Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Recent discussion (After January 01, 2016) could be found in this thread.

Most important points to consider for a valid BRG:

1. The comparison website MUST bill in the same currency as the hotel .

2. The cancellation terms must be equal or better, than the terms by the hotels.

3. The Website needs to provide INSTANT confirmation.

4. The room names should match, but if you can demonstrate, that the room is comparable, it will also work with discrepancies in the name.

5. The price difference has to be more than either USD 1 or 1% (whichever is higher).
5.b In regards to hotels located in australia and New Zealand the price difference must be greater than 3% .

Hotels for which you will get reimbursed:
(Note: There have been significant problems with getting full reimbursements from IHG, especially for reimbursements in other currencies than USD)

IC Istanbul ( BRG claim from the 17.05.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

IC Frankfurt ( BRG claim from the 20.08.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

Link to the Terms and Conditions : https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/cus...rms-conditions
Print Wikipost

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback

Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:44 am

I created a wikipost with the most important rules for a valid claim from my point of view and I think, that it would be nice to have a list of hotels, where you will get a check and not the "house-use comp".
Old Jul 8, 2013, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
so I know I shouldn't complain about the little things, but on my last BRG stay, they charged me 2,50 euro city tax when I checked out. I didn't make much of a fuss, but I wonder if I should bother bringing it up with BRG...
Old Jul 8, 2013, 3:17 pm

Programs: 100m swimming certificate level 5
Originally Posted by no2chem
so I know I shouldn't complain about the little things, but on my last BRG stay, they charged me 2,50 euro city tax when I checked out. I didn't make much of a fuss, but I wonder if I should bother bringing it up with BRG...
I say do it , for information purposes and report back!
Old Jul 8, 2013, 4:25 pm

Programs: LH, BA, Panera Bread
They most likely have to pay the city tax whenever a room is occupied (if it is a free room or a room with a normal paying customer probably does not matter). Why shouldn´t they charge you the city tax? It is nothing the hotel has an influence on.

I actually also can´t understand why people are even thinking about claiming 2,50 $ when they already get a free room, but maybe that´s only me...
Old Jul 8, 2013, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FrequentStargazer
I actually also can´t understand why people are even thinking about claiming 2,50 $ when they already get a free room, but maybe that´s only me...
I can't believe it either. A couple of weeks back someone wanted to take up the exchange rate difference with them which was a few dollars. Come on! Think of the bigger picture.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by mitpat474
Relax enjoy your freebie suite . use the mobile site to check if it has been switched to house comp - £0.01!

http://m.ihg.com/hotels/rewardsclub/us/en/home
lol I'm planning to relax! Just wanna make sure my freebie suite is FREE. or close to it

thanks for posting the link (cuz I had no idea what you were talking about). I looked up my res. on there but it shows no notations about house comp. or room rate to refunded or anything.

Thanks for any help / input!
Old Jul 8, 2013, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Originally Posted by onlysuites
I can't believe it either. A couple of weeks back someone wanted to take up the exchange rate difference with them which was a few dollars. Come on! Think of the bigger picture.
hey, that was me too, and I'm not actually serious about making a big fuss about these things... I mean 3% ended up being around $20 USD, but whatever...

the bigger problem is that I'm currently waiting for several large checks from IHG, and floating that much money around kinda stinks. Before someone claims thats money I should have paid anyway, well, i wouldn't have paid for multiple suites on best flex unless it was for brg!
Old Jul 8, 2013, 8:33 pm

credit card charged before I even arrived

I checked into the Crowne Plaza Metro Wednesday night for a 1 night BRG. I had received a nice email from the GM that the reservation had been adjusted prior to my stay. It also stated I would need a cc to be authorized upon my arrival for incidentals. Prior to arrival - I called the hotel front desk to see if I would be able to do a cash deposit rather than credit card and was told it was not a problem. Upon arrival the niht attendant was perplexed when I said I would be doing a cash deposit. After further inspection he verified that my card had already been authorized earlier that day for the incidental deposit. Has anyone ever experienced this???? I will be contacting the GMonce I get back home to voice my displeasure
Old Jul 9, 2013, 1:11 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by robertwcook16
I checked into the Crowne Plaza Metro Wednesday night for a 1 night BRG. I had received a nice email from the GM that the reservation had been adjusted prior to my stay. It also stated I would need a cc to be authorized upon my arrival for incidentals. Prior to arrival - I called the hotel front desk to see if I would be able to do a cash deposit rather than credit card and was told it was not a problem. Upon arrival the niht attendant was perplexed when I said I would be doing a cash deposit. After further inspection he verified that my card had already been authorized earlier that day for the incidental deposit. Has anyone ever experienced this???? I will be contacting the GMonce I get back home to voice my displeasure
You say 'night attendant'. Sounds like late night or early morning (am) arrival. As such one should believe hotel were being helpful so you could get room key and go right to your room as quickly and painlessly as possible.

