Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Kyoto - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Kyoto - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2021, 3:20 am

Programs: Eurobonus, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Aventine
...if they open up by then.
@Aventine I'm confused?

Is the hotel closed at the moment?
Or do you mean Japan opening for tourists?
Old Oct 19, 2021, 3:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by Living_on_Points
@Aventine I'm confused?

Pretty sure Aventine means the latter. Of course the property is open right now for those in Japan.

-FlyerBeek
Old Oct 19, 2021, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Living_on_Points
@Aventine I'm confused?

I meant Japan. They're still quite restrictive on international tourists.
Living_on_Points likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 2:18 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Mariott Platinum, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Came back to this hotel for another stay last week. Location is not the best in Kyoto in my opinion, but the hotel otherwise is great. Globalist status was recognized but couldn't get a room upgrade as the hotel was nearly fully booked due to koyo season. Got 1 free cocktail at the Touzan Bar and was offered 4pm late checkout. Breakfast spread wasn't much to write home about, but you're allowed to order unlimited from the a-la-carte menu which is higher quality that you would get from a self-service buffet. Last time, my partner and I cleared multiple entree items but I felt a little bit this time and ended at 2.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 12:42 pm
was ShootinPutin11

Programs: AA-Plat, Hyatt-Globalist, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium, UA-Silver, DL-Silver
I'm looking for advice and recommendations on whether to stay at the HR for a couple of nights on an upcoming trip.

I have the PH booked for two nights on points, but there's no availability for the additional two nights (nights 3 and 4 of the trip) that I need. The PH is actually fully booked on night #3 (even the uber expensive specialty suites).

This will be my first time in Kyoto, and it's a trip that I've been very much looking forward to for a long time. I'd love to stay somewhere that has a good location (walkable to at least some restaurants/bars and interesting areas/sightseeing spots) and also has a sense of place. With this in mind, I'm really torn between the HR and the SLH property Sowaka.

I can't find much online about Sowaka, but between the size of the property (23 rooms total across two buildings), and the general architecture, it seems like the clear winner when it comes to sense of place. However, I also keep reading great things about the HR. I'm a bit skeptical of the HR not being cookie-cutter, but I've read through a good portion of this thread, and it seems like people are generally happy with it.

For the total cost including taxes and fees of the two nights I'm looking at, Sowaka would cost 89.5k JPY, while the HR would cost 32.3k JPY. That cost difference is not immaterial to me, though I'm willing to splurge to have a very memorable trip. After reading about people paying 50k per night for the HR, I recognize that 16k all-in per night is a great deal, even if I can't confirm a globalist suite upgrade in advance.

What are the chances I'll be disappointed with the HR, especially directly after a stay at the PH (also no suite upgrade availability)?
Old Sep 16, 2022, 2:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by ArthurSFO11
I'm looking for advice and recommendations on whether to stay at the HR for a couple of nights on an upcoming trip.

I have the PH booked for two nights on points, but there's no availability for the additional two nights (nights 3 and 4 of the trip) that I need. The PH is actually fully booked on night #3 (even the uber expensive specialty suites).

This will be my first time in Kyoto, and it's a trip that I've been very much looking forward to for a long time. I'd love to stay somewhere that has a good location (walkable to at least some restaurants/bars and interesting areas/sightseeing spots) and also has a sense of place. With this in mind, I'm really torn between the HR and the SLH property Sowaka.

I can't find much online about Sowaka, but between the size of the property (23 rooms total across two buildings), and the general architecture, it seems like the clear winner when it comes to sense of place. However, I also keep reading great things about the HR. I'm a bit skeptical of the HR not being cookie-cutter, but I've read through a good portion of this thread, and it seems like people are generally happy with it.

For the total cost including taxes and fees of the two nights I'm looking at, Sowaka would cost 89.5k JPY, while the HR would cost 32.3k JPY. That cost difference is not immaterial to me, though I'm willing to splurge to have a very memorable trip. After reading about people paying 50k per night for the HR, I recognize that 16k all-in per night is a great deal, even if I can't confirm a globalist suite upgrade in advance.

What are the chances I'll be disappointed with the HR, especially directly after a stay at the PH (also no suite upgrade availability)?
16K yen/night including T&S is an exceptional rate for the HR, and at that rate I would scoff at anyone being "disappointed" with the hotel. That said, the HR is not what you would call an aspirational property. There are some important cultural sites within easy walking distance, but very little by way of restaurants and bars (although lots within a short taxi ride). Most rooms are standard, so upgrades are sometimes difficult (same is true of the PH). If your top priority is the property and you are not concerned about passing up the great rate, then you might want to look elsewhere, but if your top priority is sightseeing it is a very good choice. At 16K/night you'd have a lot left to splurge on restaurants/bars or maybe something to buy (the HR has a nice gift shop).
Old Sep 16, 2022, 6:08 pm
was ShootinPutin11

Programs: AA-Plat, Hyatt-Globalist, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium, UA-Silver, DL-Silver
Originally Posted by OsakaWino
16K yen/night including T&S is an exceptional rate for the HR, and at that rate I would scoff at anyone being "disappointed" with the hotel. That said, the HR is not what you would call an aspirational property. There are some important cultural sites within easy walking distance, but very little by way of restaurants and bars (although lots within a short taxi ride). Most rooms are standard, so upgrades are sometimes difficult (same is true of the PH). If your top priority is the property and you are not concerned about passing up the great rate, then you might want to look elsewhere, but if your top priority is sightseeing it is a very good choice. At 16K/night you'd have a lot left to splurge on restaurants/bars or maybe something to buy (the HR has a nice gift shop).
Thank you for the quick response, you really helped me in making a decision.

