Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Big Win returns - Spring 2014

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2014, 1:15 am

Programs: UA PP, 2 MM; IC;
Originally Posted by krward
Yes...it has be a Holiday Inn...when you pick the Best Flexible Rate it can't have breakfast included. The correct one will have a box that you have to check to include breakfast for an additional charge, usually $10.
Or Crowne Plaza, where I got my credit, or at an IC... not just HI
Old Feb 3, 2014, 9:36 am

Programs: AC, AA, AS, UA, WN, IHG, Hilton
I'm guessing earning the 'First log-in', 'Rewards seeker', 'Social first share', 'Social influencer' and 'Loyalist' badges does not net any points this time around? Last time, they gave you a token 100 pts just for signing up for the promotion. I don't have any stays scheduled during this period.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 10:48 am

App ?

Originally Posted by canesfan
I'm still missing my book through IHG website or mobile credit. My challenge specifically says book through IHG website or mobile site.
My challenge for this Big Win promotion states;

" Bonus points or bonus miles listed above will be rewarded after required number of qualifying stays are booked on any IHG web or mobile apps between January 1, 2014 and April 30, 2014 (both dates inclusive) "

I have a feeling this means that I have to do something more than simply booking a stay on an IHG brand website in order to qualify for this portion of The Big Win promotion ?

Since I don't own a smart phone and I have no desire to learn any new skills this may be difficult.

My question for you technically minded FT'ers, is there an app that runs on an Android tablet that will let me make a qualifying reservation ? And can someone with at least a half a brain in their heads figure out how to install the app and use it to make the booking ?

Any suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks very much !
Old Feb 3, 2014, 11:35 am

Programs: TK E+, BA G, SPG Plat, PC G, MR Plat, HH G
I m potentially just one night / stay away from achieving all challenges for the Big Win.
But,,,
The only problem is my challenges have changed since registering.
When i received the first email, i was told i should apply for the PC rewards visa card and use it to pay for one stay
I used the link on the registration page to apply for the card and have now received the card.
However when i received recently an email to inform me of my progress, it said i had to apply for the PC rewards Black card and use this card!!! (And this challenge now also shows up when i log in)
I contacted IHG by email but they told me that they need 7- 14 days to investigate....
It is not possible to have both blue and black card so by changing the offers, IHG made it almost impossible to win the Big Win (and 140k points).
Staying at a IHG property on my next trip would mean some inconvenience / detour which i would accept if get rewarded with the Big Win but i am worried to book and then be told i paid with the wrong card.
Any suggestions? would you still book and assuming that IHG will honour the original offer...
Old Feb 3, 2014, 11:51 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Virgin Gold
Originally Posted by thebobmc

" Bonus points or bonus miles listed above will be rewarded after required number of qualifying stays are booked on any IHG web or mobile apps between January 1, 2014 and April 30, 2014 (both dates inclusive) "

I have a feeling this means that I have to do something more than simply booking a stay on an IHG brand website in order to qualify for this portion of The Big Win promotion ?

Since I don't own a smart phone and I have no desire to learn any new skills this may be difficult.

My question for you technically minded FT'ers, is there an app that runs on an Android tablet that will let me make a qualifying reservation ? And can someone with at least a half a brain in their heads figure out how to install the app and use it to make the booking ?

There is an IHG app which you can download from google play store

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...obile&hl=en_GB

I've used it to book a night before christmas and it seemed to work fine...
Old Feb 3, 2014, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by snevillio
There is an IHG app which you can download from google play store

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...obile&hl=en_GB

I've used it to book a night before christmas and it seemed to work fine...
As long as you have Android 2.3 or later. It refuses to download to Android 2.2 phones. (I don't know if there are any Android 2.2 or older tablets, but there certainly are Android 2.2 phones out there.)
Old Feb 3, 2014, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium

Tried the IHG App downloaded from Amazon store (free) to my Kindle Fire HDX, and it worked like a charm. I love that it also shows my last five account activities, so I can use it to see whether any Big Win points have posted.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 2:48 pm

Thanks !

Thanks all ! You have given me hope.

My family and friends will definitely be impressed when I tell them that I have used an "app" !

