Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Big Win returns - Spring 2014

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2014, 9:24 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by Flyfromscratch
I read through the last 4 pages and couldn't find a similar query, so asking here now..

One of my challenges is Book with IHG.. "Book 2 separate stays through an IHG® hotel website or mobile device to get our Best Price Guarantee and earn 2,000 points"

This will also complete my big win for 10000 points.. now I am wondering, I couldn't find in the terms and conditions that i have to actually use my booking and stay in the room.. what if I make a booking and then cancel it.. will it still count ?? I know it's not in the essence of the promotion, but still.. I stay ample nights in IHG and give them plenty of business, so I guess I can try and bend around one of their promotions, if it's a possibility..

anyone did something similar and got the big win ??
Your Big Win is only 10,000? Mine is 41,000

All in all I only need to pay for 5 nights to get all the bonus. After promo codes will be over 100,000 points. I'm ok with this!

Just to be clear and I think I know the answer: some of these overlap, right? So staying at 1 Holiday Inn to complete the 3 separate Holiday Inn requirement will also count towards 1 of my "stay 5 nights" task, correct? I hope so. It seems really simple
Old Feb 11, 2014, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Yes, you can have a stay count towards more than one requirement at the same time.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 10:28 pm

Programs: IHG, AA, Delta, UA, Budget, etc
Hello Flyertalk. Long time lurker for years, first time poster.

My Big Win (97,800 possible) looks like this:

Stay more and earn (10,400) (stay 10 nights)
Explore our brands (19,200) (stay 4 different IHG brands)
Book with IHG (3,200) (book 2 separate stays via IHG website or mobile)
Win in a weekend (8,000) (stay 2 Saturday nights)
Change your view (8,000) (stay 2 Holiday Inns)
Win big (49,000) (complete the above 5)

I've already got SMAE and WIAW done. I'm going to complete the rest of them by the end of this month, which will also qualify me for Platinum via the "Fast Track" of 40 nights and 4 qualifying brands.

A few questions:

Why does it take 4-6 weeks for IHG to credit points? Is this just for some IHG internal benefit of some kind? It can't possibly take that long to actually process.

Once I meet the requirements for Platinum at the end of this month, will I need to wait 4-6 weeks before I have Platinum status? What if I stay at another IHG property in the meantime? Will I not be treated as having Platinum status until the 4-6 weeks has elapsed?

It looks like a lot of people take advantage of the stackable promo codes. I'm interested in doing this, but paranoid that IHG will disallow them later or somehow penalize me for using them. Am I being overly paranoid? I don't want to earn Platinum and then have it taken away because I used a code that wasn't sent to me. Planning on booking a room tomorrow so this is on my mind.

I've only been an occasional traveler until last year, but now I'm traveling quite a bit. Looking forward to learning from the more experienced folks on FlyerTalk and making better decisions based on all the information available here. I've got a bunch of airline miles over a bunch of various programs, next up is figuring out what to do about that. Thanks!
Old Feb 12, 2014, 12:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK*Elite+, EBD, FBG, EKS, IHG Royal Ambassador
It's only Big Win which might take a long time. Mine hasn't, but all you have to do is wait and then contact them if need be.

Regarding promos, I don't think anyone has been penalized for using them. There are rumors, but a lot of people here have used them all and Ive never seen any proof from anyone that they were penalized due to using a promo code they weren't targeted for.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 2:43 am

Programs: LX M&M FTL, Aegean Gold, Mabuhay Miles Platinum
Originally Posted by johhenrik
It's only Big Win which might take a long time. Mine hasn't, but all you have to do is wait and then contact them if need be.

Regarding promos, I don't think anyone has been penalized for using them. There are rumors, but a lot of people here have used them all and Ive never seen any proof from anyone that they were penalized due to using a promo code they weren't targeted for.
I can confirm this from own experience. During last year's big win promo I also enrolled my wife in the program, registered her for every promo I could find, and booked some nights in her name. Including the big win promo she ended up with 90,000 points in her account for 4 nights of staying, as well as a gold card, which was one of the promo codes. Looks like you can skip on the gold card code however
Old Feb 12, 2014, 4:56 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
My hardest bit will be 6 nights.

Got a Saturday night in Berlin next month that gives me:

1 out of 2 Saturday night stays
1 out of 2 city locations
1 night out of 6
1 HIX out of 2

Staying in Berlin for Sunday so could get the other HIX then plus a second night.
Shame I can't book something for Saturday night in London at the same time as for Berlin as that would get me both HIX and Saturday night stays in one go.

In London for a Saturday night in april for the marathon but that's costing around £200 on average so might blow some points instead.

Most of the hotels around Heathrow seem to be £39.50 for a Saturday night at present and that's less than half the price of Edinburgh and Manchester which are part of the two cities I need to stay in.
With a cheap train fare, very easy to do this. Shame though that none of the HIXs are included, just the HIs. (Luton Airport has a HIX, is classed as London, and is quite a bit nearer me but 2-3x the price of Heathrow)

Cheapest local IHG hotels are HIXs around £49.50 a night (use to be £39.50 but seem to have gone up by £10) so probably £300-400 to complete this and get 51k points (£230 or so if I use the points + cash method). Nice if I get extra bonuses from codes and it would count towards status.

