Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Big Win returns - Spring 2014

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2014, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
My advance purchase stays have all qualified so far.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by hearna
Do multiple rooms on the same reservation count?

Ie, I have a booking of 4 rooms x 2 nights; would this count as 8 room nights, 8 nights towards my 28 required for the big win?
Very doubtful, only the room you stay in will count as qualifying. The rest should show (I think) as overlapping or non-qualifying.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 8:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Originally Posted by FlyingFloosie
In January I booked two separate reservations via ihg.com for stays at the Tel Aviv David Intercontinental Hotel. One was an award night and the other was an advanced purchase. For Big Win purposes, I am told that my advanced purchase is a "non-qualifying" stay. I can understand why an award night would not count. But shouldn't an advanced purchase booked through their website count? Is this a system-wide issue or one with this particular hotel? So far I am not off to a good start with their promotion.
I have always gotten all credit for AP rates
Old Feb 11, 2014, 8:16 am

Programs: LX M&M FTL, Aegean Gold, Mabuhay Miles Platinum
One of my challenges is called
Change your view -- Stay at 3 Holiday Inn® hotels and earn 5,600 points
The T&C read:
Must be an IHG® Rewards Club member and must register member number in advance to participate in this promotion. Number of bonus points or bonus miles listed above will be awarded after required number of qualifying room nights have been consumed by the member between January 1, 2014 and April 30, 2014 (both dates inclusive) at Holiday Inn® hotels worldwide. A stay is defined as one night or consecutive nights at the same hotel, regardless of frequency of check-in/out. A stay constitutes a “qualifying stay” when paying qualifying rates, which include most business and leisure rates.
Nowhere it is mentioned that these stays need to be in three different holiday inn hotels; can someone confirm (or deny) already that staying multiple times at the same holiday inn counts towards this promotion?
Old Feb 11, 2014, 8:23 am
Suspended

You are 100% correct. Nowhere in the terms does it state that it has to be different properties.

However terms aren't an issue for IHG. They are going to play the way they want, despite the actual terms. From multiple reports here in FT, the stays have to be in different HI's, or HIE's.

Of course, it would be nice to have someone confirm that they stayed in the same property multiple times, and it did NOT count. That way we know for sure. I'd fight IHG on this point (multiple stays not counting), but don't think it will pan out. I am not going to complete my big win because of this.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 8:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK*Elite+, EBD, FBG, EKS, IHG Royal Ambassador
One only has to think a little bit here. Let's say I was talking to you and I said, I stayed at three Holiday Inn hotels. Would you EVER think I meant: "Oh, you stayed at the same Holiday Inn three times"? I mean, Holiday in Hotels is the subject in the sentence. When would you ever count the same subject three times?

If they wanted to count stays, they would've said, 3 stays. Sure, you can read this literally and claim it is not mentioned, but all of us here know that when a hotel means stays, they say stays.

Last edited by johhenrik; Feb 11, 2014 at 9:56 am
Old Feb 11, 2014, 9:51 am

I just noticed that my "spend it to get it" requirement has a discrepancy. On the main "Big Win" page, "Spend it to get it" is for 2,300 points, but when I actually click on the diagram for more details, it says-- "Book and pay for 1 stay with your IHG® Rewards Club credit card and receive 1,500 points."

Has anybody else noticed this?
Old Feb 11, 2014, 9:57 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by MXM135
Just got off the phone with IHG Rewards Customer Service Centre in the Philippines regarding the BIG WIN's 'Book with IHG' challenge not working. This was a follow-up call.

They acknowledged that the stays are not posting but could not state when the problem would be resolved. They stated that they were 'working on it'. It was a frustrating conversation.
Well, you got more info than I did. I sent a secure message about the problem and got this boiler-plate reply:
"We would like to inform you that bonus points earned from The Big Win offer will be posted six weeks after completing the challenge. We hope this clarifies your query."

I'm not going to go out of my way to complete the Big Win if I can't get this last one anyway.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 1:08 pm

Programs: Too many...
Originally Posted by BillyBaloney
Of course, it would be nice to have someone confirm that they stayed in the same property multiple times, and it did NOT count. That way we know for sure. I'd fight IHG on this point (multiple stays not counting), but don't think it will pan out. I am not going to complete my big win because of this.
Consider it confirmed... Stayed two separate nights in the same HI a week apart and it only counted as one of my three "change your view" HI's.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by herriebo
One of my challenges is called

The T&C read:

Nowhere it is mentioned that these stays need to be in three different holiday inn hotels; can someone confirm (or deny) already that staying multiple times at the same holiday inn counts towards this promotion?
I can confirm that staying the the same property multiple times will NOT count for the promotion, but staying at DIFFERENT properties WILL.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 2:54 pm

I went to 7 states on my last trip to the US - they were Connecticut
Old Feb 11, 2014, 3:44 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK*Elite+, EBD, FBG, EKS, IHG Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by 3544quebec
I went to 7 states on my last trip to the US - they were Connecticut
Sorry, it is now confirmed that it doesn't count
Old Feb 11, 2014, 5:16 pm
Used to be ' simz '

Programs: Does it matter..??? It doesn't matter to them
I read through the last 4 pages and couldn't find a similar query, so asking here now..

One of my challenges is Book with IHG.. "Book 2 separate stays through an IHG® hotel website or mobile device to get our Best Price Guarantee and earn 2,000 points"

This will also complete my big win for 10000 points.. now I am wondering, I couldn't find in the terms and conditions that i have to actually use my booking and stay in the room.. what if I make a booking and then cancel it.. will it still count ?? I know it's not in the essence of the promotion, but still.. I stay ample nights in IHG and give them plenty of business, so I guess I can try and bend around one of their promotions, if it's a possibility..

anyone did something similar and got the big win ??
Old Feb 11, 2014, 7:15 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Flyfromscratch
I read through the last 4 pages and couldn't find a similar query, so asking here now..

One of my challenges is Book with IHG.. "Book 2 separate stays through an IHG® hotel website or mobile device to get our Best Price Guarantee and earn 2,000 points"

This will also complete my big win for 10000 points.. now I am wondering, I couldn't find in the terms and conditions that i have to actually use my booking and stay in the room.. what if I make a booking and then cancel it.. will it still count ?? I know it's not in the essence of the promotion, but still.. I stay ample nights in IHG and give them plenty of business, so I guess I can try and bend around one of their promotions, if it's a possibility..

You are joking, right? You have to have a completed stay. You must have a qualifying rate PAID to complete and get the points.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 7:19 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Flyfromscratch

Nothing is ever that simple and IHG will not allow you to game the promotion quite so easiily, I am sure you knew that so why ask?

Only Qualifying Paid nights count towards BigWin promotion, and you don't get a qualifying night unless you physically turn up at reception desk and checkin for your stay.

Of course having checke in, there is no requirement to actually stay the night(s) thjat make up the resrrvation you just checked in for.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.