Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

IHG Account Terminated (after registering for several promotion codes)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 24, 2014, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: soitgoes
IHG Account Termination Fact Summary

1) IHG has been terminating accounts due to abuse since approximately 2010 (#244).

2) IHG account terminations happen suddenly and without warning. If your account is terminated, you will not be able to login. You will have to call customer service, who will either reinstate your account and warn you, or refer your case to another office, in which case your account is probably permamently closed.

3) No one except for IHG knows exactly what the trigger for account cancellation is. The reason given is usually excessive use of promo codes. In the past, it was thought that most of the people who got their accounts canceled was due to either selling points or excessive point break bookings, but it appears that mere registration of promo codes now can sometimes trigger a cancellation.

Who has gotten their account terminated?

(If you, or someone you know has got their account terminated, please list your username here, and reference the post you made on this thread).

bgmike (#1)
lcpteck (#5)
DavidAL - father - (#85)
Dolphinyong - friend - (#155)
Bakkie (#180)
Tim O'Brien (#187) reinstated
chongcao - good summary, esp. of events from flyertea forum (#244)
soitgoes (#262) deactivated temporarily; reactivated after phone call
travelismylife - brother inlaw - (#329)

Also, LoyaltyLobby has a number of data points in the comment thread.

FlyerTea (a Chinese site) also has a number of data points.

What do we know about terminations

1) The usual reason IHG gives is non-targeted promo code usage. We don't know which promo codes IHG considers invalid, although IHG told Bakke (#180), that he used a code that was supposed to be for platinum members when he was not.

2) Status does not matter. Gold members, Platinum members, even RAs have all had their account terminated.

3) Credit card does not matter. Some people terminated did not have the IHG Chase card, some did, for more than 3 years (#329).

4) Stay history does not matter. Some people had their accounts terminated before any stay, some had their accounts terminated after one stay that accrued many points, and some had a history of lot of paid stays.

5) Termination usually doesn't cause a loss of booked nights. Apparently, even though your points are gone, any nights reserved stay booked in the system.

6) Some account terminations are caused by calling customer service on incorrectly credited nights. A number of people who had their accounts terminated called in on a stay that posted as non-qualifying, only to have their account cancelled shortly thereafter.

IHG Terms and Conditions downloadable PDF, including:

4. Membership Cancellation. SCH reserves the right to cancel any IHG®Rewards Club membership and revoke any and all unredeemed IHG® Rewards Club points collected by any member for reasons that include, but are not limited to: 1) violation of these Terms and Conditions; 2) misrepresentation of any information or any misuse of this Program; 3) violation of any national, state or local law or regulation in connection with the use of membership privileges; 4) failure to pay for hotel charges; 5) a check to a participating hotel brand that is returned for insufficient funds or is invalid for any reason; 6) commission of fraud or abuse involving any portion of this Program; 7) more than one active account per member; or 8) physical, verbal, or written abuse of hotel or IHG personnel; or 9) action, in any other way, to the detriment of the Program or any of its alliances; all as may be determined by SCH in its sole discretion.
Print Wikipost

IHG Account Terminated (after registering for several promotion codes)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2014, 10:20 am

Programs: IHG Spire, Club Carlson & Hilton HHonors Gold, Sixt Platinum
Just a question here: is there anyone who had his account cancelled while having a reservation with them any time in the future?
Old Jun 13, 2014, 10:23 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by mitpat474
I think it was BOGO use , like a LOT of them weekly kind of scenario
...proposed by an employee of the hotel where the person was staying (long term stay). IHG didn't like it and went after the customer.

HTB.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 11:55 am

Programs: 100m swimming certificate level 5
Originally Posted by htb
...proposed by an employee of the hotel where the person was staying (long term stay). IHG didn't like it and went after the customer.

HTB.
Yes thats right, I don't agree or disagree about the outcome
Old Jun 13, 2014, 4:04 pm

Programs: SPG Plat,MR Plat Spire Plat/IC Amb, Choice Plat, BW Plat
Well...that's one way to shrink Gold/Plat/RA membership

None in my circles affected but Baiting customers with often intentionally & loosely regulated revenue driving promotions then blaming customers for participating doesn't pass the sniff test.

Wonder if cancelling reservations last minute all-at-once as a protest is worth it? I don't know if it matters but I'm tired of people getting bullied by Un-Loyalty Programs.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Originally Posted by Points Surfer

None in my circles affected but Baiting customers with often intentionally & loosely regulated revenue driving promotions then blaming customers for participating doesn't pass the sniff test.

Wonder if cancelling reservations last minute all-at-once as a protest is worth it? I don't know if it matters but I'm tired of people getting bullied by Un-Loyalty Programs.
Meh, I don't think that's going to do much. I doubt you're going to get enough people that it'll make a difference to IHG.

Originally Posted by Bakkie
the fact that I had entered a code targeted only to Platinum members, and I since I was no longer a Platinum member this was fraudulent
Thanks! That's a interesting piece of information. Maybe what all these people had in common was that they're not platinum and used the platinum promo code. In the US, a lot of people have the CC which gives instant plat, but in China this isn't the case (you have to get $$$ cc to get plat there). And I guess some AMB might not be plat.

