Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Recent discussion (After January 01, 2016) could be found in this thread.

Most important points to consider for a valid BRG:

1. The comparison website MUST bill in the same currency as the hotel .

2. The cancellation terms must be equal or better, than the terms by the hotels.

3. The Website needs to provide INSTANT confirmation.

4. The room names should match, but if you can demonstrate, that the room is comparable, it will also work with discrepancies in the name.

5. The price difference has to be more than either USD 1 or 1% (whichever is higher).
5.b In regards to hotels located in australia and New Zealand the price difference must be greater than 3% .

Hotels for which you will get reimbursed:
(Note: There have been significant problems with getting full reimbursements from IHG, especially for reimbursements in other currencies than USD)

IC Istanbul ( BRG claim from the 17.05.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

IC Frankfurt ( BRG claim from the 20.08.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

Link to the Terms and Conditions : https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/cus...rms-conditions
Print Wikipost

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2013, 5:32 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by nacho
I think you got the answer.

About kids - the best strategy is to first check the child policy of that particular hotel through booking.com. If you have too old kids, or too many kids compared to what they allowed, go check-in yourself and then get the kids in afterwards. Make sure that you don't ask for extra beds, bring your own sleeping bed, cot etc.
Actually I'm not so sure. That answer was for bridging two BRG nights with a paid night. But the question here is to simply add a paid night. I don't think this has been asked or answered before. Next time someone calls BRG, maybe you can ask
Old Jul 18, 2013, 7:27 am

Programs: 100m swimming certificate level 5
"Greetings from IHG’s Best Price Guarantee Support Desk. Please accept our apologies, but due to some technical difficulty, we were unable to adjust your reservation to reflect your free night on xxxxx at the InterContinental xxxxx xxxxxx

In order to fulfill the BPG promise of providing the first night free for reservation number xxxxxxx, we can reimburse the amount you paid through either a US denominated check or a funds transfer. Both options would take 4 - 6 weeks to complete after the stay. Should you opt to receive a check please provide us your complete mailing address. If you’d rather we transfer funds to your account, please contact us after your stay at the hotel to provide us your bank details to complete the transaction.

Again, please accept our apologies for any inconvenience that this may cause you."

First time I've received a email like this , is this a standard email for when a hotel refuses to change the rate?

Just realised this is for a whopping £780 rate! ill pass it as manufactured spend....
Old Jul 18, 2013, 7:32 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
Originally Posted by Nekamah7
Hmm, so that would preclude my wife from doing 1 room via points, and me doing the second via BRG.

Strange policy, as there's no gaming going on here. Simply adding on an additional room at normal pricing levels.
No, you will be fine doing that. It is when you have a BRG night in 1 hotel, and 2 nights later have another BRG night in another hotel (hotels <50 miles apart) they ban you from booking the middle night in ANY IHG hotel within 50 miles, whether paying cash or points.

If you only have a single BRG, then you can add nights before or after as it suits, either points or cash.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by mitpat474
First time I've received a email like this , is this a standard email for when a hotel refuses to change the rate?

Just realised this is for a whopping £780 rate! ill pass it as manufactured spend....
My most recent BRG, the CS guy on the phone confirming that I had a valid BRG was at pains to point out that it would be resolved in either of two ways, the hotel rate would adjust, or if the hotel had a "technical difficulty" adjusting the rate (nice euphemism) then I would receive an email outlining how to be reimbursed by either check or bank transfer.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by tangey
My most recent BRG, the CS guy on the phone confirming that I had a valid BRG was at pains to point out that it would be resolved in either of two ways, the hotel rate would adjust, or if the hotel had a "technical difficulty" adjusting the rate (nice euphemism) then I would receive an email outlining how to be reimbursed by either check or bank transfer.
Hmm probably doesn't help doing 5 nights at the same hotel in space of couple months.....

3/5 have the rates changed to zero, 2/5 remain.