You're absolutely right, it's silly for me to think I'd have been disappointed with the HR . It definitely looks very nice, and the exceptional rate is kind of hard to believe (in a good way). It's nice to hear that the location is a good choice for sightseeing, too.

That said, since this will be my first time in Kyoto, I'm eager to stay somewhere that has a bit of a different feel than the HR. Sowaka has really caught my eye, and while I'm not as confident in booking it as I'd like to be due to the lack of information online about it, I'm eager to give it a try. I don't know if it's accurate to call Sowaka a ryokan, but I've been interested in staying in one, and this seems like a good opportunity. I'll do my best to share my take on it in the SLH sub-forum after my stay, to help others in the future.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 11:54 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
I will say the unfortunate thing is that you'd be at the PH first, then the HR. If the order were reversed it would be a nice transition, but IMO going to HR after PH will be a notable downswing in your visit. HR feels like a business hotel inside, is situated near a fairly busy road/intersection, and the area just doesn't have any old city charm.

On the other hand it's just a hotel and you'll already be getting to experience two nights at PH, so if the price difference would mean you'd sacrifice better meals and/or experiences in order to pay for the hotel, then I'd just go with the HR.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 1:00 pm
was ShootinPutin11

Originally Posted by Lomic
I will say the unfortunate thing is that you'd be at the PH first, then the HR. If the order were reversed it would be a nice transition, but IMO going to HR after PH will be a notable downswing in your visit. HR feels like a business hotel inside, is situated near a fairly busy road/intersection, and the area just doesn't have any old city charm.
Thanks for the additional context about the hotel and vicinity, it's very helpful. That was also on my mind, the transition from the PH to the HR, rather than the other way around.

Originally Posted by Lomic
On the other hand it's just a hotel and you'll already be getting to experience two nights at PH, so if the price difference would mean you'd sacrifice better meals and/or experiences in order to pay for the hotel, then I'd just go with the HR.
That's very fair, the point of going to a new city is to experience it (including the food!), so I wouldn't want to sacrifice that just to stay at a nicer hotel. Looking at my trip budget, since it's only for two nights, the price difference will be manageable, even if I do like to get a good deal (and the HR is an awesome deal haha)
Old Sep 17, 2022, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA GS, Hyatt, Marriott

I stay in all three hotels. PH is new and good location but the cost is also very high. HR is a gem for its cost. Not that good location but it is OK. Sowaka is very different. It is a traditional Japanese ryokan style hotel.

Anyway, I do not think you will be disappointed for HR even you just stay in PH Kyoto.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 11:22 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Thank you for the quick response, you really helped me in making a decision.

You're absolutely right, it's silly for me to think I'd have been disappointed with the HR . It definitely looks very nice, and the exceptional rate is kind of hard to believe (in a good way). It's nice to hear that the location is a good choice for sightseeing, too.

That said, since this will be my first time in Kyoto, I'm eager to stay somewhere that has a bit of a different feel than the HR. Sowaka has really caught my eye, and while I'm not as confident in booking it as I'd like to be due to the lack of information online about it, I'm eager to give it a try. I don't know if it's accurate to call Sowaka a ryokan, but I've been interested in staying in one, and this seems like a good opportunity. I'll do my best to share my take on it in the SLH sub-forum after my stay, to help others in the future.
I definitely think you are making the right decision. I do not know Sowaka, but looking at their website it looks very interesting, and 45K yen/night including T&S and not at all unreasonable for Kyoto. The HR rate is a great value, but a great trip is about a lot more than just great value.
ArthurSFO11 likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 11:06 pm

Programs: AY Plat, Marriott Plat
Was about to make a reservation at HP for the easier access to the metro but then saw that the work from hyatt rate at HR comes with a daily 3000 JPY F&B credit. Year end rates at the HR are really shockingly low ~100 USD before taxes with a daily 3000 JPY credit. Almost no reason to consider the HP anymore lol
Old Sep 26, 2022, 2:21 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt globalist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mechu
Was about to make a reservation at HP for the easier access to the metro but then saw that the work from hyatt rate at HR comes with a daily 3000 JPY F&B credit. Year end rates at the HR are really shockingly low ~100 USD before taxes with a daily 3000 JPY credit. Almost no reason to consider the HP anymore lol
I wonder if the credit rollover to next day if you do not use it on the first day
Old Sep 26, 2022, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by xmzzn123
I wonder if the credit rollover to next day if you do not use it on the first day
I didn't stay here but stayed at HR Tokyo with the WFH rate which came with 5,000 yen daily credit. Any amount unused rolled over to the next day. So maybe HR Kyoto operates same way? (Though not owned by the same company)
Old Oct 8, 2022, 11:01 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt GP Platinum
Does this hotel have standard suites? I called Hyatt to use a suite upgrade and they said this hotel doesn't offer any...

*** Read the wiki above. Looks like 90% of rooms are standard rooms***

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.