Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Big Win returns - Spring 2014

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2014, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
If you make the original booking through the app but then change it through another means, will it still be counted as an app booking?
Once again, thanks ! I realize that these are pretty lame questions for anyone who is tech savvy, but I really do appreciate the input as smart phones and apps are not something that I am familiar with.

And yes sdsearch, that really is the question.

The reason that I asked about changing / cancelling the reservation via the website was that I would like to be able to make a "test" reservation using the app just to see if it really works. And then cancel it, perhaps at a time when I don't have access to the borrowed tablet.

Once we arrive at the point where we know that;
- you really do have to use a mobile app to make the reservation(s) in order to qualify for that part of The Big Win, and
- I know what reservations that I want to make using an app, and have acquired the necessary technology to make those reservations,

then there won't be any cancelling. It will be app all the way !
Old Feb 4, 2014, 8:05 pm

Has anybody who booked a stay on a computer website (ie. IHG.com) gotten Big Win credit for that stay?
Old Feb 4, 2014, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
Has anybody who booked a stay on a computer website (ie. IHG.com) gotten Big Win credit for that stay?
Not yet. I had a stay Jan 2-5. If the recognition of the booking does not post by the end of the "4 to 6 week" time frame that the terms state I am going to contact IHG.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by discountsae

Not yet. I had a stay Jan 2-5. If the recognition of the booking does not post by the end of the "4 to 6 week" time frame that the terms state I am going to contact IHG.
What website did you use? I've been using ihg.com via Chade UR portal.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 9:20 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, UA Mileage Plus, IHG Rewards Club
The total points I can get out of this is 83,700 points, do you guys think it's worth pursuing it? Mine seems simple (stay a total of 5 nights, among others), but with a problematic "Stay at 1 resorts in the following locations" where the list of the location is blank.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 10:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Originally Posted by Quarantine
The total points I can get out of this is 83,700 points, do you guys think it's worth pursuing it? Mine seems simple (stay a total of 5 nights, among others), but with a problematic "Stay at 1 resorts in the following locations" where the list of the location is blank.
Only you can really answer that. Add up cost to earn the 83k points and ask yourself if the 5 nights and 83k is worth it to you. It would to me unless location was someplace odd that I would have additional travel expenses for and no interest in going to
Old Feb 4, 2014, 10:15 pm

What website did you use? I've been using ihg.com via Chade UR portal.
Just ihg.com (no portal that I recall... I use mrrebates sometimes though.)
Old Feb 4, 2014, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by skibum7732
Only you can really answer that. Add up cost to earn the 83k points and ask yourself if the 5 nights and 83k is worth it to you. It would to me unless location was someplace odd that I would have additional travel expenses for and no interest in going to
Using the points and cash rate of 7/10ths of a penny, 83,000 points is worth
$581.00 U.S.

Add about 20,000 to 30,000 points for stays and stackable bonuses, you're probably down to about $400.00 to $450.00.

So $90.00 out of pocket per stay makes it profitable.

Of course, it really depends on using your points profitably. Using the 7/10th rate, a 25,000 points room at a Holiday Inn costs $175.00.

So you have to do the math. IGH has already done that----and it's obvious that they want to attract infrequent travelers or non-mathematicians.

Last edited by bearvest; Feb 4, 2014 at 11:06 pm
Old Feb 4, 2014, 11:03 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I'm still concerned that my 100 survey points will gum up the whole Big Win bonus; shows as completed, but not as a "completed task" in the running totals; I made certain to do the survey after the promo period started, too!
I am in the same situation. pretty strange
Old Feb 5, 2014, 2:58 am

Programs: AAdvantage, UA Mileage Plus, IHG Rewards Club
Originally Posted by bearvest
Using the points and cash rate of 7/10ths of a penny, 83,000 points is worth
$581.00 U.S.

Add about 20,000 to 30,000 points for stays and stackable bonuses, you're probably down to about $400.00 to $450.00.

So $90.00 out of pocket per stay makes it profitable.

Of course, it really depends on using your points profitably. Using the 7/10th rate, a 25,000 points room at a Holiday Inn costs $175.00.

So you have to do the math. IGH has already done that----and it's obvious that they want to attract infrequent travelers or non-mathematicians.
Good point guys. Thanks for the math, will see if this is worth pursuing. Their gamification of this also attracts people like me.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 5:46 am

Programs: Yes
Just to put people's minds at rest:
a) I booked a stay through the iPhone app quite a while back now.
b) I have since stayed.
c) I have since received bonus points through the Big Win promotion for this stay.
d) I still haven't made any progress on the "Mobile Booking" task.

That just doesn't seem to track at all. I remember reading somewhere that it posted for someone, but more recently it doesn't seem to be working for anyone, no matter how it was booked.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 6:10 am

I book always via ihg.com and my first stay in January has not been credited for the Book with IHG challenge but for all other. My 2nd stay has been credited 6 days after the checkout.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 6:24 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by Quark999
Just to put people's minds at rest:
a) I booked a stay through the iPhone app quite a while back now.
b) I have since stayed.
c) I have since received bonus points through the Big Win promotion for this stay.
d) I still haven't made any progress on the "Mobile Booking" task.

That just doesn't seem to track at all. I remember reading somewhere that it posted for someone, but more recently it doesn't seem to be working for anyone, no matter how it was booked.
That may have been me. I booked four stays in the first weeks of January using the iPhone app, and all have posted in somewhat of a reasonable delay for me (probably 3 weeks from the stay).
Old Feb 5, 2014, 8:06 am

Just heard back from IHG after I (very politely!) informed them that my first mobile app booking was for a good deal longer than 10 business days ago and that it has credited properly for all parts of Big Win other than the mobile app challenge. Their response:

"We would like to inform you that we have confirmed an error regarding the IHG mobile app booking offer. Rest assured, we have forwarded this concern to our coordinator and we are currently working on a resolution. We will give you an update as soon as we received their response."

I'll keep you all posted, but I did appreciate that they acknowledged something was going wrong.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 10:54 am

Programs: HiltonH-Diamond, IHG-Plat, Hyatt-Diamond,SPG-newbie
2 stays at Holiday Inns

Can this be HI, HIX? or just in HI

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.