I've emailed if they'll include a buffer for the reimbursement, in that case Ill see it as a positive because I get to knock around £1.5k on my card for staying in an IC!
Old Jul 18, 2013, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Just got the formal BRG email. Been a while since I had one of these so can't recall if the following is a new stipulation.

"One free night will be given to the guest per stay and for connecting reservations made by the guest or his household members at IHG hotels within 50 miles of each other."

It is a significantly different wording than the t&c. One free night per "Connecting reservations" rules out a points night in the middle night between 2 nights at two different hotels within 50 miles. The t&c does not mention stays in this regard.

Seems like they are determined that another hotel chain will get my business that night. Weird.
This comment made me laugh..... What business? Aren't you trying to get free stays.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by onlysuites
This comment made me laugh..... What business? Aren't you trying to get free stays.
ROFL.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 11:54 am

You can't BRG the "bridged" night....and in this case you can't even pay it.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by mitpat474
You can't BRG the "bridged" night....and in this case you can't even pay it.
The problem is that nobody is preventing him from paying for multiple nights - it's the act of bridging two free nights that isn't allowed, which, to be honest, is probably not completely unfair all things considered.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 12:06 pm

Nope, your comprehension of the issue is flawed, I'm trying to book a regular night.

I have a free stay in two different hotels, with a night gap between them. I want to book a paid stay for the gap night. Their BRG rules don't allow me to book any IHG hotels on that night, on either a paid or points basis, within 50 miles of the two hotels.

Hence their rules are forcing me to book elsewhere that night. No big loss,this is london, hardly short of hotels. In this case I might go to the Mayfair down the road.

I imagine hotels are pretty frustrated with having to give a free night on a single night booking BRG. But I wonder how much more frustrated they would be if they realised that the BRG rules can actually stop BRG bookers from giving them revenue for additional night/s in some cases. You can be sure either of the two hotels would love to get some revenue from me.

Regarding my BRG night in IC PL. As I said in a previous posting, I got the email confirming the BRG & rate adjustment this am. Fair play to the hotel, they have already refunded my advance purchase payment back to the CC card.

Last edited by tangey; Jul 18, 2013 at 12:25 pm
Old Jul 18, 2013, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Nope, your comprehension of the issue is flawed.

I have a free stay in two different hotels, with a night gap between them. I want to book a paid stay for the gap night. Their BRG rules don't allow me to book any IHG hotels on that night, on either a paid or points basis, within 50 miles of the two hotels.

Hence their rules are forcing me to book elsewhere that night. No big loss, for me theres a decent radisson down the road a bit.

I imagine hotels are pretty frustrated with having to give a free night on a single night booking BRG.

Can you imagine how much more annoyed they will be, when then find out the rules stop people for doing paid-for bookings !

Regarding my BRG night in IC PL. As I said in a previous posting, I got the email confirming the BRG & rate adjustment this am. Fair play to the hotel, they have already refunded my advance purchase payment back to the CC card.
Sorry I misunderstood. I have successfully stayed at a IC for the second night after a BRG and paid for the second night. Why are they telling you no?
Old Jul 18, 2013, 12:32 pm

Sorry I misunderstood. I have successfully stayed at a IC for the second night after a BRG and paid for the second night. Why are they telling you no?
The cruix of the matter is that it is the middle night of 3 nights, where the other 2 nights are BRGs in hotels within 50 miles of each other.

If I book a regular night (on cash/points), the first BRG + the regular night would be considered as 1 stay with a BRG component. The 2nd BRG would then be consecutive to the first stay, and you are not allowed to have two consecutive BRG stays within 50 miles of each other.The 2nd BRG would be deemed invalid and it would turn back into a regular paid-for night.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 12:58 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Nope, your comprehension of the issue is flawed, I'm trying to book a regular night.
No we all quite well understand what you are saying and trying to do and you ignore or turn around the sense of responses to suit your own limited viewpoint.

