Old Jul 8, 13, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Recent discussion (After January 01, 2016) could be found in this thread.

Most important points to consider for a valid BRG:

1. The comparison website MUST bill in the same currency as the hotel .

2. The cancellation terms must be equal or better, than the terms by the hotels.

3. The Website needs to provide INSTANT confirmation.

4. The room names should match, but if you can demonstrate, that the room is comparable, it will also work with discrepancies in the name.

5. The price difference has to be more than either USD 1 or 1% (whichever is higher).
5.b In regards to hotels located in australia and New Zealand the price difference must be greater than 3% .

Hotels for which you will get reimbursed:
(Note: There have been significant problems with getting full reimbursements from IHG, especially for reimbursements in other currencies than USD)

IC Istanbul ( BRG claim from the 17.05.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

IC Frankfurt ( BRG claim from the 20.08.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

Link to the Terms and Conditions : https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/cus...rms-conditions
Print Wikipost

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback

Old Jul 16, 13, 12:58 pm
  #4261  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: N/A
Programs: 100m swimming certificate level 5
Posts: 1,455
Originally Posted by tangey
Indeed, but that wasn't the scenario I was setting.

Get a BRG for hotel 1 on August the 1st. Get a BRG for hotel 2 on August the 3rd (the 2 hotels are only a few miles apart). Do a points booking in hotel 1 for august 2nd.

Hotel may turn the BRG booking and the points booking into 1 stay on arrival. This will then effectively be a stay including a BRG, which will be consecutive with another BRG stay, in hotels that are less than 50 miles apart.Hotel 2 might say, you've just checked-out of a hotel today which was a BRG stay.

BRG T&C talk about nights not stays, but it might be viewed as trying to circumvent the intention of the guarantee.
I was on the phone to them earlier and you can't do that only if it was outside the 50 mile radius, you could probably get away with doing the stay in partners name instead for hotel 2.
mitpat474 is offline  
Old Jul 16, 13, 1:34 pm
  #4262  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Tyrone,EU
Programs: Avios Hunter
Posts: 2,759
Originally Posted by mitpat474
I was on the phone to them earlier and you can't do that only if it was outside the 50 mile radius, you could probably get away with doing the stay in partners name instead for hotel 2.
Did you ask about paying for the middle night? Seems counter-productive that their BRG terms stops them from having any opportunity to get a paid middle night from me, either directly in cash, or via getting paid for the reward night from IHG.
tangey is offline  
Old Jul 16, 13, 2:46 pm
  #4263  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: N/A
Programs: 100m swimming certificate level 5
Posts: 1,455
Originally Posted by tangey
Did you ask about paying for the middle night? Seems counter-productive that their BRG terms stops them from having any opportunity to get a paid middle night from me, either directly in cash, or via getting paid for the reward night from IHG.
Yep cash/points/brg you cant "bridge" the stay within 50 miles, only way to counter is put middle night in partners name..
mitpat474 is offline  
Old Jul 16, 13, 3:30 pm
  #4264  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Tyrone,EU
Programs: Avios Hunter
Posts: 2,759
Originally Posted by mitpat474
Yep cash/points/brg you cant "bridge" the stay within 50 miles, only way to counter is put middle night in partners name..
I'll give it a go anyhow. I know that it was me that raised this as a potential issue, but in practise, unless one or other hotels really look at your account for some reason, it won't be noticed. Assuming both BRGs are adv purchase (really the only ones I find these days), I'll try and get both hotels to refund the cc payment prior to booking the points night. At this stage they'll be resigned to giving the free night and unlikely to be looking for a reason to back out. Will only be an issue if one or other hotel doesn't want to honour the BRG and IHG is doing a refund. I could see IHG looking for a reason to retrospectively not pay out.

Last edited by tangey; Jul 16, 13 at 3:37 pm
tangey is offline  
Old Jul 16, 13, 5:33 pm
  #4265  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: CPH
Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Posts: 10,278
Originally Posted by tangey
I'll give it a go anyhow. I know that it was me that raised this as a potential issue, but in practise, unless one or other hotels really look at your account for some reason, it won't be noticed. Assuming both BRGs are adv purchase (really the only ones I find these days), I'll try and get both hotels to refund the cc payment prior to booking the points night. At this stage they'll be resigned to giving the free night and unlikely to be looking for a reason to back out. Will only be an issue if one or other hotel doesn't want to honour the BRG and IHG is doing a refund. I could see IHG looking for a reason to retrospectively not pay out.
It could be an issue if the 2 hotels are owned by the same company, then might be able to look you up.

How smoothly a BRG goes depending on how the hotel handles it IMO. As long as you don't start to request this and that to catch their attention, you should be ok.
nacho is offline  
Old Jul 17, 13, 2:24 am
  #4266  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 705
I have a valid BRG claim for 2 adults for 1 night in December including breakfast. After a few days the rate got ammended to house comp, then a week later it got changed to an adv purchase room only rate for 3 adults and is over 100 per night....

I contacted the BPG team and they say they are waiting to hear back from the hotel and worst case scenario is that I will be charged and then need to claim it back.