Did you book those points for a vacation? Maybe it's worth taking a look at the legal avenues available. 250k points is worth a significant amount of $. Although I would suggest (too late for you now, and maybe it wouldn't have made a difference) that if you end up talking to Mr.Fox at IHG, that you just be apologetic and beg. It seems that someone people got their accounts back by saying that they're sorry and it won't happen again.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 5:47 pm
In Memoriam

I do find it just laughable that IHG with an IT System worse than Days Inn has the balls to do this.

I understand the folks here (and I am guilty as well) have loaded the system with codes (I have probably done more than twenty in the last year) and they felt "enough was enough" but they could have sent warning letters and achieved the same result.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 5:55 pm

Programs: IHG, RC, HH, AA, QF, UA, Aeroplan
Originally Posted by beachmouse
There was a RA in the comments of the Loyalty Lobby blog that said he'd lost his account, IIRC.
didn't lose account, but had RA revoked after 400 plus suite nights (USD 70K plus expenditure) including for an employee, for utilising one BOGO per week for long term stays that were up to seven months, the point being how cld the customer do that without the hotel accepting it, the hotel is the face of IHG, it's employees, i find it difficult how you could find the customer guilty of that infraction given the authority, the inbalance in the relationship is well in favor of the hotel, if they chose to process a BOGO weekly. How cld they justify losing that customer? surely the customer couldn't force the hotel to process weekly, it was clearly the hotel's call, without doubt poor decision for IHG losing that customer.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Did any of the terminated accounts belong to US-based members?

Originally Posted by foxberg
500K points worth of nights is nothing. It's just 10 nights at most IC.
I make my reward reservations 4 months in advance, so 500k points would become 16 nights at a favorite 30k/night property, which usually has rates of $250/night. 16 nights at $250 each night works out to $4000..... which is a bit more than "nothing".
Old Jun 13, 2014, 9:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Tim O'Brien
didn't lose account, but had RA revoked after 400 plus suite nights (USD 70K plus expenditure) including for an employee, for utilising one BOGO per week for long term stays that were up to seven months, the point being how cld the customer do that without the hotel accepting it, the hotel is the face of IHG, it's employees, i find it difficult how you could find the customer guilty of that infraction given the authority, the inbalance in the relationship is well in favor of the hotel, if they chose to process a BOGO weekly. How cld they justify losing that customer? surely the customer couldn't force the hotel to process weekly, it was clearly the hotel's call, without doubt poor decision for IHG losing that customer.
You are blaming the hotel for your booking 28 Weekend Free nights from the 1 that you had been awarded? Did the Hotel staff make the 28 free night bookings or did you?
Old Jun 13, 2014, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
You are blaming the hotel for your booking 28 Weekend Free nights from the 1 that you had been awarded? Did the Hotel staff make the 28 free night bookings or did you?
it wasn't one, the hotel was handed one BOGO for each week as per their offer that was accepted, my point is,they are the authority, one cannot force them to accept the BOGO, clearly they wanted to, and they are the company, IHG.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 10:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Tim O'Brien
it wasn't one, the hotel was handed one BOGO for each week as per their offer that was accepted, my point is,they are the authority, one cannot force them to accept the BOGO, clearly they wanted to, and they are the company, IHG.
You had 28 years worth of Weekend Vouchers accumulated and not expired? ( Certificates are valid only for the member who has InterContinental Ambassador status, and are not transferable - see http://www.ihg.com/intercontinental/...rms-conditions )

Assuming you booked in accordance with the use of the scheme, of course the hotel will accept them. It is not for the hotel to decide whether the terms of the Ambassador scheme were being adhered to
Old Jun 13, 2014, 10:11 pm

There are several things that I am very curious to find more information about.

1.)Have any of the cancelled accounts here been from US based accounts?

2.)Have any of the cancelled accounts been active users of a Chase IHG card?

3.)Did anyone have future paid stays booked when they were cancelled?
Old Jun 13, 2014, 10:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ TPPS, EK Gold, IHG RA, Marriott Gold Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, UA Premier Gold, TG Silver
Originally Posted by Points Surfer

I don't think I've read of anyone having their account cancelled for staying within the T&C (but I stand to be corrected). If one breaks the T&C, which one accepted at sign-up, it's a fair cop. Regardless of the so-called IT issues, codes available through blogs, FT etc, one knowingly makes a choice to load them. Stop the victim mentality and take responsibility.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by Wan1dap
I don't think I've read of anyone having their account cancelled for staying within the T&C (but I stand to be corrected). If one breaks the T&C, which one accepted at sign-up, it's a fair cop. Regardless of the so-called IT issues, codes available through blogs, FT etc, one knowingly makes a choice to load them. Stop the victim mentality and take responsibility.
I think the point of many is that the T&C are not very specific.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
You had 28 years worth of Weekend Vouchers accumulated and not expired? ( Certificates are valid only for the member who has InterContinental Ambassador status, and are not transferable - see http://www.ihg.com/intercontinental/...rms-conditions )

Assuming you booked in accordance with the use of the scheme, of course the hotel will accept them. It is not for the hotel to decide whether the terms of the Ambassador scheme were being adhered to
yes, they can be gifted, the number has nothing to do with it, the issue is IHG, the company proposed it, and accepted them, their agent, their employee, i accepted their offer, there you have a contract in common law, IHG the business is in the authority. Nor were the stays booked on the BOGO rate, another decision of IHG, not the customer's call.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.