Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Kyoto - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Kyoto - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2022, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan
anyone know the cost if a pay taxi?
I think it was about 900 Yen - when we arrived at the Hyatt the Hyatt staff gave the taxi driver a taxi ticket to cover the fare

Was also told (after the fact) that if we didn't want to utilize the taxi service from the JR Station, we could instead use it to the JR Station after check-out.
beachfan likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2022, 1:48 am

Originally Posted by Pickles
Stayed there recently, place was packed to the rafters with leaf peepers, a mix of domestic and international (as opposed to out on the leaf-peeping sites, where it was 90% or so domestic tourists). I did not get an upgrade to the 5th floor (which happens frequently for me here), but they were apologetic about it. I did not have to ask, they said unprompted that they couldn't give me a 5th floor room because they were fully booked. And indeed it looked to be the case.

The concierge came through once again with flying colors, getting me into restaurants other people have paid dearly to third party intermediaries to land a seat. I have to say their concierge team is the best I've seen in Japan.

The only weak spot was the breakfast. It was always very crowded, and people were made to wait frequently. I asked whether they were short-staffed, and they said not really (and no short-staffing was evident anywhere on the hotel). I think the issue is that they changed the model. Before it was a buffet breakfast as the base offering, and if you wanted something extra, you had to order it from either the egg station or the small a la carte menu. Now it's all a la carte, and they have many more offerings. This means that there are additional steps in the process flow (order from server, server takes order to kitchen, kitchen makes it, server picks it up and takes it to customer). This means that table turnover is slower, reducing capacity overall and leading to backups and wait times. Also, not sure the kitchen was designed for such a large number of SKUs, or even has the capacity to serve so many people at once, so that may add to the customer dwell time and reducing table turnover even further.

The buffet was still there, with most items as original. Only weirdness is that you had to put on gloves to serve yourself. Only place in saw that as a requirement after two weeks in Japan. I think they should go back to their old model, much more efficient.
Just finished a 5-night stay, with check in date on Nov 18. They changed the b-fast format to full buffet on Nov 21 with ala carte option added in. On the 19th and the 20th - there were no hot food option on the buffet, sans the bread/pastry section (done via menu). Our b-fast on Nov 23, 24 and 25 were fast - no evident of short staff. Ms Nagatsuka and Mr Shipley (yes - you read that right - South Carolina guy) are super, very nice, very attentive and remember every details about our preferences.

We actually like the gloves - other hotels where we stayed prior had them - Hyatts at Hakone and Yokohama, Sheraton Grande Hiroshima.

I can't pinpoint what it is about the hotel - we did not get upgraded - stayed on the 4th floor, standard King room, so the room is small. The check in staff apologized at check in for not being able to offer upgrades. Prior to this, we stayed at newer Hyatts (see above) at Hakone (a suite), and Yokohama (deluxe King). Both are newer hotels, more up to date, and more glitz and shine, decor is also old school - but somehow this hotel gives off a certain something - call it vibe/goodwill/atmosphere, whatever. It just felt good staying here. We had a laundry mishap, but the room director handled it really well.

PH Kyoto is obviously newer - but we won't have any qualms about staying here again.
Old Nov 27, 2022, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by r0m8470
Just finished a 5-night stay, with check in date on Nov 18. They changed the b-fast format to full buffet on Nov 21 with ala carte option added in. On the 19th and the 20th - there were no hot food option on the buffet, sans the bread/pastry section (done via menu). Our b-fast on Nov 23, 24 and 25 were fast - no evident of short staff. Ms Nagatsuka and Mr Shipley (yes - you read that right - South Carolina guy) are super, very nice, very attentive and remember every details about our preferences.

We actually like the gloves - other hotels where we stayed prior had them - Hyatts at Hakone and Yokohama, Sheraton Grande Hiroshima.

I can't pinpoint what it is about the hotel - we did not get upgraded - stayed on the 4th floor, standard King room, so the room is small. The check in staff apologized at check in for not being able to offer upgrades. Prior to this, we stayed at newer Hyatts (see above) at Hakone (a suite), and Yokohama (deluxe King). Both are newer hotels, more up to date, and more glitz and shine, decor is also old school - but somehow this hotel gives off a certain something - call it vibe/goodwill/atmosphere, whatever. It just felt good staying here. We had a laundry mishap, but the room director handled it really well.