Of course first I have to get a tablet that runs on Android 2.3 or higher, but how hard can that be.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 2:58 pm

Programs: HiltonH-Diamond, IHG-Plat, Hyatt-Diamond,SPG-newbie
The IHG apps for tablet is very helpful, and easy to use also. Been using that for the last booking.,

this time my Big win is harder to do with 5 stay, 3 different IHG brand, 2 HI stay, etc basic.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 3:17 pm
In Memoriam

Like the rest of you, I have five boxes to check for the 44K bonus.

If I spend a Saturday night at a Holiday inn on breakfast and bonus point rate...

Will I get a brand credit (4 different required)
Weekend night credit (2 different required)
Breakfast and bonus night credit (2 required)
Holiday Inn Stay (2 nights required)

It seems as though I can do this one night for 84 bucks and the Friday Night at a local Holiday inn as a mattress run. Will I punch tickets on all four categories?
Old Feb 3, 2014, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Yes, that should count for each promotion subset.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 4:02 pm
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Yes, that should count for each promotion subset.
thank you... seems easy enough...

I can do the second Saturday night stay for 77 bucks at a HIX... the rest can be easily accommodated this month in travel. With the Hilton Promotion SUCKING right now, this will take my mind off of that mess...
Old Feb 3, 2014, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Of course first I have to get a tablet that runs on Android 2.3 or higher, but how hard can that be.
FYI: The reason my phone runs Android 2.2 is not because it's old, but because it was inexpensive. It's less expensive to put older version of Andriod into cheaper smart devices. So it's possible you have to be pay extra to get a newer version of Android over an older one. And thus the "hard" would be justifying the extra money if the only reason you need the more expensive tablet with the newer version of Andriod is for this promo. (Obviously, if you dream features only come on Andriod 2.3+ tablets, that's not an issue.)

(By "more sure", I mean that we haven't yet ruled out that normal ihg.com booikings also count. So little has posted yet that we can't yet tell. Some people have already reported getting a "mobile booking" bonus on reservations made on a regular computer at ihg.com, but many more people, including ones who've used mobile apps, have reported not yet seeing antyhing from the "mobile booking" bonus post yet. So we have yet to sort out what is really required for this so-called "mobile booking" promo.)
Old Feb 3, 2014, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by canesfan
I'm still missing my book through IHG website or mobile credit. My challenge specifically says book through IHG website or mobile site.

Why do you think this?

It says booked on the web. You don't need to use an app... A branded website should do it.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
I'm relatively new to IHG. Just checked this promo on a whim. Mine is decent:

Stay more and earn - 5 nights (8,400)
Explore our brands - 3 brands (17,600)
Start the day off right - 1 stay BFR with b'fast (2,000)
Win in a weekend - 2 Sat nights (4,800)
Book with IHG - 2 stays (3,200)
Change your view - 2 stays at HI (8,000)
Survey (100)
Win big - all 7 (44,000)
for total of 88,100

But DW got a nice offer:

Stay more and earn - 4 nights (8,000)
Explore our brands - 2 brands (16,000)
Start the day off right - 1 stay BFR with b'fast (2,000)
Win in a weekend - 2 Sat nights (8,000)
IHG mobile app booking - 2 stays (8,000)
Change your view - 2 stays at HI (8,000)
Survey (100)
Win big - all 7 (50,000)

for a total of 100,100. Seems like there's a ton of overlap here. So much so that it might be worth just paying to do all these even though we wouldn't otherwise do any? Will this work?

Book 1 Sat night stay at HI, BFR with b'fast via mobile app: $100.57
Book 1 Fri-Sun stay at Candlewood Suites Advance Purchase Rate via mobile app: $137.14
Book 1 Sat stay at HIX Advance Purchase Rate: $92.20

If so, that's ~105,000 points for $330, seems worth it.

So my questions are:

1. Can I book 2 hotels for the same night? In other words, can I have the Candlewood and HI stays on the same night, check into both, and get credit for both? Cheaper hotels are further away from me, so I'd like to condense trips.
2. Does HIX count as "Holiday Inn" for the "Change your view" challenge?
3. Are HI and HIX considered separate brands for the "Explore our brand" challenge?
4. Are advance purchase rates valid for everything (except the BFR w/b'fast)?
5. Am I missing anything?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.