FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - IHG Account Terminated (after registering for several promotion codes)
Old Jun 13, 2014, 9:42 am
Bakkie

I am one more victim to add to the statistics. Brief details:

Last month I registered promo codes posted here and on PriorityClub Insider and a travel blog (can't remember which).

My next stay the bonus points were credited, but then all my accumulated points were confiscated (~250k).

Multiple calls to CS and long waits on hold revealed that my account was closed due to fraud - using a non-targeted promo code.

I finally asked to talk to senior manager and they took my mobile# and email and promised me a response. No response in a week.

I was a Platinum member for a few years but I have only stayed at IHG hotels a few times in the past two years. I was saving my remaining points for a long overdue family vacation. I am upset and offended to be accused of committing fraud. I consider myself an honest person.

I will continue to contact CS and ask politely for my original points to be reinstated.

Last year I stayed at hotels for over 140 nights. Unfortunately few IHG hotels were in my work areas, so my IHG nights were few. I try to stay at IHG when I can. Some years I work near my favourite IHG (staff know me and are really nice), and my nights accumulate. It is IHG's interest to keep me as a customer.

Thank you to all that have posted their insights and experiences here. It has been somewhat comforting to know that I am not alone.

UPDATE: I called CS and was finally forwarded to the Executive Office voicemail, where I left a message. After a few hours with no reply I called CS again, and was then forwarded to Kent Fox. He kindly spent several minutes with me reviewing my case. He reiterated that my account was closed due to fraudulent activities - using a non-targeted promo code. I explained that the codes were freely available on forums such as these and that the general consensus is that entering them into the IHG system was not fraud. He would not discuss the forums or blogs that post codes. He repeated that some codes I entered were fraudulent and that the account was terminated permanently. From my file he used as an example the fact that I had entered a code targeted only to Platinum members, and I since I was no longer a Platinum member this was fraudulent. I explained that I felt that I had been treated unfairly and would like to discuss this with someone who was not as restricted in their abilities. He told me that all requests would end up at his office and there was no way to reactivate the account.
I am very disappointed with IHG and will no longer be staying at their hotels.

Last edited by Bakkie; Jun 13, 2014 at 3:11 pm Reason: More discussions with CS