I've got printouts of the BPG claim response email, the original reservation and luckily also when it was house comp (from the mobile site)

Obviously the hotel is playing funny buggers
lfc84 is offline  
Old Jul 17, 13, 2:38 am
  #4267  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: N/A
Programs: 100m swimming certificate level 5
Posts: 1,455
Originally Posted by lfc84
I have a valid BRG claim for 2 adults for 1 night in December including breakfast. After a few days the rate got ammended to house comp, then a week later it got changed to an adv purchase room only rate for 3 adults and is over 100 per night....

I contacted the BPG team and they say they are waiting to hear back from the hotel and worst case scenario is that I will be charged and then need to claim it back.

I've got printouts of the BPG claim response email, the original reservation and luckily also when it was house comp (from the mobile site)

Obviously the hotel is playing funny buggers
I would'nt worry about it, BRG are on your side as they have approved it and even if the hotel charge, you will get reimbursed anyway perhaps with some extra bonus points for the trouble
mitpat474 is offline  
Old Jul 17, 13, 4:01 am
  #4268  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: CPH
Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Posts: 10,278
Originally Posted by mitpat474
I would'nt worry about it, BRG are on your side as they have approved it and even if the hotel charge, you will get reimbursed anyway perhaps with some extra bonus points for the trouble
I used to think so too until they started messing up my reimbursements. They said that they will reimburse 10% extra to cover the cost - which was total BS in my case because calculated the rates and there is no 10% at all - basically it's just the plain amount in USD.

Another FTer got it reimbursed through bank transfer (he lives in the US and his bank charged him for receiving $ from IHG), and IHG does not cover the cost of transfer.

The easiest is to get a cheque from them if it's possible - it's the fastest way.
nacho is offline  
Old Jul 17, 13, 8:14 am
  #4269  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: N/A
Programs: 100m swimming certificate level 5
Posts: 1,455
Any thoughts/experiences of booking a classic (IHG) vs Standard (3rd party) room would be ok?
mitpat474 is offline  
Old Jul 17, 13, 8:29 am
  #4270  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Tyrone,EU
Programs: Avios Hunter
Posts: 2,759
Originally Posted by mitpat474
Any thoughts/experiences of booking a classic (IHG) vs Standard (3rd party) room would be ok?
Can't help, I've only ever gone with exact room description matches. wWould say its highly likely to physically be the same room type, but I definitely wouldn't risk it on a adv pur BRG claim.
tangey is offline  
Old Jul 17, 13, 8:37 am
  #4271  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: In the air
Programs: Occasional RTW club
Posts: 6,882
Originally Posted by mitpat474
Any thoughts/experiences of booking a classic (IHG) vs Standard (3rd party) room would be ok?
Don't do it on prepaid but go ahead if it's flex. Reason being, they follow descriptions word for word - UNLESS you can convince them to phone the hotel and ask, sometimes that works - then this would be valid. The problem is that if you booked a nonref, you've committed already so it's not worth it.

Another possibility: book flex, call and explain and while on the phone, if theoretically approved, rebook as prepaid.
Pseudo Nim is offline  
Old Jul 17, 13, 8:43 am
  #4272  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: N/A
Programs: 100m swimming certificate level 5
Posts: 1,455
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Don't do it on prepaid but go ahead if it's flex. Reason being, they follow descriptions word for word - UNLESS you can convince them to phone the hotel and ask, sometimes that works - then this would be valid. The problem is that if you booked a nonref, you've committed already so it's not worth it.

Another possibility: book flex, call and explain and while on the phone, if theoretically approved, rebook as prepaid.

I got what your saying , if I get the right kind of agent that might work, other wise its like blood outta stone!!

ta
mitpat474 is offline  
Old Jul 17, 13, 9:12 am
  #4273  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: In the air
Programs: Occasional RTW club
Posts: 6,882
Originally Posted by mitpat474
I got what your saying , if I get the right kind of agent that might work, other wise its like blood outta stone!!

ta
True that. Sadly, it works more often the other way: I was booking a hotel in MOW, and the competing rate said "Deluxe" with no footnotes or description or comments or cancellation terms, so they called the hotel while doing a test booking, and determined into what sort of room that booked into, and denied it based on the fact that it was a nonref booking.

I kind of do wonder how that website's customers would have felt were they to book it with no explicit cancellation options only to find out it's nonref after... then again, since it was a major Middle Eastern airline, they'd probably just eat the fee and not blink.
Pseudo Nim is offline  
Old Jul 17, 13, 10:30 am
  #4274  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: N/A
Programs: 100m swimming certificate level 5
Posts: 1,455
its best flex so ill try..try and try till it works
mitpat474 is offline  
Old Jul 17, 13, 10:34 am
  #4275  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Amsterdam, Asia, UK
Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Posts: 5,072
Originally Posted by mitpat474
Any thoughts/experiences of booking a classic (IHG) vs Standard (3rd party) room would be ok?
Unless you have an expanded description on ATP site that matches the description on IHG Hotels site, if the headline 'short room descriptions' are differently worded, only book if on flex.
scubaccr is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.