtful that any reasonable person, if given a promo code posted on a blog could tell you whether they are eligible or not. That shouldn't be the person's job, but IHG's.
I find it hard to believe that someone trawling internet looking for promo codes could genuinely believe that they are entitled to use them if they arnt advertised on IHG or been directly provided them,

The thread on FT even implies to me that these codes are not endorsed by IHG with the direction not to contact IHG if things dont work

When I receive cards in the post about promotions, these are on cards specifically addressed to me and do not imply that these are a free-for-all and I am sure that they do not state "please share with your closest 7 milliard friends"
Old Jun 3, 2014, 8:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
I find it hard to believe that someone trawling internet looking for promo codes could genuinely believe that they are entitled to use them if they arnt advertised on IHG or been directly provided them,

The thread on FT even implies to me that these codes are not endorsed by IHG with the direction not to contact IHG if things dont work

When I receive cards in the post about promotions, these are on cards specifically addressed to me and do not imply that these are a free-for-all and I am sure that they do not state "please share with your closest 7 milliard friends"
Many of the blog posts are written as if everyone was entitled to them. I think word-of-mouth between friends is probably fine. People aren't 'trawling' the web for promotion codes, they are either reading blogs they frequent, or googling, and google's first result on my machine yields this page:

http://travel.bart.la/2014/01/03/ihg...-bonus-points/

which doesn't seem to say anything about the promos being targeted; just some disclaimer that sometimes they dont result in any points. I think the casual traveler would enter these codes into their account without a second thought!

I think the FT projection fallacy is at play here: the assumption that everyone thinks like a FTer (or that all FTers think alike). They don't.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 9:08 pm

Then when the person loses their account , their complaint should be with the writer of that site for not warning people about what they are posting
Old Jun 3, 2014, 9:19 pm

Judging by the info given to us it does seem a bit strange why they singled out the OP's account to be audited as it doesn't match my idea of someone who has abused the programme.

I agree that IHG have to some extent encouraged a lot of this type of activity themselves by not taking enough steps to prevent it. However....I also accept that if caught we should be man enough to hold our hands up and say "okay, it's a fair cop" instead of trying to act all innocent.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 9:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ TPPS, EK Gold, IHG RA, Marriott Gold Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, UA Premier Gold, TG Silver
I don't know, I didn't post that, why should I be responsible for what others post? Personally I think those posts should be removed, but I can't edit what others say. And besides, my example was between two friends and had nothing to do with flyertallk!!!

As I'll say again, I am not disputing whether or not IHG can legally cancel accounts unilaterally. All I am saying that is bad form for IHG to unilaterally cancel accounts without due process for something that can be done (and I believe is done, by most) without intention to commit fraud, and would not be considered fraud in most jurisdictions.

How many times do you need you be told you're wrong? You won't even acknowledge the clear reference to this behaviour in the T&C which has kindly been quoted for you. I for one am completely fed up with your incessant repetition of the same nonsense.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 10:04 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I'd be curious to see how many accounts with multiple pending reservations are canceled in this way...
Old Jun 3, 2014, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why is it hard for you to believe? Surely in 12 yr on this forum you noticed tendency to max out promos and benefits and all sorts of unintended price mistakes...

I can see clear violation of t&c when people for example trade miles/upgrades or resell award nights or open multiple accounts however I strongly disagree that use of promotional codes which are completely anonymous and do not come with any sort of "non transferrable" language should trigger account suspension.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by Wan1dap
How many times do you need you be told you're wrong? You won't even acknowledge the clear reference to this behaviour in the T&C which has kindly been quoted for you. I for one am completely fed up with your incessant repetition of the same nonsense.
What? I think only some people think that I'm wrong, clearly there are others who agree with me. I feel that you must at least concede that whether this behavior is fraud/not fraud is at minimum contentious! (are you really telling me that being on FT, you've never registered from a promo which you found here? Which is apparently, by some accounts here, fraud?).

I think you (and some others) continue to read through what I'm saying

1. The T&Cs do not define fraud as 'registering a promo for which you are not targeted'

2. The T&Cs do not define who is eligible for a promotion and who is not

3. I have conceded that the T&Cs allow IHG to interpret anything as fraud, and therefore cancel anyone's account at any time

and I've told you that my beef isn't with the T&Cs, but it's that there is no due process, and IHG cancels accounts arbitrarily, which I've already conceded is completely within their right

Again, if you can tell me where in points 1-3 I'm wrong, or where in the T&Cs it actually says that registering for promotions you may/may not be targeted for is tantamount to fraud, by all means, I welcome you.

But the previous poster has not done this. 'registering for a promotion which you may/may not have been targeted for' is not the same as 'fraud'. As I've said previously, that clause gives IHG a reason to remove you, but it is NOT THE SAME AS THE REASON BEING IN THE T&Cs. But hell, it's IHG's program, so they can do whatever they'd like.