You are trying to game the system, staying in the same locality 3nights in a row with 2 BRG's a night a part and with a further local nights nights stay on either points or cash.
If everyone books 1night only BRG's, which is not the programs underying intent, IHG will have to either change t+c's or reduce benefit to say 50%, or easier 1x brg night per 30days.

IHG offer you BRG night and discount match on a multiple night booking which is the intention of the BRG scheme, not 2 of 3 free nights or 3 of 5 free nights

The rule you are complaining about and wanting to circumvent is to prevent someone finding a BRG booking opportunity and booking Mon/WED/FRI alternate nights straight off on finding a BRG hotel, and for you book 3nights in 1xhotel with BRG night + discounted nights 2&3.
That also makes hotel losing on your BRG. happier as you buy a room from them.

Intent of BRG scheme is that you stay at hotel wth 1x free brg night,and get a price match on rest of nights 2/3/4 etc. Don't be greedy, stop complaining, no other hotel scheme is this generous.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
I don't think Tangey is gaming the system. Why on earth can't you 'bridge' a night when the 3rd night is not in the same hotel? What if there are more than 3 hotels in the same area and you got BRG for hotel A and C and you tried to buy a night at hotel B, is it prohibited?

What BRG want is to give you the hassle to check-in and out and then travel 50 miles to another hotel if you want another free night. In this case, he/she has to do it because he/she has to move to another hotel.

The first hotel is definitely loosing his business because it will be either a paid/point stay which means that the hotel is getting something for having him there.

Perhaps you could make a deal with the hotel? As long as they don't tell the BRG people wouldn't know.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by scubaccr
No we all quite well understand what you are saying and trying to do and you ignore or turn around the sense of responses to suit your own limited viewpoint.
Its unfortunate you take that attitude, however it might be more respectful to others not to assume you speak for them. Another poster thought I was trying to get a 3rd free night, which was incorrect.

You are trying to game the system, staying in the same locality 3nights in a row with 2 BRG's a night a part and with a further local nights nights stay on either points or cash.
Strange, just 3 days ago you stated:-

"I can't see any restriction that says you can not BRG a stay in a hotel on nights 1 + 3, and stay NON-BRG elsewhere for night 2 (paid or points) within 50miles. That is not ONE STAY as not same hotel any 2nights in a row."

In terms of revenue, it is exactly the same thing that, I, a day earlier, theorised would be an invalid BRG claim. The difference is that my BRG claims are in two different hotels, your scenario is one hotel. Apparently because it is within the BRG T&C, you don't view screwing 1 hotel for 2 BRG nights out of 3 as gaming the system, but apparently I am trying to game the system. Sweet.

The rule you are complaining about and wanting to circumvent is to prevent someone finding a BRG booking opportunity and booking Mon/WED/FRI alternate nights straight off on finding a BRG hotel, and for you book 3nights in 1xhotel with BRG night + discounted nights 2&3.
That also makes hotel losing on your BRG. happier as you buy a room from them.
Please point me to one place where I have complained about this "rule". In fact, it is not a rule as per the T&Cs which solely talk about BRG consecutive nights, and do not refer to stays. And far from complaining about it, I highlighted it as a possible scenario in the thread to be aware of, even though it is not in the T&C. I have not once complained about it, merely stated that it may in fact be viewed as contravening the intent of the BRG, but it is conterproductive from the hotel's point of view. I specifically said that the rule was no big loss to me,yes it means moving 5 -10 minutes down the road, but it also means an IHG hotel doesn't get paid revenue at all for my 3 day stay in London.

Intent of BRG scheme is that you stay at hotel wth 1x free brg night,and get a price match on rest of nights 2/3/4 etc. Don't be greedy, stop complaining, no other hotel scheme is this generous.
Again, please advise where I complained about it. Also, please advise, why is it not being "greedy" to BRG the same hotel twice in 3 days as you were happy to lay out the details of a few days ago, but it is being greedy to BRG 2 different hotels in 3 days. ?

Last edited by tangey; Jul 18, 2013 at 5:06 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.