FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - IHG Account Terminated (after registering for several promotion codes)
Old Jun 15, 2014, 11:52 pm
soitgoes
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Time to weigh in

Fact:
1) Stackable promotion codes have been a staple of PCR/IHG for years.
2) Blog, friend, and other sources were options until the recent website redesign for promo registration (now this information isn't solicited)
3) IHG execs have acknowledged the promo stacking
4) These promo codes are posted on IHG's own forums as well as FT where IHG has an official presence.
5) Some promo codes do have built in restrictions as to what accounts they will be accepted on.

My situation:
I had a recent stay. It posted as non qualifying despite being best flex. I called in, had it adjusted, got a number of bonus points post as a result of promos. One week later, I could not log-in to my account. I called a couple of days later, and without any pushing or escalation on my part, was told my account had been frozen but was now active again. I was told the freeze was a result of registration for targeted promos for which I was not targeted. I was told to register only for promotions I receive via e-mail.

My analysis:
There may have been an uptick in usage of stacking or people creating one-off accounts just to use to sell PB nights or something or perhaps simply a change in management of the auditing department. It seems something has, however, changed.

My future action:
Move stays away from IHG unless compelling reason to use IHG exists. Frankly, IHG's strength has been in its point accumulation, not benefits or great hotels. Also, I don't like the unpredictable changes in IHG's actions.