Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

IHG Account Terminated (after registering for several promotion codes)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 24, 2014, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: soitgoes
IHG Account Termination Fact Summary

1) IHG has been terminating accounts due to abuse since approximately 2010 (#244).

2) IHG account terminations happen suddenly and without warning. If your account is terminated, you will not be able to login. You will have to call customer service, who will either reinstate your account and warn you, or refer your case to another office, in which case your account is probably permamently closed.

3) No one except for IHG knows exactly what the trigger for account cancellation is. The reason given is usually excessive use of promo codes. In the past, it was thought that most of the people who got their accounts canceled was due to either selling points or excessive point break bookings, but it appears that mere registration of promo codes now can sometimes trigger a cancellation.

Who has gotten their account terminated?

(If you, or someone you know has got their account terminated, please list your username here, and reference the post you made on this thread).

bgmike (#1)
lcpteck (#5)
DavidAL - father - (#85)
Dolphinyong - friend - (#155)
Bakkie (#180)
Tim O'Brien (#187) reinstated
chongcao - good summary, esp. of events from flyertea forum (#244)
soitgoes (#262) deactivated temporarily; reactivated after phone call
travelismylife - brother inlaw - (#329)

Also, LoyaltyLobby has a number of data points in the comment thread.

FlyerTea (a Chinese site) also has a number of data points.

What do we know about terminations

1) The usual reason IHG gives is non-targeted promo code usage. We don't know which promo codes IHG considers invalid, although IHG told Bakke (#180), that he used a code that was supposed to be for platinum members when he was not.

2) Status does not matter. Gold members, Platinum members, even RAs have all had their account terminated.

3) Credit card does not matter. Some people terminated did not have the IHG Chase card, some did, for more than 3 years (#329).

4) Stay history does not matter. Some people had their accounts terminated before any stay, some had their accounts terminated after one stay that accrued many points, and some had a history of lot of paid stays.

5) Termination usually doesn't cause a loss of booked nights. Apparently, even though your points are gone, any nights reserved stay booked in the system.

6) Some account terminations are caused by calling customer service on incorrectly credited nights. A number of people who had their accounts terminated called in on a stay that posted as non-qualifying, only to have their account cancelled shortly thereafter.

IHG Terms and Conditions downloadable PDF, including:

4. Membership Cancellation. SCH reserves the right to cancel any IHG®Rewards Club membership and revoke any and all unredeemed IHG® Rewards Club points collected by any member for reasons that include, but are not limited to: 1) violation of these Terms and Conditions; 2) misrepresentation of any information or any misuse of this Program; 3) violation of any national, state or local law or regulation in connection with the use of membership privileges; 4) failure to pay for hotel charges; 5) a check to a participating hotel brand that is returned for insufficient funds or is invalid for any reason; 6) commission of fraud or abuse involving any portion of this Program; 7) more than one active account per member; or 8) physical, verbal, or written abuse of hotel or IHG personnel; or 9) action, in any other way, to the detriment of the Program or any of its alliances; all as may be determined by SCH in its sole discretion.
Print Wikipost

IHG Account Terminated (after registering for several promotion codes)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2014, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by metoo
1. yes, but was reinstated after a phone call. told next time, would be closure
2. not sure what you mean, just make spending for 80k bonus points and spend for annual fee
3. yes, had future stays redeemed with points, this was not cancelled even when my account was initially cancelled
For two I meant, do you actively use your card. For instance, I use mine daily and pay it off Evey month to get the points. IHG has to make money off of this.

For 3 I meant did they have stays booked that they would be paying money for, not reward nights. For instance, I have several weeks of future booked paid by credit card (not prepaid) stays scheduled. I'm curious if they would tell you to bug off if you were scheduled to spend money with them.

Thanks for responding.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 7:24 am

Programs: 100m swimming certificate level 5
Originally Posted by Tex0322
For two I meant, do you actively use your card. For instance, I use mine daily and pay it off Evey month to get the points. IHG has to make money off of this.

For 3 I meant did they have stays booked that they would be paying money for, not reward nights. For instance, I have several weeks of future booked paid by credit card (not prepaid) stays scheduled. I'm curious if they would tell you to bug off if you were scheduled to spend money with them.

Thanks for responding.
Maybe who knows because in theory best flex are tentative until checked in.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 10:05 am

Well, for 2 years I saved up points for a big trip next month, so this topic is poorly timed if those free stays are in jeopardy! I used all the codes I could in the last 2 years. Despite the codes I used not intended for me, 3/4 of the points I earned were legitimate, which I think must matter. And I stay 25 nights / year minimum at IHG hotels. Also just paid the $55 annual fee for the credit card, and am platinum.