Last edited by xenole; Feb 12, 2014 at 5:23 am
Old Feb 12, 2014, 5:35 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I'm still concerned that my 100 survey points will gum up the whole Big Win bonus; shows as completed, but not as a "completed task" in the running totals; I made certain to do the survey after the promo period started, too!
I'm also in the same situation - are there any news?

I have completed all Big win tasks and received all points for the single tasks. All are shown as completed on the Big Win site.

But the Win Big task is still on 5/6 and in the status email from IHG after all was completed the survey was grey (not completed)
and the title of the email (in german) was: Only one more Offer until the Big Win.

The survey was the first offer I completed this year in January and the points immediately posted.

Got no reply from IHG regarding that.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 7:42 am

Programs: KF Gold, QF Gold, MR Platinum, Accor Platinum, IHG Platinum
Book with IHG - BIG WIN

Just finished my two nights during weekend in HI Atrium Singapore. However, the status of my BIG WIN hasn;t changed for the Book with IHG section :

Stay a total of 6 nights and receive 8,800 POINTS (2/6)
Stay at 4 different IHG™ brands and receive 19,200 POINTS (1/4)
Book 3 separate stays through an IHG™ hotel website or mobile device to get our best price guarantee and receive 2,200 POINTS (0/3)
Stay 2 Saturday nights and receive 4,800 POINTS (1/2)
Complete a simple survey and receive 100 POINTS (Completed)
Spend $40 on food or beverage at any IHG™ hotel and receive 400 POINTS (Completed)
Stay at 2 Holiday Inn™ hotels and receive 4,800 POINTS (1/2)
Complete 7 of your offers and receive 40,000 POINTS (2/7)

I booked HI Atrium Singapore directly on IHG Website (not the mobile one though), why the BIG WIN won't recognize it? Anyone experiencing similar situations ?
Now, I'm getting doubt if I could complete all other tasks but if I didn't get credit on Book 3 separate stays then i won't get the 40,000 Big points then.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 8:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK*Elite+, EBD, FBG, EKS, IHG Royal Ambassador
@Virtualaris Have you even read a single message in this thread?
Old Feb 12, 2014, 10:34 am

Programs: IHG RA; Avis First
My offer...

Stay more and earn
Stay a total of 5 nights and earn 8,400 points

Explore our brands
Stay at 3 different IHG brands and earn 17,600 points

Start the day off right
Book 1 stays through the Best Flexible Rate with Breakfast and earn 2,000 points

Book with IHG
Book 2 separate stays through an IHG® hotel website or mobile device to get our Best Price Guarantee and earn 1,900 points

Win in a weekend
Stay 2 Saturday nights and earn 4,800 points

Change your view
Stay at 2 Holiday Inn® hotels and earn 8,000 points

Win big
Complete 6 of your offers and earn 43,000 points

Possible total = 85,700
Old Feb 12, 2014, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
No survey required?
Old Feb 12, 2014, 11:23 am

Programs: IHG RA; Avis First
Nope, maybe because I got it last time BW2013?
Old Feb 12, 2014, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA Marriott Hyatt
My Offer

My offer...

Stay more and earn
Stay a total of 5 nights and earn 8,400 points

Explore our brands
Stay at 3 different IHG brands and earn 17,600 points

Start the day off right
Book 1 stays through the Best Flexible Rate with Breakfast and earn 2,000 points

IHG Mobile App
Book 2 separate stays through a device to get our Best Price Guarantee and earn 8,000 points

Change your view
Stay at 2 Holiday Inn® hotels and earn 4,800 points

Complete the Survey 100 points

Win big
Complete 6 of your offers and earn 41,000 points

Total 81,900.

Staying at IC Times Square this weekend and then all I have is one more Holiday Inn and I'm done. Pretty stoked!
Old Feb 12, 2014, 4:11 pm

Programs: KF Gold, QF Gold, MR Platinum, Accor Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by johhenrik
@Virtualaris Have you even read a single message in this thread?
Well, I've posted several replies and posts on page 7 & 14 on this thread if that would counted read.

Pardon me if I rarely read this thread after that.

It seems that "book with IHG" on other accounts were also delayed to post. I realized that there is notice "Please allow up to 4 to 6 weeks for points or miles to be credited after checkout". However all other offers have similar T&C and all other offers progress were posted on the same time. That's why I'm quite confused why my book with IHG haven't posted yet.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 8:15 pm

Programs: AA-EXP 3MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Question

Any trick to finding the Best Flexible with Breakfast? I'm looking in Columbus OH and can't seem to ever find it. Just plain 'Best Flexible'. Though there is one HI here that state breakfast included, but its the regular Best Flex rate. Any suggestions?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.