ALL I am saying is that what IHG has done wrong here, is arbitrary account closure with lack of due process. And that is what my argument is about. Hell, even AA, which has been the most zealous program in regards to fraud, has a better due process procedure than this. So if you're going to argue with me, please tell me that IHG account closures aren't arbitrary and they give each member due process. of course they don't. My argument is not that they have to either, just that it leaves a very bad taste in your mouth.

Last edited by no2chem; Jun 3, 2014 at 10:42 pm
Old Jun 3, 2014, 10:49 pm

This is the flyertalk where post 2 of the thread listing promos states

There is no guarantee that the above mentioned codes are still working and you get the points; so do not blame your fellow flyertalkers and do not even think about calling Priority Club!

If all was ok and above board, why not contact IHG if things dont post?
Again, that's what one person posted. Plenty of people call and have no problem. For example, during the big win I'm sure this happend a lot, and in regards to AMB BOGO stays which posted as nonqualifying (read through the threads and you'll find people calling and asking for the points they didn't get because a stay posted as non-qualifying).
Old Jun 3, 2014, 10:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ TPPS, EK Gold, IHG RA, Marriott Gold Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, UA Premier Gold, TG Silver
So if you're going to argue with me, please tell me that IHG account closures aren't arbitrary and they give each member due process. of course they don't. My argument is not that they have to either, just that it leaves a very bad taste in your mouth.
I would be willing to bet that it's not arbitrary - they're just not disclosing the reasons. As you've rightly said about a hundred times, that's OK.

If this whole diatribe was to tell us it's left a bad taste in your mouth, you certainly wasted a lot of keystrokes. I can only assume there's an undisclosed chip on your shoulder, caused by a perceived wrong that IHG or maybe the whole world has done to you.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 10:59 pm

I would be willing to bet that it's not arbitrary - they're just not disclosing the reasons. As you've rightly said about a hundred times, that's OK.

If this whole diatribe was to tell us it's left a bad taste in your mouth, you certainly wasted a lot of keystrokes. I can only assume there's an undisclosed chip on your shoulder, caused by a perceived wrong that IHG or maybe the whole world has done to you.
I didn't say it was OK, I just said that IHG was fully within its rights to do that. But there is clear distinction between what is legal, and what is right. And I think what is right is for IHG to have at least offered some sort of due process. A warning e-mail, at least.

I like IHG. A lot. I really want to stay with IHG. You're free to assume whatever you want, but maybe it's just that I fear that IHG will arbitrarily cancel my account with thousands of dollars worth of points, all over some promos I registered for. It's just sickened me that people were so quick to side with IHG with the first reply (from often1, who I've lost a lot of respect for after he posted some completely wrong information here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22573481-post3.html and now this), claiming that the OP was 'defrauding IHG' over registering a few promos.

The poor OP was asking for help and advice, and half of this thread has been about calling him a fraudster... when I'm certain that many here engage in the same things themselves! Sure, maybe the OP isn't telling the whole truth, but I think we need to give him the benefit of the doubt especially when there have been multiple reports of these account closures. Have you ever registered for a promo you found out about on flyertalk? What are you going to do when IHG just cancels your account? Furthermore, how would you feel if half the thread you started asking for help on reinstating your account was about how you are defrauding IHG?

Last edited by no2chem; Jun 3, 2014 at 11:17 pm
Old Jun 3, 2014, 11:41 pm
Suspended

I didn't say it was OK, I just said that IHG was fully within its rights to do that. But there is clear distinction between what is legal, and what is right. And I think what is right is for IHG to have at least offered some sort of due process. A warning e-mail, at least.

I like IHG. A lot. I really want to stay with IHG. You're free to assume whatever you want, but maybe it's just that I fear that IHG will arbitrarily cancel my account with thousands of dollars worth of points, all over some promos I registered for. It's just sickened me that people were so quick to side with IHG with the first reply (from often1, who I've lost a lot of respect for after he posted some completely wrong information here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22573481-post3.html and now this), claiming that the OP was 'defrauding IHG' over registering a few promos.

The poor OP was asking for help and advice, and half of this thread has been about calling him a fraudster... when I'm certain that many here engage in the same things themselves! Sure, maybe the OP isn't telling the whole truth, but I think we need to give him the benefit of the doubt especially when there have been multiple reports of these account closures. Have you ever registered for a promo you found out about on flyertalk? What are you going to do when IHG just cancels your account? Furthermore, how would you feel if half the thread you started asking for help on reinstating your account was about how you are defrauding IHG?
Well, I concede it would leave a bad taste in my mouth See, it can be said in one short post!
Old Jun 3, 2014, 11:52 pm

Well, I concede it would leave a bad taste in my mouth See, it can be said in one short post!
Meh, brevity works well when you're not arguing
Old Jun 4, 2014, 1:04 am

Programs: DL GM and so on
What about the real fraud? You don't need a password to register somebody for a bunch of promos.

Basically a fired secretary could make her boss' life a living hell.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.