Would be interested to know for closed accounts:

1. elite status
2. age of account
3. whether they have the IHG credit card
4. number of paid stays for the last 3 years
Old Jun 14, 2014, 10:18 am

Programs: Amex Centurion
Just Curious.
Has anyone ever had their IHG account cancelled for using "the trick"?
That is, making reservations under Points and Cash and then canceling the reservations in order to purchase points at a reduced rate.
This is an example of the IHG system allowing a loophole (that happens to bring IHG cash!) in their IT system.
Do the T&C prohibit this?
Old Jun 14, 2014, 10:43 am

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Re: DaveNoble & Tim O'Brien in the #190s: I must agree with Dave that using 28 "non-transferable" BOGOs at the same hotel is egregious when AFAIK each Ambassador is supposed to get only one per year! OTOH, why did IHG send Tim several BOGOs?
Old Jun 14, 2014, 11:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by short_black
Well, for 2 years I saved up points for a big trip next month, so this topic is poorly timed if those free stays are in jeopardy! I used all the codes I could in the last 2 years. Despite the codes I used not intended for me, 3/4 of the points I earned were legitimate, which I think must matter. And I stay 25 nights / year minimum at IHG hotels. Also just paid the $55 annual fee for the credit card, and am platinum.

Would be interested to know for closed accounts:

1. elite status
2. age of account
3. whether they have the IHG credit card
4. number of paid stays for the last 3 years
The fee went up?
Old Jun 14, 2014, 12:07 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Wan1dap
This all seems completely irrelevant.
Actually, it seems completely relevant if someone wants to pursue the matter by litigating it out in the UK and has standing there. There is an argument to be made that the transactions completed would not have taken place absent the transactions coming with the points duly credited (before account termination) -- no less so when: (a) IHG allowed both the account holder to register for the promos (which produced some/many of the duly credited points); and (b) the stays wouldn't have taken place at the property absent the the expectation of the account being live and the points available for use.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
The fee went up?
No, I guess it's $49 that I paid. Still a deal, just for the 10% stay points refunded and the extra points earned due to plat status. The free night is a bonus on top of that, and I can usually get a $250 value from that fitting into current plans (and not changing plans for an even greater value).
Old Jun 14, 2014, 12:20 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by TravelStar
Just Curious.
That is, making reservations under Points and Cash and then canceling the reservations in order to purchase points at a reduced rate.
This is an example of the IHG system allowing a loophole (that happens to bring IHG cash!) in their IT system.
Yes, account cancellations have been reported for this reason as well.

HTB.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 12:40 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by htb

HTB.
That's strange. I've looked back fairly deep into FT and never found anyone reporting that happened in actuality. Only speculation that it could happen.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Tex0322

Thanks for responding.
2. Nope. never used the card except to meet min spending of 1k and the first $49 annual fee. When it changed over to MC, applied, approved, met min spending , received 80k and tucked it away.
3. No paid stays except for one in February 2013 in Asia which I was accused of using promo codes and receiving points for ( I probably used it but can't remember ). No future paid stays
Old Jun 14, 2014, 2:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by htb

HTB.

That's strange. I've looked back fairly deep into FT and never found anyone reporting that happened in actuality. Only speculation that it could happen.
I haven't seen anyone reported it recently, but I remembered a while ago when the price was still $60, someone mentioned he has his account closed by IHG after repeating the method again and again at random IHG hotels, so he was warning people to be sensible of how they do it.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 2:30 pm

Programs: IC RA
Just Curious.
That is, making reservations under Points and Cash and then cancelling the reservations in order to purchase points at a reduced rate.
Just curious, if IHG does close accounts for this could this also be fraud for allowing a person to use this system and then in their opinion and their only they close the account and I take it you do not get a refund of the points purchased. So you could end up $70 out of pocket for every 10,000 points purchased and have nothing to show for it.

Nothing in the T&C's to say you can't do it other than the rather ambiguous 'we can do what we want'.

This does not sound right, as you would be losing hard cash, just glad I gave up on IHG some time ago.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Originally Posted by metoo
1. yes, but was reinstated after a phone call. told next time, would be closure
2. not sure what you mean, just make spending for 80k bonus points and spend for annual fee
3. yes, had future stays redeemed with points, this was not cancelled even when my account was initially cancelled
Hm,

Well, I guess you are one PLT member that got their account canceled. I guess maybe when you become unprofitable IHG just looks at your account and gives a random reason to terminate you based on your account history.

Perhaps they reinstated your account because you were PLT. Did they let you keep the points/stays?
Old Jun 14, 2014, 5:31 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by htb

HTB.
I tend to always play safe, I'll often book p+c 10k for 70usd just to keep my balance above 250k, if purchasing on award nights of 20k and up. I don't have an issue paying 70usd for points each time I book an award night at a 40k-50k European IC, but typically I only use points when award redemption paid/points ratio at least equals the p+c purchase ratio.

I thus should never need to cancel p+c like some IHGers evidently do, as I don't let my balance drop too low in the first place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.