If your cc rejected deposit attempt, the hotel may also have a reason to reject your brg night, due to invalid cc provided on the reservation, so I can see some brg'd hotels insisting in a cc deposit using cc number on booking ?

I am surprised more hotels do not precharge adr brg's to check cc works as if payment declined, especially on costly nights, as hotel would not be liable for the brg night. Precharging and refunding is messier in their accounts though.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 5:38 am

Programs: QFF P1 / OW EMERALD, VA PLATINUM, ETIHAD GUEST GOLD, IC RA, HH DIAMOND
Originally Posted by cmcbugg
I've never used the best price guarantee before - and I'm skeptical whether they'll accept my claim or not - so would appreciate any advice:

For 2 nights:

IHG website:
SUPERIOR ROOM NONSMOKING
Average Nightly Rate € 188.10 EUR per room, per night
Fri XX XXX 2013 - Sun XX XXX 2013 € 188.10 EUR per night (1 room(s))
Extra person charge per night € 10.00 EUR
Service Charge ‡ € 21.80 EUR
Estimated Total Price ‡ € 418.00 EUR
Tax: 6% per night included in rate effective XX XXX, 2013 thru XX XXXX, 2013 VAT. 5.5 PCT CTY TAX NOT INCLD IN RATE.

Hotels.com:
Superior Non-Smoking - Advance Purchase
Friday, XXX XX, 2013 €188.11
Saturday, XXX XX, 2013 €188.11
Taxes and fees €20.00
Total price includes taxes. €396.22
The nightly price breakdown may include rounding
Full payment will be charged when you book this hotel.
A 5.5 percent city/local tax will be charged

It looks to me that Hotels.com isn't including the Service charge - but on the other hand they are quoting a Total price. Is this likely to be accepted?
As the base room rate is almost identical (€0.01 difference) I can almost guarantee bad news.... the Ts & Cs state 'The Guarantee does not include extra fees such as extra person charges'. Looks like this is included in your IHG quote but not in your hotels.com quote, which if added to the hotels.com quote, would equate to a small difference between the two of €1.78 for total room cost, extra person charge, taxes / service charges. Yes it's more than USD$1, you would have to be EXTREMELY lucky to get this through. Good luck.... I have had my fair share of battles, including a 92 minute conversation that I will post about shortly....
Old Jul 9, 2013, 5:55 am

Programs: 100m swimming certificate level 5
Thought I'd post something positive about the BRG team.

My girl friend had 2 claims approved both for this week. The claims were submitted around last week and were only confirmed yesterday leaving 2 days till check in. We did stress this to them at the time when they stated they needed to verify the rate ASAP as the state was in a couple of days. The emails both came yesterday afternoon, and there was also an note that the hotel manager was contacted but unavailable but would try to have the rate adjusted prior to the stay (5k base points though! + promos).

I Just think this was pretty good service from them.

EDIT: The rate has been adjusted 1 day after initial email, this is for the holiday inn mayfair.

Last edited by mitpat474; Jul 9, 2013 at 11:09 am
Old Jul 9, 2013, 7:23 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Plat, Avis PC, Sixt Pl,
This bit is confusing me...

2. The cancellation terms must be equal or better, than the terms by the hotels.

ADVANCE SAVER RATE
Take advantage of special savings when you book early. Full prepayment is required at the time of booking. A 10% refund is applicable if your reservation is canceled or you fail to arrive. Full prepayment is charged to your credit card between the time of booking and day of arrival. Canceling your reservation or failing to arrive results in forfeit of prepayment less estimated 10% of booking price. 10% refund is repaid to your credit card.
On every advance saver rate in every German hotel I've checked it seems you get this 10% back if you cancel on IHG. This beats all other cancellation terms on travel agent websites that require full prepayment.

Their get out of jail free card?
Old Jul 9, 2013, 7:55 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by courtster

On every advance saver rate in every German hotel I've checked it seems you get this 10% back if you cancel on IHG. This beats all other cancellation terms on travel agent websites that require full prepayment.

Yep, could very well be, unfortunately.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 9:43 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by courtster

Not true, not a get out of jail card for BRG's. German Law.

Hotel can not charge you the room tax on room and keep in if you don't stay. Previously hotels charged and kept tax, did not pass tax onto German government, nor refund to customer. Hence the German Law that says hotels must return the tax.

I guess in theory OTA's will need to also refund that 10% too ???

(Thankfully not like airlines, that say they refund part of taxes, then deduct a £35 admin fee, making claiming tax back almost pointless)
Old Jul 9, 2013, 9:46 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Plat, Avis PC, Sixt Pl,
Excellent, thanks for the knowledge Scuba

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.