PH Kyoto is obviously newer - but we won't have any qualms about staying here again.
Good to hear they're back to the old full buffet model for breakfast, and turnover and capacity have increased. As for your comment about this hotel giving off a certain "something", I agree. There is something about the layout and the simple furnishings that give off a certain omotenashi. And the staff is attentive and the service crisp. Very good value for money, I think.
Old Nov 27, 2022, 7:59 pm

omotenashi
great word
Old Nov 27, 2022, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Good to hear they're back to the old full buffet model for breakfast, and turnover and capacity have increased. As for your comment about this hotel giving off a certain "something", I agree. There is something about the layout and the simple furnishings that give off a certain omotenashi. And the staff is attentive and the service crisp. Very good value for money, I think.
The Superpotato design is just timeless.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 2:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, AA Exec Plat, OZ Diamond Plus
Can anyone confirm the concierge email here? I saw there was an eConcierge website and attached email ([email protected]) but I'm not quite sure if that's the right one. Hoping they can help snag a res at some difficult spots like Kikunoi or Sottaku Tsukamoto.

​​​​​​Pickles seems like you used them recently?

Last edited by Fluff Ermine; Jan 11, 2023 at 2:39 pm
Old Jan 12, 2023, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by Fluff Ermine
Can anyone confirm the concierge email here? I saw there was an eConcierge website and attached email ([email protected]) but I'm not quite sure if that's the right one. Hoping they can help snag a res at some difficult spots like Kikunoi or Sottaku Tsukamoto.
Here’s the email address I used: [email protected]. They were helpful with restaurant reservations. Note that reservations are also recommended for the afternoon tea at the downstairs restaurant, if that’s something you’re hoping to have during your stay. They were sold out the days that we preferred when we inquired midway through our stay.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 11:01 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
For a tough reservation, which is better, hotel concierge here or Amex platinum?
Old Jan 12, 2023, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by CoffeeTraveler
Here’s the email address I used: [email protected]. They were helpful with restaurant reservations. Note that reservations are also recommended for the afternoon tea at the downstairs restaurant, if that’s something you’re hoping to have during your stay. They were sold out the days that we preferred when we inquired midway through our stay.
Thanks very much. They got back to me about sending them a fax of my credit card info though, I haven't seen a fax machine in 10 years
Old Jan 12, 2023, 8:25 pm

Thanks very much. They got back to me about sending them a fax of my credit card info though, I haven't seen a fax machine in 10 years
I had to do that for Park Hyatt Kyoto for some of the reservations. They fortunately were also willing to accept a scanned document as an emailed .pdf.
Fluff Ermine likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 4:10 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat. WOH Glob. SQ Gold
Checked in today and the welcome information sheet clearly states welcome drink one per guest each day -so that is still quite generous. Also arrived an hour before checkin and free drinks were offered while waiting for the room - went for a walk instead.
No upgrade provided - which was as expected, but unprompted the check in agent asked if we willing to change rooms they had an deluxe balcony room for the last four nights of the six night stay, so that is above and beyond.

Strange sort of hotel - the service standards are excellent (even by Japanese Standards) but the room has that bare bones Hyatt Regency feel. My only real complaint is the lack of storage - even the suitcases don't fit anywhere in the room so take up limited room space.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by chad75
No upgrade provided - which was as expected, but unprompted the check in agent asked if we willing to change rooms they had an deluxe balcony room for the last four nights of the six night stay, so that is above and beyond.

Strange sort of hotel - the service standards are excellent (even by Japanese Standards) but the room has that bare bones Hyatt Regency feel. My only real complaint is the lack of storage - even the suitcases don't fit anywhere in the room so take up limited room space.
This used to be a 1980s (maybe 1970s) mid-range hotel (I think it was called the Park Hotel). When Hyatt renovated it in the mid-2000s, it kept the basic building shell, hence the many, many equally small rooms. But if they've offered you one of the balcony rooms, take it, they are very, very nice.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by CoffeeTraveler
I've reached out over a week ago and can't seem to get a reply even after a bump... PHT replied in 2 hours. Maybe they're short staffed or having tech issues? Maybe someone staying at the hotel right now can chime in.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 3:44 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat. WOH Glob. SQ Gold
I've reached out over a week ago and can't seem to get a reply even after a bump... PHT replied in 2 hours. Maybe they're short staffed or having tech issues? Maybe someone staying at the hotel right now can chime in.

Checked out today - never saw the concierge office manned once - they are definitely in off season mode. The staff to guest ratio is very high so definitely not short staffed.

Maybe try the front desk?

[email protected]
Fluff Ermine likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by chad75
Checked out today - never saw the concierge office manned once - they are definitely in off season mode. The staff to guest ratio is very high so definitely not short staffed.

Maybe try the front desk?

[email protected]
Looks like that might be it - concierge reached out as well with no reply. Will just have to wait or take reservation matters in my own hands I guess.

BTW, how was your stay overall? Enjoy the balcony room?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.